Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have nothing to do today and living in the US?

Call your local library and ask if they are participating in National Gaming Day at Your Library!

If they say "Huh?", point them to

http://ilovelibraries.org/gaming

All US public libraries should have gotten a copy of Pictureka from Hasbro in the last week or two with information about the event.

If they are having an event, show up with some short and easy-to-teach modern board games and show people that there is life beyond Monopoly!

If they aren't, ask if you can show up with some board games to teach others. Tell them that they can then participate in the event!

Use this as an opportunity to make a connection with your community and get more local folks exposed to our social strategy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to do this if there was even a SINGLE library in the Minneapolis area that was participating but nope, not a single one. My state sucks. LOL

The nearest library participating in my state (only ONE, ONE!!) is miles away from where I live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be gaming at my local library in Laurel MD today from 12 to 5. However, I found I had to give them a big push to get the session scheduled. So, I can see where this is going to be "hit or miss" particularly with a real "top down" approach ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SteveO
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the website, in Little Rock, AR the Thompson Library at 38 Rahling Circle is participating, hope I get a chance to go.
Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard of this event before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I would love to do this if there was even a SINGLE library in the Minneapolis area that was participating but nope, not a single one. My state sucks. LOL

The nearest library participating in my state (only ONE, ONE!!) is miles away from where I live.

Did you check the one's in St. Paul?

Which one did you find that was participating?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in Ashland Oregon:
Ashland Branch Library
410 Siskiyou Blvd.
Ashland, OR 97520

"Ashland Teens are invited to participate in National Gaming Day at the Ashland Branch Library, 410 Siskiyou Boulevard, Saturday November 15, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. A Playstation 2 and GameCube electronic games will be set up in the Guanajuato Room, and several board games will be available in the Teen section of the library.

Hasbro donated a new game called Pictureka! to every public library in the United States. Libraries across the country are trying to set a record nationwide for the number of people playing the same game on the same day. The number of participants will be reported at the end of the day. Teens are invited to the library to help set the new record. Snacks will be provided by the Friends of the Ashland Public Library."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Los Angeles Public Library has NOTHING listed on its website.

Very sad. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
Did you check the one's in St. Paul? Which one did you find that was participating?

The library website discussing this is pretty clear cut - there's nothing in the Twin Cities at all - the one that's participating is way out west of Minnetonka, maybe 25 or more minutes west of Minnetonka...I can't recall the city but you're welcome to go check it out yourself, certainly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Rebertus
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that the Brooklyn Center library was participating...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I got to play at the Urbana Free Library today in Urbana, IL. It was a good time, and though we didn't get to Pictureka, we did see a number of people playing it during the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought my 12 yr. old son and his friend.
There were approx. 20 kids, all about my sons age. The range being mainly from 12-14 (that's a guess) a fair mixture of both boys and girls.

Two librarians hosted the event, one of which was a younger man, college age, who was a heavy D&Der (and brought a plethora of books etc. with him).

There were three video game consoles that were packed when I arrived, but by the end (as Scott has mentioned in the past) only one of the game consoles was busy and the kids were at the game tables. There was a table playing Magic, a table of kids learning how to setup characters for D&D, a group playing Pictureka and 3-4 kids with me at another table playing Jungle Speed, Fluxx and Condotierre.

Because of the success of today, the library has decided to have the game day on a monthly basis. I overheard all of the kids rolling D&D characters talking about getting to play their characters next month.

I will definitely be joining the teens next month to see how the game day progresses and bringing along new games for them to try.

A success all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FiddlersGreen wrote:

According to the site, as I've already mentioned, you thought wrong, unfortunately. Pretty lame. We just ended up playing at my house, as always.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
FiddlersGreen wrote:

According to the site, as I've already mentioned, you thought wrong, unfortunately. Pretty lame. We just ended up playing at my house, as always.

Don't complain about it to us, go and complain to a librarian. Find out why they didn't organise anything. It may be as simple as not having staff confident enough to teach the games. Maybe offer to help out next year so that your local library does do something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Truesdell
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My local library, or at least one branch, in Kenosha (southeastern Wisconsin) had an event planned. Unfortunately, because of a wedding I wasn't able to attend. I should stop and see how it went, and hopefully I'll be able to participate next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
wytefang wrote:
FiddlersGreen wrote:

Don't complain about it to us, go and complain to a librarian. Find out why they didn't organise anything. It may be as simple as not having staff confident enough to teach the games. Maybe offer to help out next year so that your local library does do something.

I don't care enough to make the effort - my point was simply that they shouldn't have a Nationwide event if they know that their local branches can't support the idea. That's just crappy planning, if you ask me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

I don't care enough to make the effort - my point was simply that they shouldn't have a Nationwide event if they know that their local branches can't support the idea. That's just crappy planning, if you ask me.

There are over 10,000 public libraries in the U.S. Libraries aren't a national franchise like McDonald's; there's no central body that can simply push something out. In fact, the reason why Libraries are still useful in a Google time is that they customize their information and services to the needs of a local group.

The American Library Association is simply a member-driven organization. Librarians don't have to belong any more than people who play board games have to belong to Board Game Geek. If BGG did a nation-wide event, trying to get all game stores to host a board game Saturday, many would not participate for a variety of reasons.

So, while marketing was put out through all of the ALA channels, there are many libraries that don't pay attention to the ALA. While the annual conference draws 20,000 people, there are over 100,000 librarians in this country.

Assuming all went well, all of those local libraries did get a copy of Pictureka from Hasbro along with information about the event. But, if those local libraries don't perceive that their user communities have an interest in games, there's no reason they should spend their time/money/space resources to run a gaming event.

That's where you come in.

You have to let the library know that you, as a tax-paying library user, have an interest in games. If the librarians don't see this but see other needs, that is where their focus will be.

Libraries have a hard time reaching teens and adults without kids. These groups don't tend to see that the library has anything to offer, so go elsewhere. So, libraries respond to the people who are expressing a desire.

That was my hope in posting here - if anyone reading this called their local library and expressed interest, then that raises the chances that next year, more folks will be involved. If you grumpily turned your back and indicated no interest to the library you support, then they have no idea that they have an unhappy patron and the chances that it will be fixed is very small.

Public libraries exist because communities pay for them. They serve the needs of the public that supports them. If they aren't meeting that need, then if you let them know that, they can work to fix it. (Yes, they should be more proactive in reaching out, but if they already have enough expressed needs to use up their time/money/space resources, that slips as a priority.) If they don't know that they didn't meet your needs, then the chance they can fix it is very small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.