Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came across this lucky gem from a game trade and have been playing it for several months with friends. While I agree the rules can be a pain in the butt, it gets easier once you've played it a few times. After playing several times as Napoleon and stomping all over the Allies, I finally decided to try out the 1813 scenario and see how I could keep Napoleon alive.

1813 Your troops are in MY Germany!

The situation looks grim for Napoleon Bonaparte as the allied forces of Austria, Russia, Prussia, and Britain have him surrounded. His forces are outnumbered on all fronts, but he still has a few surprises up his sleave. When two Allied armies, one Austrian and another Prussian and Russian, attack him in Sachsen, he brilliantly outmanuevers his enemies with INTERIOR LINES and easily smashes both armies one at a time.

Despite the defeat in Germany, Wellington engages Marshal Soult in Spain, but he fails to bring the French to battle. Soult wisely withdrawls rather than risk a victory for Wellington, but he knows the day of reckoning will come soon.

Both armies go into winter quarters for the remaining part of the year, but the Austrians lose one corps due to winter attrition. Napoleon still holds a commanding position although the situation is desperate indeed.

1814 Year of the Emperor!

In a stunning blow, the Austrians withdraw completely from the war. With one enemy down and two more left, Nappy prepares for the final hammer blow against the Prussians and Russians. He masses his armies for a lightening strike in Germany and again deals the Allied armies a devastating defeat in Brandenburg. He is very close to forcing Prussia's surrender but lacks the large number of troops. Alexander! Where are my legions!?

However, the situation in Spain is getting worse. Wellington has called up Spanish volunteers and received reinforcements from Britain. He engages Soult at Catalonia and deals a crippling defeat to his adversaries. France is now wide open to invasion from his enemies.

Fortunately, luck again intervenes for Nappy. An unexpected cold front hits Europe and winter arrives two rounds early in Europe thus depriving his enemies of a chance to march into his rear. With the Austrians gone and the Prussian and Russian armies on the ropes, Nappy prepares to settle accounts with the British and hold on for one last year.

1815 Nappy's finest hour!

But like the Russian winter, Nappy's luck had finally changed. The British bring the Austians back into the war and Napoleon is recalled from Germany due to ROYALIST REVOLTS. Unable to fight on two fronts, Nappy prepares to smash the British and then deal with Schwartzenberg's enlarged army.

Amassing six corps Aquatine, Napoleon moves against Wellington utilizing his powerful GRAND BATTERYS and ART OF WAR to smash Wellington who scores only one loss against the French forces. Although exhausting his armies, Nappy uses his French cavalry in PURSUIT of Wellington's fleeing forces. The entire British and Spanish army is annihilated and Wellington is killed in the retreat.

Only hours after his epic win, Nappy is forced to march his exhausted troops back to Paris for a final last ditch defense. Schwartzenburg completely avoids the French army in Germany and invades France marching straight for Paris. Nappy wins the race back to the French capital, but he loses the battle due to troop exhaustion and lack of numbers to counter the eight corps Austrian army.

Forced to abdicate, Nappy wisely surrenders to the Austrians rather than the vengeful, angry Prussian or Russian armies. He retires to the island of Elba to write his memoirs and always wonders why he gets a strange feeling in his bones whenever he hears the word "Waterloo."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. It makes we want to break out the game and play. Either that, or Soldier Emperor. I should be receiving the new and updated second edition rules for that game soon in the mail. I'm getting that Nappy itch lately. Little does Nappy know whats coming after Elba !
Shhhh ! Don't tell him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, you'll have a blast as either Nappy or the Brits. I had a hunch that the 1813 scenario would be brutal, but I didn't realize how truly terrible it could be. I've also been itching to try out Soldier Emperor, but I want to give Soldier King a crack first. I've good stuff about both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.