Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to be able to get into this game. I like the idea of wargames, and I haven't "cut my teeth" on any games really similar.

The games I usually play are axis and allies/samurai swords/blood feud style amerigames.

I hear this is one of the better and newer wargames out...is this good to start on or will I be left scratching my head? Will it be easy or hard to teach to a friend or two who enjoy the same types of games I play?

Thanks! The game looks awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't really do better than this one. The rules are not very hard to understand, and they are organized so that you learn the first few rules and then there is a simple scenario you can play. Then, you learn a few more rules and then there is another scenario you can play. The sum total of the game is really easy compared to most wargames, but this method of "scaling" the scenarios in complexity from simple to full rules makes it even easier. I highly recommend the game, and I think you will have lots of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Take it easy, and don't just read the rules - actually set the bits out in front of you. It's a simple game for a wargame, but the interaction of the rules gets very very involved - with players reacting to the active player's every action. The secret to this game is, there are no special rules - every unit uses the same rules (within the unit type's category - infantry, truck, tank, etc) - so you really can learn the entire set of rules, you don't have to keep checking for exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:

I hear this is one of the better and newer wargames out...is this good to start on or will I be left scratching my head? Will it be easy or hard to teach to a friend or two who enjoy the same types of games I play?

The only real complexity in this game has to do with the dynamic (interrupt driven, if you will) nature of all possible actions that might occur on a single turn.

Most wargames fall into two broad categories in terms of how units are activated:

1) You activate (move and fight) all your units and then your opponent activates (moves and fights) all their units. That ends a turn.
2) You activate a unit (usually a move) and then your opponent has an opportunity to respond (usually shoots at the moving unit). When all your moving is done, then you fight with all your units. Your opponent does likewise (and you react likewise), and that ends a turn.

In this game, there is a LOT more interaction between the players during the "active" players turn. Essentially, every action (even moving a single hex) is likely to cause a reaction (which could be a unit movement or a unit fire command) and then a reaction to the reaction, and then a reaction to the reaction to the reaction, and then....well, you get the idea. Some of my friends and I joke that you could almost play an entire game on a single turn, there is so much potential action/reaction going on. (But it's just a joke...the game limits the amount of actions you can take on any given turn.)

So the complexity comes not from having to look up a lot of information in tables, (which is typically one of the complaints regarding "complex" wargames,) but from trying to understand the best way to maneuver your units (and manage your "action points") based on the current tactical situation.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks guys..I can't wait to check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is another thread with a flowchart of the interrupt-driven movement that may help or may confuse you. I have played the game with my son who is eight. He is neurologically atypical, but he's still eight, and we had fun. I haven't played the second firefight yet, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with this game! rules are really clear and well written, you'll not have problems!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Tim above, new players will take a little while getting their head around all the different opportunities they have to take an action.

In most games this bit is very simple and formal, usually some variation of your go my go. Concentrate on getting this activation sequence over to your friends and you should be alright.

The actual rules for moving, shooting and hand to hand fighting are very simple and you don't have to look anything up, everything is on the counters.

Apart from all the components being very good quality and pretty, the selling point for this game is the command system. It is superb, but it is also the bit that may be a bit confusing at first to a new player.

Unlike some games, the first few scenarios in this game are EXCELLENT learning scenarios, you start really basic and build up slowly.

What I now do with a new player is to play them at scenario 1 for about 30 minutes, they have the basics of the game then. Then jump to scenario 4, which is an excellent scenario with a bit of everything, most players want a few tanks in their game, scenario 4 is the first scenario with tanks

Andy
PS One of my all time favourite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos O.
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andywatkins1963 wrote:
The actual rules for moving, shooting and hand to hand fighting are very simple and you don't have to look anything up, everything is on the counters.

Apart from all the components being very good quality and pretty, the selling point for this game is the command system. It is superb, but it is also the bit that may be a bit confusing at first to a new player.

Apart from what Tim has commented (which is, basically, the main points about the game), you are right about the counters even to the point of contradicting about the Command system (though you may not realise): Uwe insists that the CAPs system reflects the logistics and quality of officers and training of each army. That's reflected not only by the ammount of CAPs a given firefight may allow you but also in the counters themselves.

At first I was wondering about officers (as I was thinking on a CC:E, Lock and Load or Eisenbach frame of mind) but if you start comparing the counters of one nationality and another and the use of CAPs you understand the logic behind it. For instance: the difference between the fire APs for a T-34 and a Pz.III is quite significative and reflects all the factors mentioned above. Then if you take into account the possible uses of CAPs for group/coordinated actions, modifying die rolls or reacting actions you can assimilate it to preparation for an action of such kind or something similar. Eventually, the officers are there, just like the mortar spotters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WEI-CHENG CHENG
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught my friend, who has no experience of any war game and also played few boardgames before, how to play this game for 25 mins (5 mins for history background in WWII east front) and we started to play the first firefight for 40 mins and he defeated me and we played this firefight twice after all.

It is easier than what I thought to access.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is more complicated than any Euro you care to name, but still easy to learn, because it isn't abstract or nonsensical. The rules make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great intro wargame. For me it is my second wargame (after Battlelore.)

With this game I found that it is both easy to learn, and easy to teach.

Gameplay, though, is complex and deep - learning to play is easy, learning to play well will take time. If you're used to playing eurogames and ameritrash, you -will- enjoy this game, but if you play it against a seasoned wargamer, you will find them to be quite a challenge, even if they haven't played the game before and you have.

Each individual firefight is also like learning a whole new game, strategy-wise. If you like games where you learn a strategy or two and stick to it every time you play, you will find that doesn't come close to working in this game. I find every time I play this game, especially playing a new firefight, I have to be constantly learning new things as I play or I do not do very well.

For me, I think that is great - I can hardly imagine getting more bang for the buck than this game. With most eurogames and ameritrash games (including games that I enjoy a lot), once I get whatever strategy I plan for the game going, I can almost go in autopilot, knowing what I'm going to do and how I'll react to my opponent(s). Going into autopilot doesn't work in this game - you will be constantly on your toes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the hardest part for me was getting past the command and color type games I usually play of order, move attack. The free format just threw me. Once you understand the AP can be used however you want it made more sense. Of course its more realistic and give you the chance to move attack and move again if you plan well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.