Red November» Forums » Rules

Subject: Token Actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Tritone

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've read the rules many times, seen the examples at FFG, searched the threads here, and still have a few basic questions about Actions.

1. Do you ALWAYS need a token to perform an Action? I'm referring first to the so-called "Token" Actions (Unblock, Extinguish, Pump) implying you NEED to use a token/item to affect the fix.

The play example at FFG for fighting the fire used a token for a +3 modifier, which implies you always need some kind of token to perform any action. So, for example, you could Unblock a door with a Crowbar token, but could not unblock the door if you have no tokens.

I guess the same question applies to the other (Room) Actions too. You need an applicable token for these as well?

2. I also question the following rule that applies when you FAIL at extinguishing a fire.

If the Extinguish Fire action fails, the active player must make a supplemental move to exit the room to an adjacent room, spending time as per the normal movement rules. If he is unable to exit the room (because he is trapped by high water, fire, and/or blocked hatches), his gnome will die this turn.

I don't understand how you can be in a room that is on fire, move into an adjacent room that has high water spending time as per the normal movement rules, and be trapped? Under the normal movement rules, opening a hatch to a room that is high water should reflow the water into the room he's in, allowing him to enter this new room because both rooms are now at low-water. By the way, the fire in the previous room is now extinguished, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No. Tokens are simply bonuses you can apply before your roll.

2. If you fail to extinguish a fire you may move one space to "escape"; IF you can that is If of course you could simply move to an adjacent room filled with high water, this would equalize the water in the two areas, and thus putting out the fire. LUCKY YOU. One would wonder why you tried to put out the fire in the first place rather than simply equalizing the water
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
tritone wrote:

1. Do you ALWAYS need a token to perform an Action? I'm referring first to the so-called "Token" Actions (Unblock, Extinguish, Pump) implying you NEED to use a token/item to affect the fix.

I think your confusion is that they're called "Token actions". You say this implies you need to use a token to fix. I think they're actually called Token Actions b/c if you fix them, it REMOVES a token (a fire, a water, or a hatch block).
You attempt removal by yourself, or use a token modifier for a bonus.

As to your other question, good point, I'm not sure how you could escape a failed fire extinguish into a high water room. Maybe they were just generally pointing out that if you are ever in a high-water room and can't escape (in some other scenario) then you would also die, and they just worded it misleadingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Tritone

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all! I was confusing "token" with "items", thinking you needed a token (item) to resolve one of the "token actions". I'm glad I got that wrong.

JohnnyDollar wrote:
As to your other question, good point, I'm not sure how you could escape a failed fire extinguish into a high water room.

I also found the "answer" to this question as well. The wording I quoted in my OP was actually from the downloadable PDF. When I read the same passage in the actual English rulebook, the phrase "trapped by high water" is gone! They must have caught that situation before printing and fixed it... but did not fix the online PDF.

So, thanks to locusshifter for pointing out the obvious solution to that scenario... dousing the fire by opening a door adjacent to a high-water room!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.