United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
2 questions:

1) A player has the messenger ally (special ability: Discard The Messenger to avoid being devoured)

During the final battle, the player loses his last point of sanity. Can the player discard the messenger to prevent being devoured? If so, how many sanity does he then have?

2) The Escape from Arkham Asylum mythos card says to put 3 maniacs on the Downtown streets, "drawing them from the monster cup, then from the outskirts, then from those claimed as trophies." If one is already on the board, I assume only 2 maniacs can then be placed.

If an investigator defeats all 3 maniacs before the end of the next turn, they get to draw an item. Assuming that one of the maniacs was already on the board, does a single player have to defeat all 3 of the maniacs by the end of the next turn, or does he only have to defeat the 2 that were placed by the card?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
imyourskribe wrote:
2 questions:

1) A player has the messenger ally (special ability: Discard The Messenger to avoid being devoured)

During the final battle, the player loses his last point of sanity. Can the player discard the messenger to prevent being devoured? If so, how many sanity does he then have?

I don't have the card here, but my interpretation on rules like this is to take them as directly as possible.
The Messenger prevents you from being devoured, but it doesn't change anything else about your character. So you survive being devoured. Your character still has 0 sanity. You're immediately devoured again.
End result: Sorry, the Messenger seems to be useless in the final fight.

Quote:
2) The Escape from Arkham Asylum mythos card says to put 3 maniacs on the Downtown streets, "drawing them from the monster cup, then from the outskirts, then from those claimed as trophies." If one is already on the board, I assume only 2 maniacs can then be placed.

If an investigator defeats all 3 maniacs before the end of the next turn, they get to draw an item. Assuming that one of the maniacs was already on the board, does a single player have to defeat all 3 of the maniacs by the end of the next turn, or does he only have to defeat the 2 that were placed by the card?

I would say only the 2 - because if the other maniac is in a different location, there would be no way for a single investigator to engage all three in one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree: discarding the Messenger would leave you on one sanity point, doing what it says on his card and preventing you from being devoured. Otherwise it would have been errata'd like the healing stone to be discarded before the final battle.

Also, if you can't place all 3 maniacs on the Downtown streets for whatever reason, you cannot claim the exhibit item for killing them as you would have to kill all 3 in one turn.

My 2 pence . . .

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1) The Messenger is tricky an danother fine example of CotDP not being clearly written.

I think the consensus on the FFG boards is that the Messenger would be useful in some Final Battle circumstances and not others.

If you are being reduced to 0 Sanity, you can discard the Messenger but you would still be at 0 Sanity. Immediately after discarding the Messenger, you would be devoured again. Reason: ANY time an Investigator is at 0 Sanity in the Final Battle, they are devoured.

On the other hand, GOOs that have a condition that say, "if you have 0 clues, trophies, etc. or you are devoured" are only checked at the start of the GOO's attack. Discarding the Messenger at this point saves you and you won't be checked until the next GOO atack - meaning you can get one more investigator attack in with that particular investigator.

Make sense?

2) The Escape from Arkham Asylum intends for you to defeat ALL 3 maniacs. If they are already on the board and not in teh Downtown streets, it will be unlikely that you will kill them all (as you only have one turn to do so). There are spells that bring monsters to you, so it is till possible to gather them all at one spot and have them killed with some coordination and luck.

Also note that these are not special monsters and are not placed on the card; they are placed on the board - which then makes them subject to limits - which means they could go right back to the outskirts again.

At least, that is how it should be interpreted as written. No errata exists for either card...but it should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.