Capitol» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.M. Diller
United States
North Street
flag msg tools
I was thrilled to death when my shiny new, sealed Capitol arrived today earlier than I had expected(1 day priority mail!) So, I called my mom, which sounds pathetic I'm sure, but she loves German games and asked my wife to try it out with me. I'd had the benefit of playing once before at the recent Waterford, MI gathering, so I had a rudimentary strategy in place for my second game. Remembering how lost I was in regards to strategy for much of my first game, I suspected I would trounce my opponents, which I did 56-39-39. Sadly I can't take too much pride in defeating first-time players, even if it was only my second game. Capitol is definately a game where you need that first game to get an idea of what good strategy will be.

The game was actually close throughout, but I managed to pull away in the last round. One thing that I picked up on this time was how important it can be to wait during the construction phase for your opponents to exhaust their moves before you make your big moves. Generally in our other games, it doesn't seem to matter all that much as to when you build stuff as long as you get it accomplished during your turn. In Capitol though, I was able to steal districts several times by waiting and building after I figured they wouldn't be able to outbuild me during that round. Sounds like basic strategy, I know, but it took me one game to realize how important it is. Of course, now they realize it too and won't let me get away with it as much.

The three player game played out better than I expected, since I figured there'd be too much real estate available and would therefore lower our competition for various districts. However, the fact that some districts are better then others(by possessing fountains) and that sometimes you just don't have the right cards to build where you'd like, made for a pretty intense game despite the lopsided final margin.

Overall, a great first game together as we got used to the nifty mechanics. I'm looking forward to several more games!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.