Subject: Nationality bonus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Campeador
Spain
Santander
Cantabria
flag msg tools
I´m a rookie player, with minor experience on this game, but I think the most frustrating thing in a Welly´ game is the nightmare of an entire Army suffering up to 3 or 4 loses !!, in a battle against 1 sole enemy SP. gulp (Ok, this situation shouldn´t be so frequent according to statistic, but may happen... and did happened to me).

These unrealistic results are mainly possible by means of the nationality bonuses. Thus, I suggest to limit the aplication of this bonus to the cases in which attacker or defender SPs, respectively, have an accompaning leader with them. So, if you don´t have a leader with your formation, you can´t benefit with the extra dice for nationality.

I´m going to test this variant in an upcoming game. What do you, experienced players, think about this house rule?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the results are unrealistic. Small well-trained well-equipped forces can readily inflict severe casualties on larger untrained and poorly-equipped ones.

The effect of restricting the Nationality bonus to Leaders is to weaken the French position considerably. The Spanish player is already in a good position to wear the French down with attrition: without their Nationality bonus he can do so with impunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
IF you do that there should be no way the French should win, except against an inept opponent. The game is effectively a race between the French maintaining their advantage and the Spanish dominating. The game is balanced this way.

It's not unrealistic, because if you rush a lone strength point on, say, the other side of a river, while your opponent still has a fist full of cards, you are actually assuming a lot of risk, which actual Napoleonic commanders would have been savvy about.

What you may want to do is to spend command points committing small formations repeatedly against the site. One at a time if you have to. Even if your opponent has a fistful of battle cards he'll be reluctant to spend them against inferior forces. It is costly in terms of command points but less likely to result in a debacle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.