Subject: Spartacus vs Hannibal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The description of the game reminds me a lot of Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage with the map and strategy- and battle cards.
What makes this game feel different? What are the main differences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LOL.... From the title of the post, I thought there was a scenario in the game that allowed Spartacus and Hannibal to fight it out even though they lived some 150 years apart. I was intrigued. But it seems that you just want a comparison between the two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of differences.

I would say one of the biggest is that, with Spartacus, the core victory conditions mean that there is a sort of "game within the game." Remember, this is a battle for what the Roman Republic will look like-- in many ways it is a civil war (altho many people think J.Caesar/Pompey was the first Roman CW), and actually "Spartacus" the slave revolt is only a small part of the game. The players are working to control terrain- like Hannibal-- but they are also working within a core scoring mechanism that is mostly outside mere terrain. The "Roman" player has to balance how many troops he has and what leaders and events he plays against their effect on this scoring track. He can be "winning" the battles but still lose the game because the "victory" costs too much change to the fabric of the Republic.

I think the tension and game choices will be very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Rodriguez
Spain
Aviles
Asturias
flag msg tools
Is the combat like Hannibal, with battle cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
argaur wrote:
Is the combat like Hannibal, with battle cards?

The game comes with Battle Cards.

The game's combat system is dice-based (roll to hit after applying modifiers). The Battle Card system is included as an optional rule for those who want to use it. The designer has tailored the BC system to reflect the results you get from the dice system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.