Mutant Chronicles Collectible Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Building army rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pål Arnold
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When building a army, is there any limitations to how many units, command cards or tokens you can use? For example, if you play a 3/3/3 game, can you have 5 units, 2 command cards and 2 tokens? or 4 units, 4 cards and one token? Crazy examples, but just to figure out the rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right. The limitation is on the colour of the stuff you put in your army, not the type. So you could for instance have the following in a 3/3/3 army:

5 units (3 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze)
2 Command cards (1 silver, 1 bronze)
2 order tokens (1 silver, 1 bronze)

I wouldn't recommend it, though.

And on a bynote. I've only played a few times, but I believe you'll need at least a 5/5/5 army in order to get the full experience. And you HAVE to play with the victory zones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mads B. is entirely right in both his answer and his suggestion that playing 5/5/5 or higher, will better provide a clearer example of the game in action than playing at lower amounts. We found that 7/7/7 is the sweet spot both from a time standpoint and fun perspective. 10/10/10 works well if both you and your opponent are dedicated and have some time to put into a match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pål Arnold
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanx!
My girlfriend is running the localgaming store, and I have convinced her to order all the MC stuff, so I cant wait to start playing (Im a old Warzone fan, and Im looking forward to lead the Dark Ledion again devil )

How is the map size in the starter pack for a 7/7/7 or 10/10/10 game?
Is it also possible to use multiply maps together to make a bigger battlefield?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ward
United States
x
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The map size is good for 7/7/7. It might be cramped for 10/10/10, but two maps fit together well. Our largest problem is that the black walls on one map don't show easily and it's sometimes hard to see where LOS falls when thinking of moves and trying not to telegraph.

"Gee, Bob, do you mind if I move your Golgotha for a second so I can look for LOS for my sniper shot? Thanks."

We have Heroscape, and have tried to duplicate the map ala the pictures online here at the Geek. MUCH easier to see LOS then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc VC
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what descent army would you suggest 2 7/7/7 armies?
I just have the starter, any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are planning to buy 3-4 boosters like you've indicated on the other thread...my recommendation is to focus on the two factions that come with the starter...namely: Algeroth (demon faction) vs Capitol (human faction).

the boosters I recommend for Algeroth is:
1) Gommorian Hammer
2) Warmaster's Legions
*NOTE: Gommorian will give you the much needed long range artillery for your Algeroth army. You may even want two... Warmaster will give you the command card recycler for this faction.

Boosters for Capitol:
1) 13th Banshee Division
2) Advanced Recon
*NOTE: Ranger commmander that comes with Advanced Recon is the command card recycler for Capitol...not to mention the backbone of your Ranger army. You may even want 2 of this pack because ranger commanders are a premium asset to ranger focused Capitol forces. You want at least one 13th Banshee Division for the cool fighter and banshee hero.

My recommendation for any other spenditure in this game would be to grab the Lost Legions (maybe two or four) pack(s) while supplies last. It's $10 + shipping...which is a deal for 14 minis.

Actually forget what I said above...just get two Lost Legions direct from FFG...you'll thank me later. If you have problems getting that shipped overseas, check out this thread...there is a german seller (ID: Dominik) that may accomodate you:

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

If you have a few hundred dollars or euros to spend on this game...try to build on the other faction like Bauhaus (European/German flavour with focus on armor and artillery) or the Brotherhood (melee army with strongest access to "magic" or command cards and a demon hate that will not die). Lost Legions will provide some Bauhaus units to start play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc VC
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super, thanks a lot for the info!
I've already contacted FFG if it was possible to get Lost Legion in Europe. I got a response, but still am awaiting reaction of their French contact. Well I'll see

Edit:
As recommended I've gotten myself a Gommorian Hammer, Warmaster's Legions, 13th Banshee Division and an Advanced Recon booster.
Which was 8 euro's a piece, in a store not too far from work. That seemed like a good deal. I've also ordered 2 Lost Legion's from FFG as it's actually cheaper than ordering 2 through the German seller. I'll try out the game this weekend, just to be sure I like the game enough to justify the money ;p.

Thanks again for the assistance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, but watch for customs...I paid a surplus of $17 for my LLs when I had it shipped across the border.

The above 4 are the best bang for your buck for Algeroth & Capitol...now get to fightin' and expand more if it 'clicks' for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc VC
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ruvion wrote:
No problem, but watch for customs...

I've checked the customs website, all shipments with a value below 22 euro's should be no problem. So 2 Lost Legion's should sneak past them .
If it clicks with the game, I'll probably ask more advice on what boosters to get next ;p.

Oh, I plan to discover a bit of Canada end of august, so maybe I can buy you a beer when I'm in Toronto .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Send me a line when you drop by!
What better pastime than brushing up on your French and being drunk at the same time! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc VC
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ruvion wrote:
Send me a line when you drop by!
What better pastime than brushing up on your French and being drunk at the same time! devil

Hehe, that I will do.
I'll arrive in Toronto the 23rd of August.
I've already established that drinking and talking French are compatible.
At least to a certain degree .

Oh, I've played the game yesterday (5/5/5). We're planning to play it again next week, probably going to switch to 7/7/7.

With the Lost Legions on their way, I wondered if the Nepharite Overlords
pack is any good, as I don't have any unique's for the Algeroth forces.

Also, are the 6(x2) Bauhaus units enough to get the feel of the faction?
Or should I also get some boosters for those? If so, which ones would you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad things are going well for you and MC. It's always nice to find out when the game you've plunked down major $ for (or Euros as the case may be) turns out to be actually fun.

You mentioning 7/7/7 reminds me of my own adhoc 7/7/7 Cooperative 2v2 game yesterday. There are no official rules for coop play, but it was a fun 3 hour experience nonetheless after you cook up some house rules. In that game, two players were using Bauhaus units solely drawn from 4 Lost Legion packs. So to answer your question on the Bauhausian matter: Yes, it gave us a good feel for the faction. I will add some boosters later on, but I'm satisfied for now. My own priority is trying to get together a workable Brotherhood faction ASAP. If you are looking for boosters I would recommend Vulcan's Fist and Order of the Bear. Vulcan's Fist for the Silver rank Battlesuit: a staple of Bauhaus I may add, striking fear everywhere. Order of the Bear gives you access to new units: Bear Troopers. Venusian Command booster is not bad, but you are getting Silver and Bronze Venusian Rangers in Vulcan's Fist anyways...so leave that for later.

Nepharite Overlords put a face (or faces) on the map for Algeroth, but I wouldn't starve myself trying to get those first. More often than not, the Gommorian and Tekron Warmaster saw more action in that melee than the Overlords. Having said that, Alakai is not bad...and Golgotha will see some action with her promo command card in play (included in the Lost Legions). Her two attacks ability is none-too-useful without the powerup.

If you are anything like me and are really into building and customizing your army...then a 2nd or even a 3rd starter set is a must. You need it for better command card options. For example, in our coop melee last night, our Algeroth player's force was composed nearly entirely of 2 based units. Even with two Beastial Speed command cards (the one that gives +3 to speed), he felt he woulda done better if he had incorporated a third. The extra dice and tokens from the starter sets are an added bonus. Eventually I will get a 4th starter after my Bauhaus and Brotherhood armies are complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc VC
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MC is a pretty good game, and the whole army customization is cool.
And for non-miniature gamers, the figures look pretty good.
If the fixed maps get tedious, I'll just use the Heroscape terrain.

After my first play, I was thinking on a second starter, for the map, dice and specially the cards. I'll probably go for Nepharite Overlords, Vulcan's Fist and Order of the Bear. Then I think I'll have enough for a while, and play with those 3 armies until I'm more familiar with the game.
With some luck I'll find some very cheap boosters at Spiel this year.

Your own adhoc 7/7/7 Cooperative 2v2 variant of the game does sound very, very good. As in general I have it harder to organize 2 player games.
(Although a friend is moving soon, in walking distance from where I'm at, so that shouldn't be much of a problem ).

Is there something as a typical mix of units/cards/command in a 7/7/7 session?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing typical in a 7/7/7 match I would think plus I'm no MC veteran by any strech of imagination, but I would figure you would need some tanks, ranged damage dealers, and some magic-users (ie those with high command icon access). Bauhaus and Algeroth have plenty of the above, but the Capitol forces lack meat-shields and make that up by way of range & mobility (a trickier faction to play all-in-all).

Our last game saw anywhere from 7 to 8 minis, 5 to 8 order tokens, plus 5 to 9 command cards IIRC. The guy with the high number of command cards woulda done better with more units and order tokens, but that's just me and my opinions (re: I was on the winning side and he was on the losing end of the stick).

The VP threshold I used for the 7/7/7 component 2v2 coop play is as follows:
component number (this case 7) x 3 x 1.5 = VP threshold of 31 (rounded down).

Currently I'm tinkering with a working morale rule and reinforcement rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc VC
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ruvion wrote:
Currently I'm tinkering with a working morale rule and reinforcement rule.

Do you have any more info on the result of your tinkering?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.