Popular Tags: [View All]
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I enjoyed a 2 1/2 hour session of eight consecutive games of Dominion (two-player, face-to-face). We started with a random set, and then would randomly remove/replace two cards between each session. It was awesome. It also confirmed my suspicion that the designers of the game have lost their minds.

Why on earth do the rules recommend starting with the basic set-up? It's the most boring possible way to play the game!! It's like the design team looked at the 25 cards and agonized over which 10 would be the least fun to play, and said, "that's a great place to start." What were they thinking! Sheesh!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoodster
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What would you recommend as a good set to start with? My wife and I played the game for the first time last night with the basic setup. She liked the game, I was underwhelmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk about boring, our last random set up had no cards that allowed extra actions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Why on earth do the rules recommend starting with the basic set-up?

Or maybe they thought...

Let's pick a set of cards that introduce the basic card actions so that after the first game or two all players, gamers or not, have the basics down. Oh, and let's give it name that shows that it does exactly that so people can move on to the other decks if they want - let's call it the Basic Deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Talk about boring, our last random set up had no cards that allowed extra actions

We do this and also setups with no extra buys. People complained at first until they got 1/2 way through a game and realized the extra tension this adds as you have to be even more efficient. I think this also adds more importance to 1 and 2 point VP's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad I'm reading all this on BGG before I get the game. I wouldn't want to play a couple of hands, be underwhelmed, and put it down. Of course, I'm usually very patient with a game, giving myself at least a half dozen plays before I pass final judgment. My gf, on the other hand, is a little quicker to put it back on the shelf in the time-out corner...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, we tried these two ways to set up a four-player game:

1) Deal out 6 cards at random, then each select one other card to be included,

2) Deal out 14 cards at random, then each select one of those cards to be eliminated.

I think the "first game" setup works just fine, though. There are a number of possible strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that a single game isn't a huge time investment, I'm not sure I see the problem here, unless it's that one would be so underwhelmed by one thirty-minute play as to chuck the whole thing, which, even as profligate as I can be with board game spending is a bit much.

I've only played two games, both last night, and the basic setup, which we used for the first game, didn't seem to be a problem at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
Why on earth do the rules recommend starting with the basic set-up?

Or maybe they thought...

Let's pick a set of cards that introduce the basic card actions so that after the first game or two all players, gamers or not, have the basics down. Oh, and let's give it name that shows that it does exactly that so people can move on to the other decks if they want - let's call it the Basic Deck.

Yeah, it's that "if they want" part that strikes me as incredibly fool-hardy on the part of the designers. The rules should suggest the basic variant in the same way the "family game" is mentioned in the Agricola rulebook. Try it if you're in the mood for a gentle-yet-bland warm up. Otherwise, skip.

EDIT: Whenever I see another player drop the Village-Smithy combo, a small part of my soul dies. Even worse is when I have to concede that, given the set-up, it's a solid move. Even worse is when, given what I'm trying to achieve, I find myself doing it (rare). Anyone else feel the same way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Quote:

We do this and also setups with no extra buys. People complained at first until they got 1/2 way through a game and realized the extra tension this adds as you have to be even more efficient. I think this also adds more importance to 1 and 2 point VP's.

Agreed. Set-ups lacking extra buys, extra actions, extra cards, or some combination of the three invariably present some of the game's most interesting challenges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
Given that a single game isn't a huge time investment, I'm not sure I see the problem here, unless it's that one would be so underwhelmed by one thirty-minute play as to chuck the whole thing, which, even as profligate as I can be with board game spending is a bit much.

I've only played two games, both last night, and the basic setup, which we used for the first game, didn't seem to be a problem at all.

Well, one of the things I like about BGG is being able to hear so many varying opinions and experiences about each game. Ever since Dominion came out, everybody's been talking about it like it's cast in solid gold, so expectations are running very high for new buyers. I like to hear a little bit behind the hype so it's not like waiting a month to see the Next Big Movie and then hating it before I see it because everyone won't shut up about it.

But, yeah, I don't see myself getting tired of a thirty-minute game after two or three plays unless it plays worse than Go Fish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stoodster wrote:
What would you recommend as a good set to start with? My wife and I played the game for the first time last night with the basic setup. She liked the game, I was underwhelmed.

I'd give "Big Money" a try. Really, once you get the basic idea of deck-building-as-you-go, proceed directly to dealing out ten random cards. You might make sure to include the moat for a few games but after a while that's not necessary either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Dweeb wrote:
Yesterday, we tried these two ways to set up a four-player game:

1) Deal out 6 cards at random, then each select one other card to be included,

2) Deal out 14 cards at random, then each select one of those cards to be eliminated.

Hmmm. Doing either one sequentially gives a lot more control over the game flavour to the late pickers than the early ones (as they get to react to early players' inclusions/omissions, and make/break combinations as a result).

Doing it simultaneously doesn't seem to have a good allowance for duplicate picks (unless each player selects from a distinct subset of the leftovers).

I wonder if the best way to do this, to avoid later selectors gleaning too much info from early selectors, is something akin to "Citadels" - of the N leftover Kingdoms, deal N-5 of them to player 1, he picks one, passes the rest on, the next player picks, one, passes the rest on. The players can't have much more than a fuzzy guess what earlier pickers actually picked, and what was in the excluded-from-circulation pile (5 in my example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They wanted to introduce all of the core concepts of the game and give beginning players some straightforward strategies to employ without overwhelming them with esoteric cards or requiring them to discover a convoluted strategy to build a good deck.

The "First Game" set introduces:
+1 Action/+2 Actions
+1 Coin/+2 Coins
+1 Buy
+1 Card/+3 Cards
Trash a card
Gain a card
Discard a card
an Attack card
a Reaction card

Some of the basic strategies one can try:
Village/Smithy
Militia
Mine/Remodel

The cards that have generated the most questions here on the Geek are absent from the "First Game" set. That is not an accident. You're better off learning these cards after you already have mastered the core concepts. For example:
Gardens
Witch
Spy
Thief
Throne Room
Library

The developers spent a lot of time coming up with the "First Game" set, and the playtesters (of which I was one) played a lot of possible card combinations before finding one that worked well.

Perhaps a hard-core gamer could just jump right in with any random set and be okay, but not everyone learns at the same speed and most people aren't as experienced at learning games as we are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first session with the game, we played the Basic set first.

One player came away with the impression that the "Village/Smithy" combo was king, but then, he hadn't been the winner. I was. While I had used that combo, I also used Mines and Cellar to improve my deck and hand, which he had not.

I would have no qualms about using the Basic set to teach new players, but would want to move to random ASAP.

Fortunately, the game allows this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am one of the players that at least in the beginning like to play with the fixed sets and would also get recommends on other cool sets which I can play with. If you are playing it extensivly I can understand that you want random sets because fixed sets will be analysed, but as a casual gamer I find the fixed sets more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Actually the base set is one of the harder sets to play. The optimal path isn't immediately obvious. Big Money is the boring one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I enjoyed a 2 1/2 hour session of eight consecutive games of Dominion (two-player, face-to-face)

Can you repreat that? Only 2,5 hours for 8! games?

That makes 18,75 minutes per game! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about a dozen times, mostly with the "first game" setup. I still enjoy it, and I still find new card combos to use. I have also tried random setups, and would personally never use them to introduce players to the game--imagine a game with a witch, a thief, no gardens, and no chapel... A fine mix for some, but not for a first player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannes wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
I enjoyed a 2 1/2 hour session of eight consecutive games of Dominion (two-player, face-to-face)

Can you repreat that? Only 2,5 hours for 8! games?

That makes 18,75 minutes per game! surprise

Yeah, and a couple of those were a bit long because the gardens and the witch were in play. I think it's reasonable to play face-to-face games of Dominion in ~15 minutes. 4-player games, maybe 25 minutes. I know the BSW folks play in 5-10 minutes, but I really don't care about the time they're "saving."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
I've played about a dozen times, mostly with the "first game" setup. I still enjoy it, and I still find new card combos to use. I have also tried random setups, and would personally never use them to introduce players to the game--imagine a game with a witch, a thief, no gardens, and no chapel... A fine mix for some, but not for a first player.

Certainly. You can do 9 random and a moat for the first handful of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah - you generally talking about virtual gameplay - not real life?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannes wrote:
Ah - you generally talking about virtual gameplay - not real life?

No... what I meant to say was that, in real life, 2 player Dominion takes ~15 minutes. On BSW, it's even faster.

Pretty weird for the new BGG superstar, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise surprise surprise
Oh Boy!

A 2-player takes us 'here' for about 1 hour, so I thought: 30 minutes? maybe per player?

15 Minutes is the time it takes us to make up our minds what decks to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hagen
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
age agree eek egg erg gag gage game gamer gee geek gem germ keg kegger mag mage meek mega merge reek rem
mb
I was the other player. Yeah, for FTF we played pretty fast, but we've had enough time to get familiar with the cards and all. You can make a lot of decisions on the other player's turn - even if you have card draw you can figure out a decision tree to cover 90+ percent of what might happen.

I actually like the starting set, but mostly because it contains both Remodel and Mine, my two favorite cards ever. The only problem I have with it I would have with any preset setup; I prefer to think on my feet. I've taught enough games of Dominion that I know how I like to play the First Game. (Not optimal play necessarily.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.