Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys.

1. If the movement is optional and if i choose not to move, then can i still use (let's say again) the help of the villager im standing at? So i don't need to move then get back so i can use it again?

Example : I start the game on a Buddha tile. Can i imediatly get the Buddha as choise of help from villagers, or do i need to move and move back later to get it?

2. I'm at a corner tile and there is a 3 Yellow and a 2 Yellow ghost near me. Do i need to roll for both independently or do i need to role once for both?

3. If actually the 4th location is getting haunted, regardless of them being in the same line, the game ends?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. Yes.

2. You roll once (and use tokens if necessary) for both.

3. Yes, in the beginner game you lose when a total of any four tiles are haunted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an official Ghost Stories answer person, but I can tell you how my group plays it:

1. Yes, you can use the same tile again without moving.

2. You roll one time and allocate dice to ghosts as you wish. So in your case, if you roll 3 yellow dice you can kill either ghost but not both (unless you have two yellow tokens).

3. Yes.

Good luck!

Edit: D'oh! Too slow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys! :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After having returned from BGG.con, the woman who was representing and teaching the game stated that you had to CHOOSE how to fight BEFORE rolling the dice, ie . . . you are fighting corner ghost #1, or fighting corner ghost #2, or fighting both. You then roll, and if you dont meet ALL OF the criteria you set for yourself, you do not kill ANYTHING.

So say you have a corner with ghost #1 with 1 blue, and ghost #2 with 2 yellow. You choose to fight BOTH. You roll a blue, yellow, and black (and have no special tokens). According to her, NOTHING dies (even though with the explanation above, the blue ghost would go to hell). This was today, my last day of the con, when I had already played it with the "roll-and-then-distribute-dice" mechanic that everyone else thought. She stated that if you are able to read the rules in French, that this is very clear. I, unfortunately, cannot. This game was hard enough before the ruling, and this "new" explanation totally castrated us. We died miserably on the "introductory" level.

The English rules do not imply this, but then again, they are wrong or vague in a few other areas, so I dont know and cannot infer.

Could Mr. Bauza rule on this please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Antoine, can you please answer us on this matter?

Q: Corner. Ghost1 with 2 red and Ghost2 with 3 red. I roll for both. I roll 2 red and one black. Can i use only 2 red to kill the first or can i use the 2 red to kill firstm then with one red tao token added to kill the second?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You DEFINITELY cannot apply hits to two ghosts simultaneously. Single hits are meant for single ghosts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
sshawmd wrote:
After having returned from BGG.con, the woman who was representing and teaching the game stated that you had to CHOOSE how to fight BEFORE rolling the dice, ie . . . you are fighting corner ghost #1, or fighting corner ghost #2, or fighting both. You then roll, and if you dont meet ALL OF the criteria you set for yourself, you do not kill ANYTHING.

So say you have a corner with ghost #1 with 1 blue, and ghost #2 with 2 yellow. You choose to fight BOTH. You roll a blue, yellow, and black (and have no special tokens). According to her, NOTHING dies (even though with the explanation above, the blue ghost would go to hell). This was today, my last day of the con, when I had already played it with the "roll-and-then-distribute-dice" mechanic that everyone else thought. She stated that if you are able to read the rules in French, that this is very clear. I, unfortunately, cannot. This game was hard enough before the ruling, and this "new" explanation totally castrated us. We died miserably on the "introductory" level.

The English rules do not imply this, but then again, they are wrong or vague in a few other areas, so I dont know and cannot infer.

Could Mr. Bauza rule on this please?

Odd. The French says:
French Rules wrote:
Une moine que se trouve sur l'une des quatre tuiles de coin du village peut exorciser les deux epmlacements adjacents et donc potentiellement deux fantômes. Le joeur doit botenir leur résistance à tous les deux avec les dés Tao et d'éventuels jetons Tao dépensés.
Unless there is an implication there that isn't there in English, I think the standard interpretation which has been in use is the accurate one.

Actually, at the SECOND example there: Bruce is adjacent to two boards. He only wants to exorcise ONE because of the Zombie's Curse. But, because he rolls well enough to banish BOTH, he is required to banish both. If it were declaration before rolling, Bruce would have declared "I wish to banish he Coffin Breaker," and the Zombie wouldn't have been an issue. It's the same example in French. Sounds like the demo person at BGG.Con made a mistake.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man the rules I saw used for this game at BGG.Con were all over the place. Towards the end of the con everyone seemed to be moving onto the same page. Here's how I understand it:

The very nice ladies at the Asmodee booth weren't quite right in the exorcising 2 ghosts rules.

1 - You roll the dice. (There is no declaration that you trying for a 2 ghost kill)

2 - You allocate the dice to kill the gosts as you wish. (You MAY kick in Tao tokens)

3 - If the dice and/or persistent effects (Prayer Circle, yellow monk's Sutra, etc) would add up to exorcise 1 or 2 ghosts then you MUST exorcise those ghosts. If there's only enough "hits" to exorcise one of the two ghosts, you choose which.

I hope that helps. Of course the designer has the final word.

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes a LOT more sense, and its damned hard enough!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye, but sill i'd love a post from Antoine here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arvias wrote:

Q: Corner. Ghost1 with 2 red and Ghost2 with 3 red. I roll for both. I roll 2 red and one black. Can i use only 2 red to kill the first or can i use the 2 red to kill firstm then with one red tao token added to kill the second?

You cannot use the same die for both ghosts.

In your example, you can :
- use the two red sides to kill the ghost with 2RED
OR
- use to the two red sides + 1 red token to kill the ghost with 3RED

You do not have to target one of the ghost before rolling the dice !
You roll and you see what you can do with your result and tao token : if you can send the two of them to the discard pile, lucky you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mersi! :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toinito wrote:
Arvias wrote:

You do not have to target one of the ghost before rolling the dice !
You roll and you see what you can do with your result and tao token : if you can send the two of them to the discard pile, lucky you

Thats what I thunk -- we didnt play that way, as the rep was watching over us, but we were all pretty dubious about the rule that some kind of declaration needed to be made before the dice-roll.

Until the rules are clarified in English, I would make sure that your game reps are aware of this!! Thanks for the great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
sshawmd wrote:
Until the rules are clarified in English, I would make sure that your game reps are aware of this!! Thanks for the great game!

A small word in defense of the Demo Team (veering a bit off-topic for the thread, sorry):

It's not easy to be on a demo team, as you need to know the rules for multiple games well enough to teach them.

Not only that, but you don't always have much time to learn the new games. I know I botched a few rules in Jamaica demos at GenCon this year because I'd never even heard of the game until Wednesday morning. And Jamaica isn't exactly a difficult or complex game.

I don't know what their BGG.CON setup was, but Asmodee generally has more games available for Demoing in their booth than many other companies - at GenCon this year,we had Senji, Okko, Ca$h 'n Gun$, Mall of Horror, Mission: Red Planet, Jungle Speed, Jamaica, Dungeon Twister, Ave Caesar, Wicked Witches Way ... it makes it tough to keep up on all of the rules all of the time.

And yes, I would have spoken up in defense of the Demo Team regardless of the company in question. The fact that it's an Asmodee Demo Team in this case just means I'm more likely to spot it.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.