Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
To help "share around" all the latest and greatest new stuff, we're sectioning off part of the Oak Ballroom for "Hot Games". Here's where you'll find the Agricola's and Galaxy Trucker's of last year and the Space Dealer's of the year before - the games you can never seem to check out of the library.

To make sure these games aren't checked out and then "parked for a bit", you can't check them out - come to the room, wait around long enough and you'll get to play. No scheduled start times, no sign-up sheets - we're not hassling with the paper & pens and taking the extra time to call out names. You're there, you play next. If 10 of you are there and there's only 4 spots open - we expect the 10 of you to have politely and courteously figured out which 4 were there first.

With everyone I've ever met at BGG.CON, expecting common courtesy has never been a problem - don't be the first to disappoint me.

I've got 8 tables in this room, and with your help I'm going to pick the games that go in here. I expect to adjust this throughout the con if a game or two isn't getting the interest, and I hear from the library staff that there's a different game or two constantly being checked out / requested. There will be signs outside the Hot Games Room and the library showing which games are currently "Hot".

The tables are 8' long, so I've got room for 12-16 games depending on size.

These are going to be there for sure:

Space Alert x2
Le Havre x3
Duck Dealer x2

Here's where you get to tell me what else should be in there. Obviously if there's something I haven't listed, it's a huge oversight on my part and please enlighten me.

Poll: Hot Games
What else should start in the Hot Games room?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
After the Flood
32.8% 22
Cavum
20.9% 14
Chicago Express
25.4% 17
Cities
3.0% 2
Comuni
22.4% 15
Dominion (also available at Rio Grande)
26.9% 18
Ghost Stories (also available at Asmodee)
28.4% 19
Giants
14.9% 10
Heads of State (also available at Z-Man)
4.5% 3
Municipium
17.9% 12
Planet Steam
50.7% 34
Powerboats
29.9% 20
Princes of Machu Pichu
25.4% 17
Snow Tails
20.9% 14
Sator Arepo...
11.9% 8
Steel Driver
29.9% 20
Sylla
16.4% 11
Wasabi (also available at Z-Man)
20.9% 14
Voters 67
This poll is now closed.   67 answers
Poll created by CaptainQwyx
Closes: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:00 am

Final thoughts:
- this is a first time trial for us - suggestions are welcome, whining is not
- this is going to be a lot of fun - for this kind of thing I'm not big on organization, rules and procedures - be guided by common sense and common courtesy
- Derk has challenged me to a side-by-side teaching duel of Space Alert - he says he can teach it faster. While I agree his table might be listening to the CD faster, at least my table will know which buttons to push when the space pirates start coming out of the woodwork/ether. You get to decide who has more fun... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I basically chose the ones I was personally most interested in playing, rather than ones I think will be most desired. I guess if enough of us do that, there's your cumulative "hot list".

CaptainQwyx wrote:
- Derk has challenged me to a side-by-side teaching duel of Space Alert - he says he can teach it faster.

I'd rather learn a game correctly, as opposed to speedily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just a fantastic idea, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

Clearly you're a better match with Jeff as a 'splainer. Duly noted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
No entry for The Name of the Rose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This list predates Essen, but it might have some stuff on that you'd like to include. These games are 'statistically hot'!:
Top 100s: BGG Rank vs. Plays Rank vs. Owned Rank: Hot & Popular Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Seriously? Two copies of Space Alert? The game is already rowdy enough by itself, but with the audio it's going to be disruptive to other games being played. I guess I'm going to have to avoid this room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mellby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wonder how the audio for Space Alert will go.

(I admit as well that Derk's "teach-them-quickly" and let
them make mistakes appeals to me. I'll help take on Jeff's team!.
I know I'm going to play the game wrong at the start, so why
not have a teacher that embodies those qualities?
Hmmm - this is wrong on a lot of levels.)

Anyway - I voted for games that won't be easily available
and deserve play. Dominions is ubiquitous and Ghost Stories
(a great game) seems to be leaning that way.
Comuni, OTOH, won't be as broadly available and
needs to be better known. And not many places where Planet Steam
can be found.

What about rotating these minor games out? Maybe put 5-6 other
in on Thursday - Friday, and change then on Saturday - Sunday.
(Probably too much confusion for the first try, but think
about this for next year.)

Thanks for the good work, Jeff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion, Comuni and Steel Driver were winners. Cavum was a big Meh.

Added: Duck dealer was alright. Very mathy. I have a feeling a bunch of people will want to play it, if for nothing else it may be the only chance a lot of people will get a chance to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having participated in a game of Space Alert with both Jeff and Derk, I can attest that this will be an intersting competition.

I predict Planet Steam and Sator will make appearances on Hot Games tables and by the end of the show we'll have had 3 tables of Space Alert set up.

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea! I think I'll be camped out in this room for most of the con.

The Space Alert soundtrack shouldn't be too terrible; it should be about as loud as another human voice at the table, but no louder.

There's an annoying klaxon in the background, but it's far enough in the background that it should only irritate the table playing the game.

How are you guys for a CD player and speakers? I was planning on bringing my iPod and portable speakers, but the less I have to pack, the more room I'll have to bring crap back better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

CaptainQwyx wrote:
- Derk has challenged me to a side-by-side teaching duel of Space Alert - he says he can teach it faster.

The safe money's on Jeff's table. ;-)

Randy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should Battlestar Galactica be in the list of "hot games"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:
This is a great idea! I think I'll be camped out in this room for most of the con.

The Space Alert soundtrack shouldn't be too terrible; it should be about as loud as another human voice at the table, but no louder.

There's an annoying klaxon in the background, but it's far enough in the background that it should only irritate the table playing the game.

How are you guys for a CD player and speakers? I was planning on bringing my iPod and portable speakers, but the less I have to pack, the more room I'll have to bring crap back better.

We are covered for the required audio equipment for Space Alert. I do not think it will be overly disruptive to other games going on in that room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinb9n wrote:
Should Battlestar Galactica be in the list of "hot games"?

I'd vote for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiny Epic Trickster
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Down along the creek, I remember something
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:

Clearly you're a better match with Jeff as a 'splainer. Duly noted.

You did a great job as a Teacher with us, Derk. I hope you aren't despondent over our apparent learning disabilities.

Now as a Captain...but I won't go there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalasta wrote:
Seriously? Two copies of Space Alert? The game is already rowdy enough by itself, but with the audio it's going to be disruptive to other games being played. I guess I'm going to have to avoid this room.

Ironically the ambient noise from other games in the room made playing Space Alert more difficult more than it disrupted players in other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiny Epic Trickster
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Down along the creek, I remember something
mbmbmbmbmb
Lothartvni wrote:
Zalasta wrote:

Ironically the ambient noise from other games in the room made playing Space Alert more difficult more than it disrupted players in other games.

I played it there twice. The volume on the CD players was kept pretty low. The intentional distortion on the soundtrack gave me more trouble than the ambient noise. Like all sounds, once you know what's coming you can pick it out easier, spread spectrum-wise.

While playing elsewhere in the room I was spooked out a couple times by the low mumblings and eerie tones of the CD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.