Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As my game collection approaches 200, I'm finding that 1960: The Making Of The President is my favorite. Unfortunately, the people I game with the most often dislike it for its learning curve--newbies are always hard-pressed to finish well against any experienced player who knows the deck fairly well.

As a result, my wife won't play it with me anymore, nor will my best friend, who finds the game too chaotic because of one player's ability to un-do the actions of the other. And I don't get to game nearly often enough against my friends who love the game as much as I do.

This game is crying for an online version, one that comes complete with a decent AI player.

Yes, I've downloaded the wargameroom version of the thing, but I'm not enough of a computer geek to make it run. In any case, it doesn't include an AI, so it requires me to find another boardgamegeek who is a computer geek to boot!

I keep hoping to stumble through here and find that one of you computer geeks has written the program I need. So far, I must say, I'm very disappointed in all of you.

So get on the stick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gametableonline.com is working on a version, don't know if it will have AI or not.

Though, if you ever wanna play it on VASSAL/wargameroom, I wouldn't mind an opponent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dick, it took me a little while to give wargameroom a try. But it really is an excellent implementation, and if you go to the lobby, Bruce (the programming and owner of the site) will walk you through. There are always players available.

That said, I think the GTO will have AI, so that will be a good option for you when they are ready.

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Jay said the GTO version will not have AI, at least intitially. I really hope it does, though... That's a game where I really need to take my time studying the cards and learn some different approaches for, and even a weak AI would be helpful for that. In fact, with or without AI, I think that version should have the option of a longer than normal wait time between moves, at least at the beginning of each turn, to accommodate reading through your cards and planning your strategy at the beginning of each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargameroom covers all my online 1960 needs. GTO implementing 1960 thus strikes me as a redundant effort, but perhaps some will prefer their GUI or just not make it to the wargameroom site...

As for an AI, well, competent computer AIs are rare and I doubt a single programmer/small team could create one of good calibre. Not that there is really any need for one. There's a big enough pool of 1960 online players, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert cabrera
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gametableonline is a lot more user friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hill
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Grudunza wrote:
I thought Jay said the GTO version will not have AI, at least intitially. I really hope it does, though... That's a game where I really need to take my time studying the cards and learn some different approaches for, and even a weak AI would be helpful for that. In fact, with or without AI, I think that version should have the option of a longer than normal wait time between moves, at least at the beginning of each turn, to accommodate reading through your cards and planning your strategy at the beginning of each turn.

Most of the games at GameTableOnline have an option for "unlimited" time between moves.

Once it goes live, if there is no AI, I wouldn't mind playing some games with you while you learn the cards.

I have this strange feeling that there will be a lot of people playing it at first, just like when A&A went live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badfish20 wrote:
Gametableonline is a lot more user friendly.

Definitely. I could only get the Wargameroom implementation to work twice for 1960, out of several attempts. GTO is much easier to get up and running and the layout should be easier to deal with for 1960.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesf wrote:
As for an AI, well, competent computer AIs are rare and I doubt a single programmer/small team could create one of good calibre. Not that there is really any need for one. There's a big enough pool of 1960 online players, after all.

You'll have to prove it to me, Charles. I've got my wargameroom copy of 1960 rolling and I'm looking for a game. I've played 1960 plenty, but I'm a rookie as far as using this program goes, so anyone who is willing to walk me through it would be welcomed as an opponent.

As for developing an AI for this game, yes, I can see where that would be a pretty daunting task. There are so many different possible situations that can be in play when you consider the use of any single card! Of course, that's probably why the game is so darned fascinating in the first place! Coming up with an algorithm (or whatever it would take) that could account for all the possibilities would be quite a trick. I'm still holding out hope that somebody pulls it off, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if perhaps the delay in getting 1960 on GTO is because they are adding an AI version, after all. Here's hoping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to dispel any fantasies here, but the initial game on GTO will not have AI. We don't have a plan in place for an AI at the moment but I will not rule out that we might have one in the future. We love having AIs for our games but the resources involved for creating one for a game like 1960 are more than we have available at the moment.

Having said that, I will say that I believe that our implementation of the game to be far and away better than other online versions that you may have tried. Our guys know UI and they do it well. In fact, this game will feature a number of upgrades to our standard UI.

Add to that the ability to find a large group of people who are on the site at all hours looking for games to play and you have the opportunity to jump into a game when you want to play it.

GameTable Online has been experiencing record growth for the past 3-4 months. Both in the number of people registering for the site as well as the number of games that we've added this year over past years. We have a great mix of games to satisfy a wide range of tastes.

Unfortunately, we're also late with getting 1960 out due to a number of factors. It's very, very close... but it's not done yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Donohue
United States
Berlin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
So, I don't want to make any promises yet, but I may have time to work on an AI for the game. As mentioned in another thread, the game is live on GTO now, and basically done other than some final art/interface touches. I have a number of other things that I want to work on, but I will be putting some thought into 1960 AI. It would be a challenging AI to write, but if I come up with what appears to be a decent approach AND I have the time, I would like to give it a shot.

Sean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.