Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Jenkins
United States
Henderson
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

On Sunday, the gaming crew (with me on the left, Shea in the middle, and Billy on the right) sat down for a session of my personal favorite game, Arkham Horror.

I drew Bob Jenkins, the Salesman, for my character — which, given my last name, was amusing. Shea ended up with Sister Mary, the Nun, and Billy played Joe Diamond, the Private Eye.

The Great Old One, drawn by Shea, was to be Yig. I remembered reading that he made for the quickest game, but we ended up forgetting the rule that would have made that more true when we failed to advance the doom track for each cultist killed (two, by Bob -- a salesman who employs pretty tough, shotgun-emphasized tactics).

I was pleased with the assigned starting equipment. Bob ended up with a cross and a shotgun, not to mention an elder sign and a book he'd later use to acquire a couple of spells. Joe Diamond got his .45, dynamite, and a rifle. The sister got a skill-boosting and one offensive spell to go with her holy water and cross, so I felt like we were ready to get to grips with the servants of Yig right off the bat.

And that we did.

I battled the cultist at the initial gate and would eventually seal said gate with an elder sign, slowing Yig's doom track a bit.

It was shortly after this point, however, that the investigators got bogged down trying to close gates, be it from interference from wandering monsters or simple failed rolls to close a gate after emerging. As the game wore on, every time it seemed like we got lucky with a monster surge or a gate that fizzled on an elder sign, we'd lose that ground almost immediately with a couple of turns of opening gates while we failed to close another.

Eventually, after about 3.5 hours of play (we were plodding as it had been more than a year since most of us had played the game), we realized we couldn't win by closing gates, and rushed to prepare for Yig's inevitable arrival. We didn't really accomplish this as Mary replenished her sanity but lacked stamina, while Bob experienced the exact opposite circumstance before Yig made his appearance. This was crucial, because Yig's successful attacks equally blast both statuses.

The curse at the start of battle really hindered us, but we were able to fight through — plinking away at Yig the first couple of rounds, removing a couple of the doom tokens with some hard-earned sixes.

Bob was the first to shake the affliction and started gaining traction in the fight thanks to the boosted successes from the shotgun. Mary held on bravely but was the first to succumb. Eventually, the mounting penalties from Yig's attacks mathematically eliminated Bob as he could no longer make the necessary speed checks ... but the Shotgun-toting salesman was at least able to help take the beastie down to his final doom token. Then, in what mathematically seemed to be the certain last round, Joe Diamond shook his hex and managed to blast away at the reptilian monstrosity with his rifle — successfully delivering the final blow and saving Arkham (and all of human kind) from destruction.

This marked the first time this group of players had ever successfully bested a Great Old one.

Because a couple of gratuitous Bruce Campbell references were made during play, I found it impossible to resist mixing in some audio from that cinematic masterpiece, Army of Darkness, with my soundtrack. The riff about the Boomstick was especially appropriate given the carnage wrought by Bob Jenkins' double-barreled weapon in various instances during the game.

There was the occasional gripe from the players about the impossibility of snuffing the GOO's arrival by gate closure, and some discomfort with our lengthy re-acclimation to the game, but by the time we finally got to the showdown, the fulfillment level I've always appreciated in this game was on display. I have yet to play a game that has a more dramatic climax than Arkham horror, and I look forward to playing again in four weeks, adding an expansion or two to assure new and exciting challenges for the investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ya'itz Yer'moov
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
All That We See Or Seem
badge
Is But A Dream Within A Dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
...wow... awesome. next time perhaps get a more birds-eye-view of the board and table, so that it is less like watching a guy snack for 3.5 hours. other than that, Good Stuff / Happy Gaming.

( goo ) ( goo )

\_________/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jenkins
United States
Henderson
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Point well made. If you've seen many of my previous time-lapses (notably my most recent ones for Touch of Evil http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2783701 and Rattlesnake http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2806900), you'll know I usually achieve a bit of a higher vantage. This time, however, I was hurt by the fact Arkham Horror takes up the whole table, and my kitchen is going through a "furniture transition" this month, so the elevated perch I've used for my primary time-lapse machine (which is actually my laptop) wasn't available. In this case, the Macbook was actually mounted on top of my Tannhauser game box which, in turn, straddled the arms of my daughter's high-chair.

I'm still experimenting with setups using an external camera on a tripod, but I tend to aim for something low-impact on the play setting, so you catch us in our natural habitat, so to speak. That being said, I want to make the kinds of videos folks would like to see, so I'll definitely consider this effect the next time I shoot a game.

Ultimately, though, I think this video speaks to the importance of geek-fuel. If it weren't for the chicken pot pie, chocolate pie, cheese puffs and Pringles, I'm not sure our brave investigators would have had the endurance to make it through to the bitter end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ya'itz Yer'moov
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
All That We See Or Seem
badge
Is But A Dream Within A Dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked that Touch of Evil time-lapse vid of yours, that worked really well. I think it is great that you include the cleanup in the vid.
you should creat a geeklist= Games that look great on Time Lapse Video. probably already exists (too lazy to look it up now)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.