Subject: Monsters Menace America comparison? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick glance at some of the reviews here on the Geek and this game sounds more than a bit like Monsters Menace America (MMA). Is this assumption correct? A friend just gave me this game, unpunched no less, but I already own MMA.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
There are similarities (but I doubt I would have thought of this without your post). A major difference is in the end game. I like both of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a better game IMHO, though I like both. MMA is great light bashing fun in the build up, but the dice off at the end is a bit of a fizzle. The similarity here is simply building up your monster. In GAMR you do that by collecting both power pods and weapons/equipment. The support units in GAMR simply add to the attack strength like weapons and monsters do. That is, they CAN attack by themselves, but are best used in support of monster encounters. In MMA, they attack as individual units, if that makes sense. The goal in MMA is to build strongest monster then let dice off decide between 2 strongest. In GAMR the goal is to "Trash" all opponents fortresses. You don't need to directly fight another monster to do this. This makes manouevers more important in GAMR. MMA wins for components, GMR wins for play. Both are worth playing, if you and your gamers have a lighter side and can just have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! A friend of mine just got the expansion for Gamma. I'll have to see what's in it to see if I want one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy of this recently off of eBay and it does look like fun. Sadly even though the description said near mint, it was actually far, far worse, even had water damage. So sold it for a huge loss at a local gaming flea market.

If another one pops up in better condition I might pick it up again. Seems like a really fun game. The components aren't great but was thinking of remaking the unit counters on wood blocks. The expansion comes with all new monster standees which are nicer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kameron Gibson
United States
Delphi
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this game years ago, but never got around to playing it before it was sold at one of our garage sales... I've played MMA, and found it to be fun, even though I agree that the dice off at the end kind of fizzles. Once I get another copy of this, I'd love to see how it compares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.