Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, this has nothing what-so-ever to do with board games but I figured some of you are probably browsing this web-site at work, maybe a bit bored, and looking for anything to make the day go that little bit quicker.

On November the 7th I got married at 1.30. If you’d asked me on the morning of November the 7th whether I’d recommend getting married I’d have said “hell no!” as I was a bag of nerves (which isn’t at all what I’d expected). However, the day was absolutely brilliant and (now that it’s done and behind me) I’d whole-heartedly recommend getting married, it’s great!

Unless you’re going out with some sort of psycho. Probably best not to in that situation.

A couple of weeks before the wedding I had my stag do. We went to do laser tag with these guys – www.laser-mission.com. If you don’t know, laser tag is a bit like paint ball but instead of using paint guns you get to use frickin’ laser guns! I’ve got to say, after having now done laser tag I much prefer it to paint ball, not least because you don’t have to wear one of those facemasks that are constantly misting up! Also, all the guns were modelled after the weaponry from Aliens, which is a definite plus.

We were split into two teams. Here’s team 1:

I’m not sure what they’re supposed to be but if we were in America I’d imagine them to be some sort of militia out-fit who live in the woods and think the government is planting bugs in their breakfast cereal.

My team was supposed to be some sort of Swat outfit. Here’s the first few out of the hut, looking worriedly down at the militia men:

I took a little longer to emerge as my best man had arranged this rather fetching outfit for me:

(That’s me on the right. I like this picture as it makes my look huge. Sadly, the reality is that the chap I’m standing next to is only knee high to a hobbit).

The laser tag was brilliant fun and once it was over we all retired to our log cabin out in the woods for drinking and merriment. At the end of the laser tag I thought to myself “great, I don’t have to wear this sodding dress anymore". I whipped it off only for my best man to produce the ‘evening gown’ they’d been keeping back for me:

Scary, isn’t it? Even more worrying was the fact that someone (who clearly must have had a few drinks too many) thought that in my red dress with my big black army boots on I looked a little like Mila Jovovich off Resident Evil. This was all the prompt we needed to attempt to re-film Resident Evil in 3 minutes. The film hasn’t been uploaded yet but I’ll link to it once it has been. It’s very funny (although probably funnier if you know the people acting stupidly in it).

We rounded the night off with a trip to the local village pub, which just had to be on a road called:

Anyway, that’s the stag do done with, on to the wedding itself. We got married in a little old church in Cardiff. Here’s a picture of me and ‘the wife’ Rachel outside:

She looks gorgeous and I look ok, if a little like a gargoyle.

After the wedding we went on to Caerphilly Castle for all the ‘after-wedding’ stuff. We were trying to keep the wedding cheap, but the castle was the one extravagant thing we went for. Here’s what the castle looks like from the outside:

And here’s the room from the inside:

Rach’s sister decorated the place and she really excelled herself, it looked amazing. Rachel’s mum is/was a professional wedding cake maker – she made all the cakes for the wedding, which were great, but the best cake of all was this little fella:

All completely edible apart from the armatures for his appendages which were sparklers!

And in a nutshell, that’s it! Now that I’ve written all this into Chit Chat I suddenly realise what the blog function of the site may be for. Oh Well!

Here’s a disgustingly mushy photo to finish with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Your might want to leave the dress wearing to your wife from now on, based on these photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Scott
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great photos and it looks like it was a fantastic wedding. This is the kind of setting that my wife really wanted, and I bet your new wife was thrilled to have such a beautiful wedding/reception in such an elegant venue!

Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder whether I can convince my fiancee that we need a dalek cake...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations from a huge fan of marriage and married life.

I'm particularly envious of the castle! (hmm...Castle Envy?) Not really an option for us here in the States.

Many happy more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
See, in America, if you want to have the after-wedding stuff in a castle, you first have to pay to have a castle imported from Europe, so it becomes spendy very fast. That's why my wife and I had our after-wedding stuff in a bar.

Congrats, and you look very cute in that dress!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your wife is beautiful.
Castle wedding is freakin' awesome!
You need a haircut.
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments chaps. We're lucky with castes in Wales - apparently there's more per mile than any other country in the world!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I almost missed this thread, just like I missed the wedding (sorry about that).

Congratulations to you both.

Anywhere nice for the honeymoon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
Thanks for the comments chaps. We're lucky with castes in Wales - apparently there's more per mile than any other country in the world!

You can thank King Edward for that! (although Caerphilly was not one of Edward's initial designs, he was responsible for many of the Welsh castles still standing today).

Caerphilly is gorgeous - probably one of the best looking Welsh castles still standing. Excellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
I almost missed this thread, just like I missed the wedding (sorry about that).

Congratulations to you both.

Anywhere nice for the honeymoon?

We went to Paris for the honeymoon (and also my 30th birthday as it happens). Ended my birthday on top of the Eiffel Tower. Thanks again for the wedding gift, very generous of you.

I forgot to mention - we had a hog roast at the castle, accompanied by the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack! My girlfriend ... ahem, wife ... lets me get away with a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
panzer-attack wrote:

You can thank King Edward for that! (although Caerphilly was not one of Edward's initial designs, he was responsible for many of the Welsh castles still standing today).

Caerphilly is gorgeous - probably one of the best looking Welsh castles still standing. Excellent!

Yeah, it's ironic that castles are kind of one of the icons of Wales and yet they were mostly built to subjugate the Welsh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.