Ken Dean
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Amish Tech Support
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first play of Word Blur was a success, with some reservations. Two teams of three. The rules were short and concise so we jumped right in. One of the players on the other team watched our clues in addition to their own. That was a rule violation and made the competition too uneven so we clarified it and began again. There was plenty of interaction but things bogged down badly when the clue givers became intent on finding specific words for clues. One resorted to overlapping tiles to make new or partial words out of frustration.

The high point was when my opponent and I had to elicit the word "bidet." I frantically searched for the clue "butt" that I had seen earlier but I soon realized it would take too long to find that particular clue. I spotted "bath" - that was a start. But it was of course too general. The answers were all over the place. Then my eye alighted on "rear." I put the two clues together, first as "rear bath" then as "bath rear." The mental image it conjured up was just right. We won that round.

The other team won by winning many low point words. I'm agree with the designer's post elsewhere - [q="wordblur"]With new players, I like to have describers pick "any word" on the description cards for the first couple rounds. Usually just go for the easy ones. Once people get the hang of it, they loosen up and can have some fun. q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.