June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20081115/en_top_eo/69018

Looks like Monk is only going for one more season. Be kind to Blott today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear...oh deary deary dear...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a long conversation with some friends about Monk the other day, and I have to say this news doesn't surprise me. The one thing that separates Monk from many other TV series, is the fact that they never really changed their formula. In general, each week you got what you expected.

Unfortunately, for the majority of TV watchers, they can only tolerate so much of the same thing. Audiences get bored, no matter how good the product is that they are feasting on. That's why so many shows "jump the shark". They are desperately grasping at something to draw their audience back in or to attract a new audience.

If there's one thing I can say about Monk, it's that I never felt like the series "jumped the shark". They have consistently and regularly delivered based on the original concept of the show. A season 1 episode isn't that far removed from a season 5 episode, except for the cosmetic change of Sharona to Natalie.

If they conclude the series with a nice little ribbon to finish off the package, I will be a happy camper. I will always have all the seasons on DVD and will cherish them as comedy gold and pure entertainment. Thanks for the greatest series of all time, USA!

Always a devoted Monk fan,
Blott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's smart for shows to go out while they're on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott,

That's really the same way I feel about the entire situation. It's not as if any show can really go on indefinitely, and Monk has yet to go downhill in my eyes. As long as they tie leave us with no loose ends, I will join you on that camping trip. Too many great shows wait just ONE season too late and leave the fans with a bad taste in their mouth.

Do I think Monk could pull off another couple of season? Probably. Am I devastated they're pulling the plug while there are still people who would notice the plug being pulled? Not really. Better to quit while things are going great than to wait until it starts to crash and burn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Let go Jets!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought "oh no did the Lions ruin their perfect season and win!" fortunately that did not happen. I must admit though that seeing Blott's avatar has made me start watching Monk in syndication. That really is a great show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeRm! wrote:
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought "oh no did the Lions ruin their perfect season and win!"

Heh. Me too.

Ludocrazy wrote:
I think it's smart for shows to go out while they're on top.

Absolutely. Are you listening to us, House!?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeRm! wrote:
I must admit though that seeing Blott's avatar has made me start watching Monk in syndication.

You have no idea how many people have geekmailed me, telling me the exact same thing. My biggest contribution to the premier board game website? Getting people to watch TV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Thought for sure this would have something do do with the Lions.

Hey Blott do you ever wish that someone would move the Lions to LA so that way you had an excuse to stop cheering for them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:

Hey Blott do you ever wish that someone would move the Lions to LA so that way you had an excuse to stop cheering for them?

No, actually I fear that they will someday. Then I will have no one to cheer for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
KSensei wrote:

No, actually I fear that they will someday. Then I will have no one to cheer for.

You could cheer for me, Blott! Also, we could get you a cd player that you can carry around to play my theme music at the appropriate times. I need a good cheer section these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
too_close wrote:
For a minute there I thought the Lions had won a game! laugh

As for Monk, I thought the first season was brilliant. I was disappointed in season 2 when they changed the wonderful theme music (Randy Newman gulp ), and more disappointed in season 3 when Sharona left. Eventually lost interest (and then dropped extended cable so there was no chance for reconciliation ).

I am glad the series never "jumped the shark". That's even worse than being canceled, like your favorite show died and is now a zombie zombie

Great, now I have a picture of an obsessive compulsive zombie in my head. Thanks Paul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:

At our house, we have a dream of a perfect Detroit sports season.
The Wings win the cup, the Pistons take the Cahmpionship, the Tigers win the World Series and the Lions get sold out of town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.