Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following session report is a solo playtest of my homemade scenario in FFG
The Assault at the Brecourt Manor

History backqround:
On June 6th 1944, 1stLt Richard Winters and 2ndLt Lynn D. Compton led a paratroopers of 13 soldiers to assault a German battery position defended by approximately 60 German soldiers in Brécourt Manor.
With the reinforcement of 2ndLt Ronald Spiers, they finally accomplished the mission of destroying four 105 mm guns (In order to balance the difficulty of Americans, I eliminate one gun).
This successful assault contributed the easy troops landing at Utah Beach on D-day.

Force comparision:
14 American units (not including D company) to 60 German units (13 to 60 units in the real history)

1st round, 0 Germany:USA 0, USA initiative

Americans attack first and move one hidden machince gun crew to the entrenchment between the lower two gun position for establish a firepower covering all the clear terrain. One hidden elite squad moves to the left entrenchment for preparing the assault of the left gun position. The last two squads fired at the German MG42 and take control of its position as what happened in the history.

Germans move 6 squads to the razor wire and half-fire the revealed Americans (right elite squad and top machince gun crew) but just cause one casualty.

End of the 1st round, 3 Germany:USA 0, Americans didn't control any gun position in this round.

2nd round, 3 Germany:USA 0, Americans initiative

The goad of Americans in this round is to control at least two gun positions. Below machince gun crew was set in OP fire mode in case of any attacking of Germans. Top machince gun crew fire at the right first gun position and one elite assaults this battery successfully. Another elite also assaults the left gun position successfully.

The german reinforcement is coming with the cover of woods and have the opportunity to control the left gun position again in the following rounds. 6 german squad tried to move forward in two groups with a large number of casualities by American Machine gun crew.

End of the 2nd round, 4 Germany:USA 2

3rd round, 4 Germany:USA 2, German initiative

German attack first and destroy the elite below and the reinforcement german squads successfully assault the top elite together with some casualities by American Machine Gun crew. However, they cannot advance to the gun position since they have no more movements.

Althought Americans lost two elite squads in this round, they get the reinforcement of D company and D company assaults the last gun position as what happened in the history. Right now, Americans have control all gun positions.

End of the 3rd round, 4 Germany:USA 5

4th round, 4 Germany:USA 5, German initiative

Germans use the privilage of the initiative and assault the reinforcement back with only one unit. The top germans control the left gun position easily without any attacking. It seems Germans have control this battle.

Americans just have two Machine Gun crews and move one to control the center gun position. They still have the chance if they can take the last gun position back.

End of the 4th round, 6 Germany:USA 6, this is the first tie of this game.

5th round, 6 Germany:USA 6, American initiative

American stops the OP fire mode and fire at the last gun position successfully and then move the other machine gun crew to it. German still has the last gambling chance by assaulting the center gun position, however they didn't make it.

The game is set and American got the final victory.

6th round, 7 Germany:USA 8

Comment:
The initial set up is very important for Germans since they just have 3 squads to defend the gun position. Germans have the chance to win the battle until the last round if they can move more squads to the last gun position in the beginning. To get the initiative is important too since there are a lot of short range fire in this scenario.

The total casualties of both sides is 16:48 (1:3) and there is a 4 : 20 (1:5) in the real history, because I'm not Lt. Richard Winters.

I hope this session report is useful for playing my scenario in FFG and sorry for any unclear description since I'm not native speaker.
I'm glad to see any feedback for revising this scenario better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Nutt
United States
Ontario
Oregon
flag msg tools
bah bah bah bah....woof
badge
My...what big teeth you have
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool Review. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WEI-CHENG CHENG
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rob.
I hope you can enjoy the game.

My other scenario The Rangers at Pointe du Hoc is also a tragedy right now.
I will find a time to revise it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WEI-CHENG CHENG
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just added a simple way to solitaire play rule as follows.

Solitaire Play
1. Rolling two dice (one red and one black) together to determine the initiative (red represents American, black represents German).
2. Control both side with the best way.

You can easily practice this scenario by yourself and just use normal attack for the whole game.
I thought that would still be very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.