Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what is the purpose of Smash? Can you basically do the same thing with Throw only you can throw in three directions and the thrown monster won't stop when throwing into another monster?

My thought was that you already have to be base to base without advancing to throw but I'm not seeing that in the rules.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my rules, but I think:

Throw goes OVER intervenening squares.

Smash is linear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see. If you want to have collisions with intervening units, Smash is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Moeller
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is exactly correct. Visualize a Throw sending the other monster sailing OVER the other buildings, landing in the final square of the throw (exacting the appropriate damage). A smash, on the other hand, sends the monster smashing THROUGH ALL of the buildings and/or units in its path. A smash can be tricky to set up, but can do a LOT of damage, depending on the number of buildings you have lined up.

One thing to remember - you only take hazard damage (in a Smash), for the final square you are in. In other words, smashing a monster through three inferno-producing buildings will only cause one point of HAZARD damage (assuming it ends its movement on the last building), but will still take three impact damage (one for each building you smashed into). Think of it as the monster is smashed too fast through the other buildings to take additional damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I don't have my rules, but I think:

Throw goes OVER intervenening squares.

Smash is linear.

paul beat me to it.

smash will target everything in its path (except monsters, which cause the smash to stop)

when you throw, you are just landing on the target area, bypassing everything else you sail over...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Merlot
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
musashi77777 wrote:

One thing to remember - you only take hazard damage (in a Smash), for the final square you are in. In other words, smashing a monster through three inferno-producing buildings will only cause one point of HAZARD damage (assuming it ends its movement on the last building), but will still take three impact damage (one for each building you smashed into). Think of it as the monster is smashed too fast through the other buildings to take additional damage.

One small correction to this. You take damage from hazards already in play that you cross when you are smashed, but not hazards created by buildings you destroy but do not land on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Clough
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
I could be wrong, but I believe that in order to use Smash your monster could not have begun its activation adjacent to your target, whereas Throw does not have this restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.