Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Just
United States
Yorba LInda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Yorba Linda, California: a land of fire and wind (and earthquakes, too) On a beautiful Saturday, I was out at Joshua Tree National Park rock climbing with my son when I got a call from my wife saying she was having to evacuate the house. Chino Hills State Park was on fire and the flames were only a mile away from the house. "What should I take?"

It's amazing how a crisis focuses the mind. I told her to get some clothes, family documents, photos, the Mac Mini and please grab a couple of board games. I didn't specify which ones. There was no time and I was really only half kidding.

I tried to come home but all the freeways around Yorba Linda were closed and the traffic was horrible by even L.A. standards. So after five hours on the road, we finely gave up and went to my Mom's house on the east side of the fire.

My wife said the smoke was so dense that it was like midnight even though it was high noon. The fire was terrible burning to within a quarter mile of my house. All told fifty homes were destroyed by the flames but due to the incredible skill of the fire department hundreds more were saved.

Sunday morning the officials reopened the freeways and latter that afternoon we were allowed back in our house which was safe and sound. My wife and daughter had done an amazing job picking out the important items of our life and by the way she took four games. They were Ticket to Ride, Age of Empires III, Reef Encounter and a brand new game which were hadn't played yet Dominion.

I'm happy to be home again, safe and with my wife and four kids. My father in law joked, that we complain about being in a rut and why can't we have more spice. But when the spice comes we would gladly take the rut.

So I ask you. If you could only take four games, what would they be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glad to hear the house was safe and sound.

JustKen wrote:

Age of Steam
Pampas Railroads
Wabash Cannonball
Reef Encounter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should make this a geeklist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, glad your house was spared Ken.

JustKen wrote:

The Longest Day
Dune
Freedom in the Galaxy
Roads & Boats/Antiquity
(I know its two but they go together like love and marriage...and they are always stored together on my gaming shelves)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Steam
Die Macher
Crokinole
Dune.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four?
Surely you jest.

Carry-All:
Power Grid (with all expansions)
Factory Fun
Ubongo (original, Duel AND Extrem)
Saturn

Backpack:
(I have the LL Bean Turbo Metro...yes all of these fit in there)
Galaxy Trucker
Elfenroads
Elfenwizards
Los Mampfos
Railroad Dice 2
Settlers
Taluva
Modern Art
For Sale
Bang! (bullet)
8 Magic Decks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I guess we should grab expensive OOP games first and then expensive ones second. In which case: Up Front (containing the two expansions), Kremlin (containing the Revolution expansion), Titan, and Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucio Rodriguez
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
designer
Yep, more words here.
badge
This is overtext. Man, what an awesome use of 100 geekgold! :)
mbmbmbmbmb

My wife and I live in California also--we're able to see the large cloud of smoke, but are presently not in danger. We actually had a discussion yesterday about this and other emergency situations, and the talk of what to take from the house came up--beyond the external harddrive (which contains all our family photos) and essential paperwork, we had to include what games we would want to bring.

1. RoboRally (old WOTC edition) - my favorite game.
2. Roborally Armed and Dangerous (this is cheating, as Crash & Burn is also in this box) - Expansions I don't want to have to acquire again.
3. Dungeon Dice - Nostalgic value, played extensively with my family in childhood.
4. Heroscape (Box of figures is the priority) - I have all the figures, including the promo figures, to date. I can get the board pieces, but don't ever want to have to track all the figures down again.

Immediate re-purchases if everything else was gone would be the entire Ticket to Ride series (my wife would be sure of that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dean
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Amish Tech Support
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly gulp
Risk yuk
Gulo Gulo soblue
Busen Memo shake

You meant games to take and throw in the fire, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Helms
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
California has been burning for about 10 years now it seems. I'd move. Of course if my only choice was 4 games, I'd take the out of print stuff. The other stuff can be replaced by insurance.

1) Princes of the Renaissance
2) Battle Cry
3) Napoleon In Europe

and then a tie between
4) Conquest of the Empire, Samurai Swords, & We the People

Would probably depend on timing, # of trips I had left, and how close the fire was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.
mb
Glad to hear you are ok. We must be neighbors. I'm down off Esperanza. We were on voluntary evacuation so I stayed home. If I would have known, you could have come over and played games all Saturday and Sunday until they opened the roads. We were packed up and for an hour or so, it got really gnarly on my street (I could see the flames). I had to go get some medication up at Vons for my daughter and it was Armageddon out there. I was skirting road closures, dodging the SWAT teams and sweet-talking cops to get the medication. I finally made it home and it looked like the fire had shifted away from us.

I am sitting in my office now off La Palma looking up at the multi-million dollar houses in Hidden Hills that didn't make it. Apparently the pump station burned down and they had no water pressure up there. They just had to watch them burn. The side of our building got scorched and a car left in the parking lot was burned and melted. This morning I saw some displaced deer on the hillsides hopping around confused.

At lunch I drove over to Anaheim Hills behind El Torito where you can see the whole valley. It's astonishing that any houses were saved. The miles and miles of hills are black with pockets of intact neighborhoods still standing. The firefighters were amazing.

I did not get to the point of saving any games. It would be like Sophie's choice. I think another interesting question is how would you rebuild your game collection. Do you buy Die Macher again? Do you buy Settlers again? I love, love, love Princes of Florence, but I never ever get to play it. Do I buy it again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
JustKen wrote:

Merchant of Venus
Race for the Galaxy
Samurai

The fouth is tough to pick.

Settlers of Catan card game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre
Agricola
Shogun
Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Berry
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror – My favorite game
Argricola- Wife’s favorite game to play together
Bohnanza- Favorite family game
Tide of Iron- Second favorite
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad your family is safe, and that you were given an opportunity to contemplate the value of posessions. Equally glad your posessions were spared.

If I could only save 4 games, it would be:

For Sale, Biblios & die Die Fugger - irreplaceable
Santorini - our most recent arrival

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heiligmann
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
30 years ago, I was put on the original Car Wars!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogre
Pocket Car wars (my picture is on it!)
SPANC
Gurps IOU
Miniatures (NOT leaving those)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain McFadyen
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Move along
badge
Nothing to see here
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I don't have any *very* expensive or hard-to-find board games (Dune, Carabande, some old GW stuff) so I would grab the remnants of my Magic collection.

I have two small card boxes (each smaller in volume than a typical board game, although much more heavy) the contents of which are theoretically worth quite a few thousand dollars, or were last time I checked.

That's assuming someone had the time to eBay them all and the right people saw the auctions and bid on them. Magic card valuations are highly theoretical!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gill
United States
Chino Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken and David,

Happy to hear your families and houses are safe. We live in Chino Hills at the mouth of Carbon Canyon and watched the fires on the other side of the mountain with great concern since we have family in Yorba Linda (all fine). It was frightening how fast the flames spread and I became (moderately) concerned for our own safety late Saturday night as the fire started down the canyon. It’s a strange feeling looking around your house and seriously wondering about what to throw in the car. My choice: the computer, home of our family pictures, and the photo albums. Most of our games are easy to find and replace, so they didn’t rate high on the list of important items. Indeed, except for the house itself, most of our possessions are replaceable, although I shudder to think about the actual cost.

Actual games:
Roborally (or Pirates Cove)
Descent
Battlelore
Conflict of Heroes

Of course, my wife might have a different list, so I hope we’d have enough time to reach a mutual agreement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy's down in Yorba Linda. He says he's living in a cloud of smoke (yucky).

JustKen wrote:

Hey, this is almost how I built my top 10 list! I can just copy it from there...

1. Race for the Galaxy
2. War of the Ring (First Edition)
3. Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie (although, when I put this down, I was kind of referring to my whole heroscape collection)
4. Mr. Jack

Since I probably can't take my whole Heroscape collection, I'll switch it out with my number 5 choice PitchCar. It's not actually one of my personal favorite games, but my 4 year old loves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew, glad to hear it ended well for you (and your games )

Agricola
Dominion
Roborally
Twilight Struggle

And my 2 Warhammer armies...
And my Doomtown, Star Wars and X-Files CCG cards...
And my Shadowrun, 7th Sea and Deadlands RPG books...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace Whelan
United States
Tipp City
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Tough to choose just 4 games. I won't count my hundreds of 40k painted minis since they're not really boxed games.

Agricola
Carcassonne (gold box w/expansions inside)
Conquest of the Fallen Lands
Talisman 2nd edition (expansions are in the box0

I might have second thoughts at the last minute and dump Talisman knowing FF is doing the new version. In which case I would probably grab Battle Lore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you and your family are alright!

I would't grab a single game in an emergency! If I had to choose, the fire would have consumed me by the time I made a decision!

I've got some nice paintings that I don't want to see burnt. So those will be grabbed, along with my laptop.

Also, one thing I've done is insure my boardgame collection as part of my Home and Contents Insurance Policy. I sent in a detailed list (including price breakdowns) to the insurer. I got the list by exporting my collection from BGG.

Boardgames can easily be replaced. Sure, some OOP games may take some time to track down but with the insurance $$$, I can get the games again. Paintings are one of kind. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW-Close Call!

1) Settler's of Catan 3D Collectors Edition
2) Turf Master
3) Formula DE
4) Memoir 44 w/expansions

I would insure those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to hear the house was safe and sound.

JustKen wrote:

Twilight Struggle
My chess set because I played chess with my dad on it when I was small.
My Go set because it's pretty.
Beyond that, a random game from my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ Rice
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New to the forums so hopefully I am doing this correct

First off I am glad all is safe with you and your family.
Now to the question at hand

My 4 would be:

Big Boss due to it being a home made version made of metal.
You can see the pictures posted under Big Boss creative page
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/388123
Settlers of Catan 3D
Stone Age
Fische Fluppen Frikadellen

These are all fun games for our family to play.
Any game that you could play with the family would be a good game to bring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.