Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What's available?

Based on what I've been reading, the following games sing to me:

Warrior Knights & Crown and Glory expansion

Quest for the Dragonlords 2nd ed & Advanced expansion & 5-6 player exp (2 more races)

Battlemist -- which is OOP & has been deleted from the FFG website entirely; possibly because its designer was involved in the Warrior Knights project? & the Sails of War expansion.

Age of Mythology might fit my desires as well.

Wizard Kings and BattleLore are not what I am looking for.

BattleLore is just a dumbed down imitation of a real miniatures game.

Wizard Kings is a nice double blind operational level wargaming concept, but seems to lack the magicky / questy feeling I'm looking for at the moment.

The most restrictive requirement is that I'll likely be playing with only 2 players.

What other games should I consider?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
What about War of the Ring (First Edition)? I haven't played it yet but it's got a big fight coupled with a quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools

An ebay copy of the out-of-print reprint of DIVINE RIGHT and/or DRAGON PASS - played many games of the originals 2-player, hard to beat stuff (though the latter is a little complex and chit-heavy for today's audiences).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
What about War of the Ring (First Edition)? I haven't played it yet but it's got a big fight coupled with a quest.

This is a great choice, especially if you're only playing with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Malacandra wrote:

War of the Ring is a great game for sure.

It doesn't feel like like what i'd call traditional fantasy. It feels like Tolkien. Which despite having a profound influence (arguably the father of) modern "fantasy" I still consider it to be a subset of the fantasy genre.

There is fantasy and there is Tolkien.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a little bit for the new edition of Titan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm playing WOTR right now; looking for something more freeform.

I have Dragon Pass; looking for something with more "modern" evolved rules mechanisms to ease coping with complexity; and also those 1/2" hex grids are just too small these days. DP & Divine Right aren't really Ameritrash either-- they don't have hundreds of plastic bits.

I have Titan -- too abstract on the main board.

Oh, I forgot Age of Conan -- gonna get that one just for the theme.

I think it was the Battlemist developer who said they made a 6 foot, three dimensional board for demos at cons -- since I am really a miniatures gamer, doing that with whatever game I choose would be appealing, and using 25mm miniatures as markers. So areas might be better than hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Someone asked much the same question as I did in the Divine Right forum:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/274816

Says that DR should have a new PDF version 6 edition out by "spring 2008."

DaveS said:
"I think that one of the key features of Divine Right were the diplomatic interactions between players and neutral countries, trying to recruit the various powers to your side. I'm amazed that after all these years, no other game (that I'm aware of) has taken the idea of having random personality cards for non player countries and re-used it."

Which seems like a good way to make a 2 player game more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm... some of these old hex based games have online rules; could be played using the pieces & maps from Strategy I...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
Gronak wrote:

I have Dragon Pass; looking for something with more "modern" evolved rules mechanisms to ease coping with complexity; and also those 1/2" hex grids are just too small these days. DP & Divine Right aren't really Ameritrash either-- they don't have hundreds of plastic bits.

OUch! Got me on both points - hooboy, I sooo recall the hassle keeping track of unit abilities -
"No, no sorry, that's their magic ranged combat value - huh? Oh, sorry, it's magic close combat value is..."

But who can deny the Crimson Bat or say no to Beat-Pot Aelwyn???

And yeah, we used the personality cards all the time - they really do add
depth to the game and I agree with that post 100% - it really is surprising no one else has tried such a thing ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WRT keeping track -- yea, I wonder why games don't come with a simple spreadsheet type program or a browser based app that would let you use a laptop to keep track of fiddly numbers.

I don't like _playing_ games on a computer, but computer assisted bookkeeping would be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game of Thrones (first edition) maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
nyhotep wrote:

Great game, the strategic and fantasy descriptions fit, but about as far from the ameritrash design style as you can get...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:

No good for only 2 -- I'll look for variants...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Fletcher
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
I am awaited in Valhalla!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a copy, Mighty Empires certainly seems to fit your criterea. Also Prince of Choas: Battle for Tae Orn. It looks like it's a little on the heavy side and doesn't appear to have any Ameritrashy plastic to it but it looks like it should give you what you miss from Wizard Kings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really not trying to be a spoilsport, just share some honest opinion.

Age of Mythology is a pretty dissapointing game and not very action-packed at all. The combat is simplistic and the included miniatures are completely useless; it could have been just as well done with cards.

Warrior Knights is one of my favorite games, but it increases in awesomeness with more players. The Diplomatic Council is much better with more, but it is certainly playable with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have Mighty Empires. The original version. Standard GW crappy rules.

Prince of Choas: Battle for Tae Orn is not findable in the Geek search panel using any of its initial word string; its only findable as Tae Orn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric S.
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would look into Magic Realm, I find this to be a great AT fantasy game...If ya can find it.

Happy Gaming
Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nolan Guthrie
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
It is a wargame!
mbmbmbmbmb
Would "Rune bound" fit this description? I have never played them.
Nolan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Magic Realm is a man to man level quest, not a strategic wargame. Ditto for Runebound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The tag "fantasywar" ought to be divided into "tactical" and "strategic" and "combined."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly Fantasy, but historical, Conquest of the Empire is an EXCELLENT Game.

Senji is also a great game.

However, more fantasy like would be Exalted: War for the Throne which is also a strategic wargame, but not really in the same vein as Warrior Knights or any of the others you listed.

WarCraft: The Board Game could be a game that also is kind of strategic, and is a fantasy war game.

However, I don't think any game really fills the niche like Warrior Knights, so that's a little tough to give any games like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.