Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Benefits to the state of officially recognizing civil union/marriage arrangements

Producing future citizens - Future citizens raised in the culture mean the culture perpetuates. Admittedly, children can can and, all too often, are produced without legal recognition of the union, but most of society purports that the best chance of raising a productive (and happy?) citizen is to do so within a stable family unit. (See Incentives section)

Protecting dependent children and under-employed spouse - This benefits society at large because there won't be as many starving children and/or (usually) mothers to feed and house.

Keeping the population happy with doing things the way we always do. - For good or bad, I believe that sheer inertia is the reason that many of the marriage laws are on the book.

Current "incentives" offered by the state to official unions

Better income tax rate if one partner doesn't have income. - Current income tax law only favors married people if one of the two aren't working. If both are working, the total tax burden is actually less if both could file as single with the higher reported salary claiming the dependents.

Smoothing out inheritance issues and reducing taxes - Having an official spouse eliminates much of the hassle and, I think, eliminates inheritance tax for surviving spouse. (And, frankly, I am surprised that this feature isn't used more.

Provides financial protection for no-income spouse and children
This part allows a (usually) mother to take time off the work force and still have rights to an income.

Officially recognizing spouse - While the government doesn't directly extend the benefits below, its official recognition does make the administration of them more evenly and easily applied. Many of these could be handled with powers of attorney instead, but the "one stop shopping" convenience of accepting the term spouse provides at least an intangible benefit

Many companies have policies that extend insurance benefits to spouses. Even though these policies are gradually drifting towards significant others, there still is an advantage to officially recognized unions.

This concept also applies to hospital visitations, access to records and probably other areas I am missing.

Now the question is what arbitrary groupings of people can provide the benefit to the state and, therefore, should receive the benefits from the state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shameless selfbump here.

Does lack of response here mean total agreement, it's so far off it can't be discussed or general antipathy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would answer but I find self bumping rather rude and makes me want to withdraw from a discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Shameless selfbump here.

Does lack of response here mean total agreement, it's so far off it can't be discussed or general antipathy?

It's a good analysis, but I'm not sure what the argument is (If there is one. If it's just analysis, kudos.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
qzhdad wrote:
Shameless selfbump here.

It's a good analysis, but I'm not sure what the argument is (If there is one. If it's just analysis, kudos.)

I was hoping that others would fill in the arguments for and/or against the state recognizing and/or rewarding any marriages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I would answer but I find self bumping rather rude and makes me want to withdraw from a discussion.

I am with you in general, but wanted to see some discussion on these points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps everyone who "ties the knot" should only be issued a "civil union", including heterosexual couples. I.e., a contract between any two adult human beings that basically grants them medical and financial power of attorney along with community property and inheritance rights.

When and only when either party gives birth to, adopts, or already has non-adult children, that "civil union" is augmented by a "family union", granting the additional benefits, incentives, and responsibilities which correspond to child rearing. I.e., permanent protection of financial and medical benefits for a spouse that exits the work force in order to raise the children, along with the same protections for the children.

People who are "married with no children" would have "civil unions".

People who are "married with children" would have both "civil unions" and "family unions".

People who are "divorced with no children" would have no legal ties.

People who are "divorced with children" would have "family unions".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.