BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Mall of Horror or Last night on Earth? Which should I buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rhys Bevan-John
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a long time lurker on the site, and really appreciate the time everyone takes with their reviews, it has helped me a lot with my purchasing decisions. I've come to a toughie, and am looking for some advice.

I loves the zombies, and the games. I'm looking to add to my colletion.

I have Zombies!!! but sadly, the couple of times I played it, we didn't really find the fun, and haven't been able to convince anyone to try it with me again. I have some friends who can't get enough of it, maybe if I played with them I'd have a better time...

I'm on a contract, and now have money burning a hole in my pocket, and like to try one of the other zombie games I've heard tell of. Which is better? I think I'd like one that would create a more raucous/party atmosphere combined with more basic rules/easy teachability... I have some casual gaming friends who I like to introduce to new games as well as my more "hardcore" gaming group.

From the reviews I've read I suspect that mall of horror may be what I'm looking for... Anyone have strong feelings one way or tuther?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Mall of Horror, but I can tell you that Last Night on Earth is campy, easy to teach, plays in about an hour and is fun as hell. It was an impulse buy for me as I'm not a horror movie/game fan, but I'm glad I got it. My wife and I like the 2 player game, and I got to play it with 4 players the other night which is terrific. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth is a great damn game and you should get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you would go wrong with either.

Mall has a better chance of losing friends though

Seriously, they are totally different gaming experiences (and the two best published Zombie Games). Whay not both?

Also, check out Dead of Night and Zombie in my Pocket, both PnP that I haven't been able to play, but my gaming friends rave about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To go against the crowd, I never played Last Night on Earth, but Mall of Horror is sure a nice game! If your game group doesn't mind about direct confrontation, backstabs, mind reading and overall evilness, do not hesitate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mall of Horror is less of an attempt to recreate a Zombie movie and battles and more of a game itself, with a zombie theme added (though I DO feel that it's an appropriate theme for the gameplay).

Mall of Horror is shorter and focuses on keeping your 3 characters alive by shuffling them between available locations that have open spaces. It also incorporates some voting (ala the "Survivor" show) aspects and some interesting decisions.

Last Night on Earth is an attempt to recreate a Zombie attack in a board game - my only gripe about it are the cards themeselves. They're clunky and probably won't last for TOO many games. Other than that it's a super fun game.

Both games are good, I'd get Last Night on Earth if you want to feel like you're really in a Zombie flick and Mall of Horror if you want to play a solid game that isn't necessarily trying to recreate a Zombie movie.

Speaking of Zombies - only a half-hour left until Left 4 Dead, the awesome long-awaited co-op zombie FPS from Valve is launched tonight on STEAM. WOOT!! Counting down the minutes along with everyone else...tick, tock...tick, tock!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Afshin
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both a number of times.

Mall of Horror is more of a negotiation/predicting the moves of your opponents game. There's room for both cooperation and backstabbing.

Last night on Earth is more of a straightforward Humans vs. Zombies game with combat, dice, cards, etc.

I personally think Last Night on Earth is the better game, but Mall of Horror seems to fit your criteria better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TxGowan
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all three games and would first recommend that perhaps you should try some of the Zombies!!! variants posted. They seem to make the game more fun and play a lot faster.

If you're thinking about getting non-gamers to play, I think Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game is more like the kind of boardgame that most people grew up with. The game mechanics will be a lot more familiar to them.

That being said, I like Mall of Horror a little more as a gaming experience. There's negotiation and secret info and backstabbing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and love both, but if you want something different than zombies go with Mall of horror. Last Night on Earth is like Zombies on Steroids (ie more depth). My biggest problem with Zombies is it is just too long for what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buster Brown
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rhys,

I own both Mall of Horror and Last Night on Earth, and while both are great games I would recommend you first check out another game. It's a print-n-play game called Zombie Plague and it's been a big hit each of the four times it's made it to our table. It's free other than costing a little elbow-grease, printer ink and recycled game components to put it together.

It's more of a miniatures/wargamer fare than either MOH or LNOE, but it really has become one of our favorite games.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Miller
United States
Glasgow
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhysthepiece wrote:

I have Zombies!!! but sadly, the couple of times I played it, we didn't really find the fun, and haven't been able to convince anyone to try it with me again. I have some friends who can't get enough of it, maybe if I played with them I'd have a better time...

I felt the same way about Zombies!!! and ended up trading it off a while back. I got LNOE from my Secret Santa last year and my wife and I have both thoroughly enjoyed the theme and scenarios. The art was also a high-point for me since it helps to get you into the mood for the game. I've not played Mall yet so no comments there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Last Night on Earth and I don't like it.

It's supposed to have a lot of things going for it... lots of missions, great pieces, photo cards, interchangeable boards...

I've played the Die Zombie Die a few times and... it's just really simple and boring. Zombies spawn and run at heroes. Heroes run to buildings, bulk up and fire...

Sure it feels like a movie, but in the movies, the heroes do smart decisions such as splitting up and going through the doggy door to get a beer. If you have gamers they look for ways to win. I prefer something more like Ticket to Ride at least, where gameplay is exciting and tense, not zombies lumbering at heroes.

Well, that's my take. It's a simple game... whether that's a good or bad thing it's your call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If what you want is a version of Zombies!!!! that is shorter and crisper, go for LNoE. I think Mall of Horror is a fine game as well, but it's quite different from the other two. You avoid zombies/maneuver to get someone else eaten, rather than beef up and attempt to kill a bunch of zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tassie
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really love zombies and have money burning a hole in your pocket, I really suggest you buy both. I own both and think that they are totally different gaming experiences but I find both are a lot of fun. MoH should be avoided if your freinds are likely to pout and take things personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wells
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Last Night on Earth, although I have not played Mall of Horror, I have heard about it, read/watched reviews and it doesn't seem like it would be anywhere near as good.

Last Night on Earth is an amazing game, buckets of tension, it's my favourite right now (although if it weren't for it's long play time, I think my new purchase, Arkham Horror, would be at the top). The first few games you won't quite get what everyone was on about, but after a few games, when you start to get to know the deck better and everyone has a better idea of good tactics to use, it's a lot better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth. I didn't care for Mall of Horrors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have both and I have to go with Last Night On Earth as well. Mall of Horror is neat but the zombie theme isn't as well done as Last Night On Earth. And Mall of Horror needs at least 4 players to be really fun. LNoE can be done with just 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Strecker
United States
Murrieta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are both excellent games and represent the Zombie theme well. Likewise, they are both a raucous and rowdy and are best played with people willing to get into the spirit of it.

Mall of Horror (despite having horriblly written English rules) is much easier to teach and also plays shorter than LNOE. If I were trying to rope my non-gamer friends into a zombie game, and they were worried about the complexity of the rules or legnth of the game - I would use this one.

LNOE does a much better job of capturing the zombie theme, and is the game I prefer if I have the time and right gamers for it. It's not difficult to teach, but will require more time and effort than Mall of Horror. Still, I think it's the most enjoyable Zombie theme game currently in print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Bevan-John
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Toledo. I wrote that just last night. I can't believe the amount of responses.

Thank you everyone so much for your advice. I just downloaded Zombie Plague, which looks awesome. I'll find my way to Kinko's with the files fo' sho'.

I think I've been swayed in favor of Last Night on Earth. I think I can convince my mundanes to play it, and I think they'll really enjoy it.

The 'back-staby' negotiation of Mall of Horrors could bring the worst out in my more competitive friends, and I can be a big sook too. LNoE seems campy enough to remind everyone not to take things so seriously.

Awesometown. Thanks again everyone. May Santa be as generous to you as you've been to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.