12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Making your own gameboard, materials? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Van Gastel
Belgium
flag msg tools
I have a little question and I've been searching for it on the forum, but either I'm not searching on the right words, or it's simply not here, so I'll just ask away myself.
I'm trying to make my own gameboard, but I'm having a few difficulties with the materials to use, mostly for the board itself.

The board will be the size of 4*A4 paper (i.e. A2 I guess). I'll be printing the board on 4 separate A4 papers.
Now, simple A4 paper won't last very long, will it? So I'm looking for some good ideas to get my design on a more solid material.
I have my design in Photoshop for the board. Now I need a way to get this on something solid, yet transportable.
I had been thinking of simply attaching it to some cardboard, but regular cardboard isn't solid enough and glueing it isn't really the best option I think.
Please can someone give me some tips?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
You can glue it to foamcore -- but make sure you use a low water-content glue (like UHU). Of course this won't fold, but you can make it in sections if the board is large.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric S.
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought would be the cardboard you may find on the back of a desk calendar. From there I would laminate it.

Best of luck

Happy Gaming
Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used Framing Matte board. Works well and is easy to use. I use a straight edge and a razor knife to cut it. I also use a spray mount adhesive (available at art stores), or a spray glue (available at Home Depot type stores) to attach the paper to the board. I have never had a problem using this glue with paper. Read the instructions, but I always spray both the Matte board AND the paper both, then, let it tack up, and join together. Trim the matte board AFTER it is glued together as it is hard to align it perfectly when attaching. This is because, once you apply the paper to the board, you CANNOT lift it off without ruining it. Never use a white glue like Elmers, as it seems to attack the paper or card stock.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artists matte board.
Wonderful stuff.

or...you can go the old school route (albeit expensive), MDF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used matte/illustration board with success before. Here's a thread with some info for you:

Make your own box and quad fold board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Can you get A4-sized label stock? If so, print out your board onto that, and use artist's mat-board for the backing. I've made a ton of game boards this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimM wrote:
I have used Framing Matte board. Works well and is easy to use. I use a straight edge and a razor knife to cut it. I also use a spray mount adhesive (available at art stores), or a spray glue (available at Home Depot type stores) to attach the paper to the board. I have never had a problem using this glue with paper. Read the instructions, but I always spray both the Matte board AND the paper both, then, let it tack up, and join together. Trim the matte board AFTER it is glued together as it is hard to align it perfectly when attaching. This is because, once you apply the paper to the board, you CANNOT lift it off without ruining it. Never use a white glue like Elmers, as it seems to attack the paper or card stock.

Good Luck!

The advice given by Jim is really good. I have made some game boards using something very similar to Jim's technique. Matte board works extremely well and I used Super77 spray mount adhesive. It's the best. With Super77 you CAN lift the paper and reposition until it is perfect! Very handy.

Another suggestion is to print your paper bigger than your board so that you can fold over the excess onto the back of the board and glue it to the back for added strength. I use Tacky glue for this not the Super77, because you want it more permanent and no one will see it.

Good luck. Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently put together a Merchant of Venus set. I printed the map out on a color laser here at work then used self-adhesive laminate on each page. I then taped on the laminate side to create the map as one big sheet and used the 3m spray glue to mount it to a 1/8" piece of chipboard (it's brown and seems to be made from fibers.) Overall it turned out really good but is one big piece.

Kinkos or other print places may be able to do large prints but they can cost a few $$$ to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
the more monopoly boards you cover up the monopoly side on, the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Van Gastel
Belgium
flag msg tools
Well, seems to me there are a few good tips here. I think I'll go and have a look in the nearest art store. I guess I might find what I'm looking for there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.