Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From your experience, how many occupations do high scoring players typically have? What is the normal range? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Between 1 to 3 occupations seems to be the best range, though I have seen players do very, very well (50+ points) without playing any. More than that and you have wasted too many actions on the occupation space. I tend to think that even 3 is pushing it. One or two seems much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
doubtofbuddha wrote:
Between 1 to 3 occupations seems to be the best range, though I have seen players do very, very well (50+ points) without playing any. More than that and you have wasted too many actions on the occupation space. I tend to think that even 3 is pushing it. One or two seems much better.

I agree. Occupations seem very tempting at the get-go, but I think it's tricky to play more than 2 and see any real benefit. Usually, I find one that will be an ace-in-the-hole, something that gives me a definite leg-up in a big area, and play it very early. Then, if there is some specific need that comes later in the game (upgrading the house, say) that an occupation would help with, I play it right before I need it, or when I have an action to waste (which is pretty rare).

Given that, though, my highest scoring games have tended to be ones where I've played 1, or even no, occupations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Last game, I played all seven of mine and won with 52 points. I had some good Occupations and the Bookcase made playing them worthwhile as a food source. Usually I won't play more than three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on your hand- like everything else.

If you have a good hand, particularly a hand you constructed by drafting, or a preconstructed hand, then you can get away with playing more occupations than you would with a lousy hand, such as one that was just dealt to you. One hand I made relies on playing all 7 occupations. But it only uses the occupation space twice.

Particular occupations can alter the calculation, by removing the food costs (Patron, Perpetual Student) or giving you Vps for occupations (Tutor, Reeve). Minor Improvements can change things too- if you have a good Minor Improvement that requires 3 occupations then playing 3 occupations is more attractive- if you have several such Minor Improvements even more so- and of course some Minor Improvements directly affect occupation play, like Writing Desk or Bookshelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Number of players and the specific hand (as mentioned already) will vary your tactics. I mosly play Agricola as a 2-player game and find we almost always play > 3 occupations each, often up to 6/7 if they all play nicely together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schwab
msg tools
i'd say average 2-3, but i almost always play at least 1 at some point. as others have said, if i have minors that i want to play, i'll look a little harder for a reason to play an occupation.

it would not be a huge handicap if you were not allowed to play any occupations in a game. it would be crippling if you were not allowed to play any minors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grildensnork wrote:
Number of players and the specific hand (as mentioned already) will vary your tactics. I mosly play Agricola as a 2-player game and find we almost always play > 3 occupations each, often up to 6/7 if they all play nicely together.

I don't understand this. I play almost always with 2, and I feel like 3 occupations is pushing it. Where do you find 5 or 6 actions you can sacrifice in order to play all of them? Do you manage to get your field filled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.