Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any recommendations on a wargame that plays well solo? My preferred themes are Medieval or ACW, and I'm currently looking at Warriors of God.
does it play well solo?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Hooligan wrote:
Any recommendations on a wargame that plays well solo? My preferred themes are Medieval or ACW, and I'm currently looking at Warriors of God.
does it play well solo?

I don't have Warriors of God (yet...), but for solo ACW have you tried Mosby's Raiders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fassio
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Men of Iron lends itself very well to solo play. It is set in the 14th and 15th century and has a unique activation system that makes for interesting gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Following on with Mike's pick, check out Kulikovo 1380: The Golden Horde. Pretty balanced battle, and the game creates great narrative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Across 5 Aprils is out of print, yet it plays very well, in a tense way, several battles...all in April 1861-1865.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestion, Will! Designer is purportedly working on a follow up set of battles....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Warriors solo and it played well for me. A House Divided and Victory Games The Civil War (if you want more complexity) play well solo. I like to play For The People solitare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Men of Iron sounds like it was made for solo.

Anyone have experience with this and Warriors of god to compare? Men of Iron might win out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Warriors of God works very well solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite medieval series is the "Crossbow and Cannon" games by Rob Markham. While they're out of print, the show up on eBay all the time.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/34463/

The game plays reasonably well solo for a couple of reasons:

1) Each command is given an order and units under that command must follow orders until the commander changes it. It gives you a good feeling of being a supreme command handing out orders to subordinates who may well not implement your orders for a turn or two.

2) Combat is very uncertain. You have to declare all units that are taking place in each melee. Each unit must then be able to pass a morale check to fight in melee, otherwise, their combat factors don't count. So, even if you get your units into the fray, will they be able to fight.

3) Low number of units. Each scenario typically has about 30 or so units, so it's not overwhelming to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
My favorite medieval series is the "Crossbow and Cannon" games by Rob Markham. While they're out of print, the show up on eBay all the time.

Agreed on these. I rediscovered a whole pile of these recently, mostly unpunched, and I'm working through them. The Battle of Hastings is currently awaiting me from Age of Chivalry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ACW Solitaire seems like a natural fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add a third vote for Across 5 Aprils. But I would also point out that the Battle of Bentonville actually took place in March, not April.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Harding Warren
United States
Arnold
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a left field recommendation for a Civil War solo game: Blue vs. Gray. Wait, you might say, that's a card driven game! Ok, it's cards, but it is not much of a hand-management/surprise-your-opponent kind of game like Twilight Struggle.

Being a solo gamer, I know that I look for heavy doses of theme in order to make up for the missing FTF excitement. This game just oozes theme. If you like the Civil War and are something of an OB freak, this is the one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.