Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike christiansen
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings. This is my first session report or review, so here goes nothing...

This past weekend we had a chance to try out our new copy of Kingsburg. I had spent the first few days reading the rules and going through a few practice rounds. It seemed pretty straight forward in its design.

My wife and I who are pretty heavy gamers invited a couple to play with us. They are fairly new to board games, but they are enthusiastic about games and seem to pick up quickly on stuff. I was very worried though when they brought their little sister with them. She is 13 yrs old. I have had some bad experiences with teenages losing interest quickly in games, so I was concerned.

I began to explain the rules of timing such as the seasons and how we decide turn order and the such. I was amazed how quickly my noobier friends and their sister picked up on the game. I would say I spent a total of 7 minutes on the basics before we played the first season. This seriously impressed me.

The game flowed well with several people leading and even the very inexperienced teenager competed well until the end of the game. Towards the end of the game the building combination strategy got a little much for her, but I could tell she would be beating me in 3 more games.

Everyone seemed like they had a good time. I always ask everyone to honestly tell me how they liked a game and everyone stated that they wanted play again. I love to host people for game night so having a fun game that everyone can get into is important to me. I have found very good games that people don't enjoy that I love (Power Grid).

My initial impressions are:

-easy to learn; easy to teach
-multiple paths to victory
-awesome production values and nice bits

-leans a little heavy towards the military buildings
-luck is an issue

All in all I look forward to more plays of Kingsburg and writing a review for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.