Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any recommendations for strategies in 3 player games in which 2 of the players go often after the wood? How do you adapt to low wood volumes? It makes it hard to upgrade houses, fence, and even play some improvements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wiebe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Green is the colour, football is the game; we're all together, and winning is our aim!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if someone has a good strategy - fill us in - I suffer routinely from wood deficiency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I suffer routinely from wood deficiency.

Don't fret about it too much -- happens to most guys every now and again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
scottandkimr wrote:
Any recommendations for strategies in 3 player games in which 2 of the players go often after the wood? How do you adapt to low wood volumes? It makes it hard to upgrade houses, fence, and even play some improvements.

If two people are routinely going towards wood, I'd go with clay.

Simply put in a 3 player game clay will do well.

The first chance you have renovate to clay huts and then you can continue with clay rooms for the rest of the game.

Also if people are doing wood, try to go for a bread baking strategy (which uses more clay for the oven).

Overall there are ways around it, esp if you have even one card for help with clay, you'll do fine.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wiebe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Green is the colour, football is the game; we're all together, and winning is our aim!
mbmbmbmbmb
schlappy wrote:
Quote:

Doh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Steindorfer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
there is an old saying

If to go for wood , let them and renovate your hood!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
schlappy wrote:
Quote:

That was way too easy. But I would have done it if you didn't. Kudos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
canucklehead wrote:
schlappy wrote:
Quote:

Doh!

Yeah... you did set yourself up as an easy target.

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B
United States
Leawood
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grab the first player spot and steal their stinking wood!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
And I thought this thread was going to be about playing with animeeples....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reeds is also a nice defense.

They might get fences/stables up, but if you keep the reed from them, they won't be expanding their houses.

And... the clay is there for a reason, in case someone wood-hogs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
answer me a question I can't itemize
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the reed strategy. There are just way too many things to be done on your farm to focus just on the wood for rooms; fields, occupations, clay for improvements. I do like to get just enough wood for my first room add-on, but I never assume I'll be able to get it all in one turn. Overall, just shift gears and start working on all those other things which you're also going to need anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no strategy when playing against a wood hog in a 2er game. You must become one too.

Seriously though, in a 2er game, it's difficult to win if you don't get start player and start taking wood early. If you get awesome cards that let you do other stuff, you may have some outs like other posters mentioned.

If I'm going against the wood hog, I'll try to get reeds, but I can't keep taking 1 (or even 2 reed). I also can't rely on him going elsewhere. For example, in the first couple of turns, he could go:
Wood (3), Reed (1)
Wood, Reed (1)
Wood, Build room
Wood, Grow Family
Wood, Reed (2), Clay - by now, you can't stomach picking any more reed
Wood, Build room, Family Growth

Thats 3.5 turns to get 2 family growths. And this could be trimmed if he waits to build 2 rooms at once. Realistically, he would spend some turns going Wood/Occupation, Wood/Clay, or Wood/Food...since Family Growth can't even be picked until round 5 at the earliest.

Ya gotta have wood if you don't have cards supporting another strategy. I'd take start player even if it meant you couldn't play an improvement...so you could lead w/taking wood. Fields/Grain/Plow/Sow is nice, but it is hard to win if you reach midgame and you are 2 actions to his 4. Now he can take wood plus whatever else is piling up.

I like to have 10 wood for rooms, 14 wood for fences, 4 wood for stables, and maybe 5 wood for improvements along the way. Grand total 33 wood required. That leave the other player 9...which he can take towards the end.

The above does not apply to a 3, 4, or 5 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Parker
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Double Dan wrote:
There is no strategy when playing against a wood hog in a 2er game. You must become one too.

Keeping in mind my only 5 or 6 games played of Agricola, I disagree. I played a 2p against a wood hog (albeit, the same level of game knowledge as I was), and I crushed him with a plow field/grain/veggie strat. I had a full 20 points more than him. There was one point in midgame where I had all 5 peeps and he still had his original 2 (he was in trouble food-wise, but never took any begging cards)

I mean, I had some powerful cards, but I don't think the wood strat is unbeatable in 2p.

Than again, I have many plays left before I'll have figured this game out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played online? Let's play sometime here. It's a lot of fun.

http://math.ucsd.edu/~cdeotte/Games/Board2/Agricola.html

Let's test the theory out. I'll go first, and you can't take start player away...or if you do, you can never select wood with your first action.

Seriously, email me with sometime in the evening that you'd like to play. I'm East Coast.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it would be fun to try it out. I don't see how you could get 5 peeps to his 2 unless he slipped up, or you had cards that let you build rooms cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a wood hog, so I've been forced to learn to battle it. She's also a clay hog as well. But knowing these things it also means that she has some significant disadvantages as a result. For me, in 2 player games battling a wood strategy means that both players will end up with a lower score, but you will still be the winner. This last 2 player game, I was specifically battling a wood strategy and I ended up with 38 to her 35. Otherwise we often end up with 40+ points apiece.

When a player is playing a wood strategy it means that they are putting less emphasis on a food engine, and diversification. I take wood often enough to make her stay honest. If she leaves it, I take it. Wood almost never gets up to 6. I get a fireplace fast. She's saving wood to build pastures. She won't take sheep as she has no place to put them. I don't either, but with the fireplace, one goes in the home and the others become sausages. I also keep an eye on fishing and when it builds up I take it, depriving her of easy food. So between taking wood and getting food on a basic level, she's handicapped. I took reeds once they had gotten up to 2, to keep her from expanding. In the mid-game by taking wood she let the reeds build up to 3. Going first, she took wood again, and I nabbed the reeds. She said later that she was livid when I did that because stopped her renovation and put her game plan on hold for a couple of rounds. Towards the end of the game she was taking reed one at a time because she so desperately needed them to renovate from a wood house. At the end of the game I bought the basketmaker's workshop, and had 5 reed left over giving me a total of 5 extra victory points (2 for the workshop, 3 for the reed). Because she had so many problems feeding her family she never got up to 5 people. I didn't either, but my farm was much more well rounded.

She also loses on diversification. She ended up having to eat her animals, and often ends up with a -1 point on several scoring areas. She often doesn't get going on the crops until very late. I also think that she plays too many cards, but that's another topic.

I haven't played 3 player often enough, but in a 2 player game I think that wood is the tighest resource and you need to learn how to play around it. This means putting off pastures and stables and being more efficient than the wood hogs in other areas. And never let that wood build up or you're handing them a free action.

At the end of this last game I counted up the wood and she had taken 27 to my 15, and a lot of my wood was from mid-game on.

edited for clarity and to show that I graduated from grade school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.