18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Doom is pretty expensive, but is it worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Coupland
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm thinking about buying Doom TBG by Fantasy Flight Games, and there certainly isn't any shortage on miniatures, but is the game itself worth like 70 bucks? (I play Warhammer 40,000 so this is ironic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Save your money. Save up for Descent. It's everything Doom SHOULD have been. I tried liking Doom and it had some really good ideas. The scenarios were just turd burgers, so were the rules and some scenarios were insanely tough even on "easy" mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
aceraxon wrote:
Save your money. Save up for Descent. It's everything Doom SHOULD have been. I tried liking Doom and it had some really good ideas. The scenarios were just turd burgers, so were the rules and some scenarios were insanely tough even on "easy" mode.

Gotta disagree having played both. The games offer you something different with their experiences. I think Descent players approach Doom expecting a sci-fi dungeon crawl and are disappointed. Doom is not a sci-fi dungeon crawl, it's a survival horror FPS port. Your goal is not to maximize your tactical opportunities to outwit the Overlord player, your goal is to just make it out alive. That means knowing when to run as often as it is knowing when to shoot, and that also means, abandoning loot etc. You can't "clear the level" in Doom, especially in the tougher scenarios - it's really about attrition. Can you stay alive for long enough that you can beat out the swarm of monsters?

Now, that said, there are some "patches" you'll want to play with: I recommend starting the marines with extra armor, and the game goes from good to brilliant if you use an egg timer to time the marines players' turns - it turns the tension up about fifteen notches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
Gotta disagree having played both. The games offer you something different with their experiences. I think Descent players approach Doom expecting a sci-fi dungeon crawl and are disappointed. Doom is not a sci-fi dungeon crawl, it's a survival horror FPS port.

I agree with MScrivner. I have both and like them equally. They play differently enough to fill different niches. My vote is to go for it!

Quote:
if you use an egg timer to time the marines players' turns - it turns the tension up about fifteen notches

I really like this idea. I just grabbed an extra timer and through it in the box for our next play session!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Humphreys
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Doom and Descent and bought Doom.

Sometimes I feel like I should get Descent. Then I go to my friend's house and play his copy, and I'm reminded why I didn't in the first place; I like my RPG adventure games to be awesome fun, not an exercise in statistical optimization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both of them once, and it felt to me like the mechanics of the game fit better for Doom than Descent. Monsters should be spawning all over the place in Doom; monster spawning and player respawning feels gamey and disconnected from the theme in Descent (to me, anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beisaic wrote:
I played Doom and Descent and bought Doom.

Sometimes I feel like I should get Descent. Then I go to my friend's house and play his copy, and I'm reminded why I didn't in the first place; I like my RPG adventure games to be awesome fun, not an exercise in statistical optimization.

That's my new favorite way to define Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom is good fun but requires the expansion.

Descent I own but it has never made it to the table. So take that for what it is worth. Both games will end up costing you more than the average euro, but then again most good games do.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Doom a handful of times and just loved it. I played Descent once and was not impressed. I was really excited to play Descent and hoped it would be great, but.. I don't know, just fell flat with me.

Will be giving it another try within a couple weeks for sure though, see what happens then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
malloc wrote:
Doom is good fun but requires the expansion.

What parts of the expansion do you think it needs?

Nothing that isn't free off of FFG's site:

1. Dud errata
2. Invader card draw errata (always draw two)
3. Difficulty mods

You could argue the variants are good to have for spice and for balancing reasons, but again the whole rulebook is free from FFG's page so you can just read up on them and pick and choose, all without spending a dime. Only thing they don't offer is the scenarios, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ONe click on the old ad manager and I found it for $36...such a bargain!

http://www.cardhaus.com/cgi-local/shop3.pl/picture=106332
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played my copy, so I can't really say if it's worth it or not, but if you're thinking about it, look around for better pricing. TRU was blowing them out for $25 a few months ago, so if you're patient, you can get a much better price than $70.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.