Popular Tags: [View All]
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone tell me any something about the chit draw activation system in this game? I was thinking of using an impulse activation system (basically, just alternating between players allowing one leader to activate each, chosen by the player). None of the games I own from this series (most of the earlier ones) include this option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are activation chits for each side. Each chit has the word "Moved" on one side and "Fired" on the other. When a chit is drawn for your side, you can choose to do one of three things with one of your commands:

1) Move. (Move the command, then mark the command with the "Moved" side of the chit face up.) This command may not move again this turn.
2) Fire/Melee (Fire with the command then conduct melee combat. You then mark the command with the "Fired" side of the chip face up.) This command cannot conduct combat again this turn.
3) Pass. Do nothing and draw another chit. If two chits are are drawn and passed (even by the same player!) the turn ends immediately.

Other advance rules from Crossbows and Cannon II:

1) Disruption. Requires the advance fire table. Units disrupted may not enter an enemy ZOC, are -1 in melee, and may only move one hex during an action phase.
2) Melee odds modifiers. In addition to the usual results based on the attacker's strength, die roll modifiers are applied when the strength odds ratio. For example, attacks of 2:1 are +1, 3:1 are +2, etc.
3) Split commands. If a command has both infantry and cavalry, the cavalry can choose to "Attack" while all other units get a "Stand" order. Leader moves with the cavalry.
4) Cavalry 2nd combat option. (Basically the same as C&C Ancients!) Cavalry that cause a unit to retreat, may advance into the vacated hex, move one additional hex, change facing, then attack again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
There are activation chits for each side. Each chit has the word "Moved" on one side and "Fired" on the other. When a chit is drawn for your side, you can choose to do one of three things with one of your commands:

Are these chits specific to each commander? Do you draw chits randomly? Are both sides chits mixed? Seems like it's halving the options from the basic rules...
Quote:
2) Melee odds modifiers. In addition to the usual results based on the attacker's strength, die roll modifiers are applied when the strength odds ratio. For example, attacks of 2:1 are +1, 3:1 are +2, etc.

Is this in addition to using the higher odds column? Isn't that called 'having your cake & eating it'? surprise
Quote:
3) Split commands. If a command has both infantry and cavalry, the cavalry can choose to "Attack" while all other units get a "Stand" order. Leader moves with the cavalry.
4) Cavalry 2nd combat option. (Basically the same as C&C Ancients!) Cavalry that cause a unit to retreat, may advance into the vacated hex, move one additional hex, change facing, then attack again.

I think those are in Age of Chivalry, the game I'm playing.

Thanks for the swift reply. Nice to see someone paying attention to these older games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Are these chits specific to each commander? Do you draw chits randomly? Are both sides chits mixed? Seems like it's halving the options from the basic rules...

No, the chits are color-coded only by side. When you draw a chit, you get to pick the commander, then execute an option. The next time you draw a chit, you can activate that commander again if you like (e.g., if it moved first, it could now fire/melee or vice-versa)

Quote:
Is this in addition to using the higher odds column? Isn't that called 'having your cake & eating it'? surprise

The Advanced Table is quite a bit different than the basic table. For example: the Basic melee table for 7-10 column yields an "M" result for a die roll of 4-7, and a 1 step loss for 8-10+. The Basic melee table for 16-20 is "M" for die rolls of 3-5, "1" for 6-9, and "2" for 10+. For the Advanced table, the 7-10 column die rolls of 8-12 is a "D", 13-14 is a "1", and 15-16 is a "2". For the 16-20 column, 6-9 is a "D", 10-12 is a "1", 13-14 is a "2", and 15-16 is a "3". So, it's a lot harder to get damage on the advanced table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
No, the chits are color-coded only by side. When you draw a chit, you get to pick the commander, then execute an option. The next time you draw a chit, you can activate that commander again if you like (e.g., if it moved first, it could now fire/melee or vice-versa)

Ah, right. How many do you get per leader? Does it vary by scenario?

Very useful info, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get 8 chits for the French/Scots and 10 for all the other players. Unfortunately, there are no notes in the scenarios about how many chits to use. The base number should of course be 2x the number of leaders so that each command could both move and fire in a turn. However, if the overall leader were poor or better, I can imagine the 2x ratio varying a bit. Like many games from 3W, some extrapolation is needed. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. So each command gets to move and shoot, but the order they do it in is mixed up. Sounds fine to me. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:

I just looked at Sword and Shield last night and now I see what you're talking about. Crossbows and Cannon II still uses the absolute strength points for calculating damage (modified by odds-ratio when using the advanced rules), while Sword and Shield only uses odds-ratio. Looks like Mr. Markham replaced the combat system in 1994 with Sword and Shield. Do you know if Crusades II uses odd-ratio as well?

(Now I have to go look at Henry V and see what I missed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Looks like Mr. Markham replaced the combat system in 1994 with Sword and Shield. Do you know if Crusades II uses odd-ratio as well?

(Now I have to go look at Henry V and see what I missed.)

I only have Royalists etc I-II, Crusades I, Black Prince, Chivalry &, I think, Crossbows & Cannon I (but I can't find that). It's not a bad collection at 4 games a box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.