Popular Tags: [View All]
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder why the locking border pieces have so small arrows to lock with the other pieces. My copy was probably dropped in transit and all arrows were badly damaged/broken.

A different locking border design wouldn't be so easy to get heavily damaged.

Like for example the Bolide locking pieces:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corné van Moorsel
Netherlands
Maastricht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The border-tile-to-border-tile connections have 4 shapes to make it direct clear which to connect where. With Bolide you don't need that because with those tiles you see that direct in the graphics. Other differense is that in Bolide you connect the wole board to one piece, always the same. In Powerboats the 4 folded border tiles form a frame wherein you place the 6 lake tiles, each game in different order. Therefore we made a margin of 0.7mm in certain directions at the connection shapes, and no other margins in all the tiles. This works excelent to fit the whole game board easy and precise. In the past in boardgames with a frame around randomly placed tiles (or scenarios) I saw games where the tiles get pushed up above the table because there were no margins (like in game .....). And games where the border feels loose around the tiles and you can't push everything together, because the margin was made between the border tiles and the inner tiles (like in game .....). With the margins as in Powerboats the board fits perfect. But you wrote about the shapes at the small connections between the border tiles. The 4 different shapes had to be clear for which 2 to connect and clear to distinguish the 4 connections. With smooth shapes like in Bolide or RaceTheWind (in both game that are no border tiles and no variable board!) in 4 different shapes that would work less good. My first plan was to make these connection-shapes much wider. But the designer didn't want to let these lines go over the lake graphics where the boats move. Good argument too. Then the next version had too small situations. Then the designer asked the producer about minimum sizes to make that tiles don't bent/break. The answer was 9mm. I had doubts and therefore told the designer to do 12mm minimum. Then the shapes are changed a bit. When you see all border tiles you see that there was not much more space because then the distanse from the 'connection-shape' to the side of the board gets smaller than 12mm. When I meassure it now, smallest distanses are 10-11mm. Experience here is that that works well. I didn't see a problem yet. I don't think it gets damaged in transport, more likely that that happened in the packing process. Send me a photo.

I will not write more about production issues. Only this minor minor issue is a book when I collect all discussions, emails, phonecalls and prepress files about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cwali wrote:
The border-tile-to-border-tile connections have 4 shapes to make it direct clear which to connect where.

You could easily avoid the different shapes by printing small matching symbols on the matching corners of the border pieces.

My box had a large bow on top and bottom and one corner had a tear so i doubt that it was a packing problem. It was probably handled very badly in transit.

After spending an hour glueing the arrows and repairing damaged board corners i had to throw the badly damaged box away and fit everything into the Gipsy King box (they just fit!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fascinated by the idea that the Bolide board can be held up as an example of *good* design.

Yes, it holds together fine. But so does my copy of the Powerboats board, with the added advantage that Corne has pointed out, that it's a modular board.

But Bolide's board - and particularly the borders - are an example of an awful design. Why? Because it's just not big enough. Even with the ridiculous size of the whole board, there isn't enough room at the edges to properly move the vector pawns. Last time I played (and it really will be the last time I play), one player's pawn as adrift of the printed board by three whole rows! I don't think anyone completed a lap without going off the board at least once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corné van Moorsel
Netherlands
Maastricht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:

My box had a large bow on top and bottom and one corner had a tear so i doubt that it was a packing problem. It was probably handled very badly in transit.

Okay, then it must be the transport. Sorry for that! (I don't send the games.) (The box-materials are the same as with most "german games".)

To turn it positive: If the 'connecting-shapes' could not break, then the tiles had to break somewhere else if the box arrived as you described.
Sorry again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.