Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can say is wow...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/

Yep, will now be counting down the days until this hits the theater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really good. I don't typically go to the cinema, but I may have to make an exception for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks great, but from the EW article I guess there is already controversy on continuity or some such. It wasn't exactly clear what the controversy was. Does anyone know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Serious request: Someone please tell me what looks so great about this. I'm not saying it'll be bad, but, after having watched the trailer a few times, I'm still not seeing what's so promising about it. "Siberius"? Klaxons? Explodey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit meh. The guy playing Spock looks OK, but I'm not digging Kirk at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OH my god.

This is going to suck so damn hard...

Those trailers worked their magic on me all right. I'll never spend a dime on this movie.

yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to be able to stay immersed in it when I see Sylar or Dr Cameron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the controversy sprang from yesterday's bootleg trailer? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/356133 ...wherein the young actor identifies himself as James Siberius Kirk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
Siberius

I don't know where this came from, but he clearly says Tiberius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I will see it. But they are sooooo -- young -- and it looks so ---- angsty. But i will see it. cause its star trek. And there is always hope.

The casting is interesting. I don't know if I will be able to seperate Bones (KArl Urban) (who was always my favorite) from Eomer. His roles in Riddick and Doom weren't fantastic.

But then agaian Leonard Nimoy will be in it

Thank you IMBD

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
ekted wrote:
I'm not going to be able to stay immersed in it when I see Sylar or Dr Cameron.

Since I have no idea who those people are, I'm going to happily enjoy this movie.

Heroes

Dr House

Still happy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything will be better than Star Trek: Insurrection. Geez that movie sucked.

btw!

Kirk at that age would be angsty! He lost his family to a disaster at their colony where some were chosen to live and others were chosen to die, by their governer. It's one of the strongest episodes of TOS where Kirk confronts the villain who is then an old man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Del_Esau wrote:
Anything will be better than Star Trek: Insurrection. Geez that movie sucked.

btw!

Kirk at that age would be angsty! He lost his family to a disaster at their colony where some were chosen to live and others were chosen to die, by their governer. It's one of the strongest episodes of TOS where Kirk confronts the villain who is then an old man.

This is true. But there seem to be a lot of angsty drama action movies. What happened to blow stuff up, go boom, action? (yes, I know, the hero needs a motivation -- but still) Im sure that it will be better than I am giving it credit for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
but... but...

but...

Naw, I listened over a few times... thats a T... just with a lot of run on from the S
whew!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
It looks great, but from the EW article I guess there is already controversy on continuity or some such. It wasn't exactly clear what the controversy was. Does anyone know?

It's basically a reboot (a la 'Batman Begins', 'Battlestar Galactica', etc), with a HUGE number of homages to the original material (vs the other two mentioned, which were almost complete wipe-and-restart)...but definitely still a 'reboot'.

The 'core' of the characters are the same (Kirk is rebellious, Spock is half-human/half-Vulcan, Chekov is proud of his Russian ancestry, Scotty the engineer is a Scot who loves tinkering with things, etc), but almost all specific details changed.

Toggy wrote:
Oh I will see it. But they are sooooo -- young -- and it looks so ---- angsty.

I think that's my biggest problem with it. The crew is TOO young. Chris Pine (plays Kirk) is only 28 at the time of filming. In WW2 (exceptional circumstances), the youngest captain of a DESTROYER was still 27, and had assumed command during an emergency. Simply AGHAST at the idea of someone taking command of a cruiser under 35, forget anything more powerful. Spock as the assigned first officer also looks far too young for that rank...but we'll let that slip. Vulcan and all. He would be expected to look a lot younger than he was. Still...the rest of the bridge crew. Too young. Far, FAR too young. And too 'pretty' (several are clearly models, or had this in their career). And the whole ship is too...bright. I mean, the ship still clearly has a viewscreen that looks out into open space. Doesn't anyone in Hollywood know that kind of lighting ruins your night vision?

I'm not saying it MUST look to 'Galactica' for inspiration - although the bridge and crew of that ship is a far sight closer to actual warships I've been on than this new 'Trek' is looking like. (FWIW., I honestly think Trek II and VI really 'nailed it' for the hybrid look you'd expect a Starfleet ship to have. Although for the 'smaller, leaner' ship that the USS Kelvin is supposed to be, I would have been happier with sets from Das Boot used as inspiration.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey -- but at least Muse is in the trailer. So maybe the Soundtrack will be good? :shrugs:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wow, I really liked it. I was a Star Trek fan for a long time. Saw all the movies (I've seen II and First Contact more times than I care to admit). We watched all the TNG episodes every Saturday in college--got pretty good viewing parties for them. So I like Star Trek. Well, I did. DS9 lost me. The other shows, I can't even remember them all but they just never grabbed me. They felt tired.

I kind of respected Enterprise on some detached level for trying to reinvent the beginning of Star Trek. But I never cared one iota for the crew. Maybe I outgrew it, maybe it suffered from being buried on UPN or some such channel, I don't know. But I know I wasn't alone. All those series seemed to go off and die quiet, mostly unmourned deaths. And even going back and watching the old episodes doesn't hold the same appeal that it once did. I feel like I grew out of Star Trek, and watching any part of the franchise now generally feels like walking the halls of my old high school. Good memories, but its time is long past.

And then comes this trailer. Wow. It's not the action per se that excites me--it's that someone had the balls to take the Star Trek mold, pound it into dust, and say "No, THIS is what starting over is." It's a reinterpretation of the source material by someone who respects it but doesn't feel beholden to it. And that to me is refreshing. Plus, there's the added bonus that we DO care about this crew. We know Kirk, and Spock, and the rest. It's not going to be the same Kirk and Spock. I don't see these actors as a young William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy with their traits and mannerisms. I see characters that have been reinterpreted.

And for a franchise that has been in its grave far longer than anyone will actually admit, that can't be that bad of a thing to do. In my opinion, there's not that much to lose.

We believe Heath Ledger as the Joker, even though he doesn't look like Cesar Romero or Jack Nicholson. We believe Daniel Craig as 007 even though he's not a young Sean Connery or Roger Moore. (I understand not all "reboots" work so well *koffkoffStarWarskoffkoff*) So I think this can work. I think it will work better for people that aren't Star Trek fans, and I can see that diehard Star Trek fans may see this film as pandering to the sensibilities of the common masses. That's ok. I think a lot of people will go see this movie, and the Star Trek fans who hate it will find themselves in the minority. (Not that that makes the masses right or the ST fans wrong--just saying)

I have a friend who's seen most of the movie (his company helped with the special effects). He assures me it's really good. He's not a Star Trek fan though, so take that for what it's worth. Star Trek fans will inevitably judge this more critically than non-Star Trek fans. In fact, I imagine a fair number will look for ways to pick the movie apart.

Not me. I'll be munching my popcorn and having a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
Serious request: Someone please tell me what looks so great about this. I'm not saying it'll be bad, but, after having watched the trailer a few times, I'm still not seeing what's so promising about it. "Siberius"? Klaxons? Explodey?

Oh, I think the general excitement of a new movie overrides specific issues like it *actually* being great

BTW Trekkie or Trekker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The trailer definitely made me want to see it when it's shown on television.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
Hey -- but at least Muse is in the trailer. So maybe the Soundtrack will be good? :shrugs:

Are you sure you don't mean the new Watchmen trailer? That one has "Take a Bow" as its ending song.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teefertiberius wrote:
but... but...

but...

Naw, I listened over a few times... thats a T... just with a lot of run on from the S
whew!!

I believe that the director, etc., knows it's Tiberius, but the actor in this take at the very least isn't making a clear enough break between the ending -s in "James" and the starting T- in "Tiberius." I hear it as "Siberius," but I assume it's just the slide that you mention and that it'll either not be in the final film anyway or recorded over or whatever. I'm not getting my knickers in a twist about it. I'm not that worked up about the trailer, either. It's preliminary, for one thing, and trailers can be cut, as we know, to make the same movie look like a comedy and a drama (and often are so cut to try to lure in different audiences).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That trailer was FUCKING AWESOME. I knew the movie was going to be a reboot/reimagining or whatever but it looks like like they might be starting from the ground up. Young Kirk in a convertible? Never would have expected that. Great bit focusing on Spock (who BTW is the best science fiction character of all time if you didn't already know) I think Quinto will be good. I'm a Star Trek fan and always will be a Star Trek fan and this might be something NEW. Not the tired "channel the tachyons through the deflector" to defeat the aliens or any of that. I'm excited. May is too far away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will either love it or hate it. Either way, I have to see it.

And I think the ship set design dept. is completely looney since Voyager ended. The ships in ST II were spot-on, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
From watching him on Heroes, Zachary Quinto has shown little propensity for playing a character with much of an internal world or much understanding of actual human emotion. He should be a pretty good Spock.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

"Jim, it is illogical, but I have the compelling urge to eat your brains."

"Eat...my brains, Spock? That's...disgusting."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.