a valiant, pungent reindeer king
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
So, why don't they just mess with taste buds to make healthy food taste delicious?

I mean, seriously, we put a freaking man on the moon, I can get laser eye surgery, we can make deaf people hear, but you can't fix my tastebuds to like broccli?



Liberal application of ranch dressing and/or cheese. Then gradually ease off the unhealthy part.

(I can't stand ranch now, but it used to be a staple of my diet. But as far as bitter things go, I also like black coffee and IPAs, and hot sauce may have burned off some of my tastebuds.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Sigafoos wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:
So, why don't they just mess with taste buds to make healthy food taste delicious?

I mean, seriously, we put a freaking man on the moon, I can get laser eye surgery, we can make deaf people hear, but you can't fix my tastebuds to like broccli?



Liberal application of ranch dressing and/or cheese. Then gradually ease off the unhealthy part.

(I can't stand ranch now, but it used to be a staple of my diet. But as far as bitter things go, I also like black coffee and IPAs, and hot sauce may have burned off some of my tastebuds.)


+1 for IPAs

Seriously, beer is the only thing I have 'adult' tastes for. I love sweets everywhere else, but load my beer up with hops. As if you can't tell from the microbadge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
I believe all children should "eat like adults". As you said, it's much healthier. (and tastier as well if you're willing to try "new" things)


This is a whole 'nother point of contention. I'm tired of everyone, EVERYONE, giving my kids shit to eat. Children cannot go a day without their school, their scouts, the church, the community center, whatever your kids are involved in... they cannot go a day without someone giving them donuts, cookies, cake, and candy. Every event I take my children to, they get "treats." It really annoys me that other parents, teachers, leaders, etc. don't even think about this at all. They just give more shit.

Then, along the same lines, restaurant's children menus. No matter what restaurant you go to, here are the kids options: hamburger, grilled cheese, chicken fingers, or quesadilla. And as a side, you can get fries or over-boiled, mushy, disgusting vegetables (carrots and mushy broccoli).

No wonder it is such a pain in the ass to get kids to eat right. It's like no one is even trying, despite all the outrage about childhood obesity.

And if you buck at all, everyone is like, lighten up, let the kid have a cookie. And I'm like, I did. She's had 4 this weekend and ice cream and 2 donuts, and a candy bar.

Sorry, I'm getting worked up. Indulgent gluttony really gets to goo. It really, really bothers me.


I also fully agree with Saisays here. And you can start with this from early on. Which is why I mixed adult food to give to my kids when they were babies. Not the sweet fruit stuff and your standard carrots/mashed potatoes. Too many babies just get sweet food, and stay hooked forever.

The result is that when they needed a picnic for school one day, Colin was the only one in his class without chocolate paste (Nutella) on his sandwiches and some cookie on the side. He chose sandwiches with roquefort and sandwiches with pate, and I made him a little pack of olives as a treat.

Yes, my kids do get cookies and ice cream and fries and junk. But not as their main diet.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
Avatar
mb
Sigafoos wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:
So, why don't they just mess with taste buds to make healthy food taste delicious?

I mean, seriously, we put a freaking man on the moon, I can get laser eye surgery, we can make deaf people hear, but you can't fix my tastebuds to like broccli?



Liberal application of ranch dressing and/or cheese. Then gradually ease off the unhealthy part.

(I can't stand ranch now, but it used to be a staple of my diet. But as far as bitter things go, I also like black coffee and IPAs, and hot sauce may have burned off some of my tastebuds.)


Yeah, the biggest problem with veggies is that they are usually poorly prepared. I hated veggies too, but my mom always boiled them to oblivion. Now, I need veggies to be crisp. Maybe slightly steamed or lightly fried in a bit of olive oil.

Start with green beans (fresh, not canned or frozen--in fact don't eat any canned or frozen veggies if you can afford it). Then roast everything--root vegetables, brussels sprouts. If you must do sweet or heavy sauces, go for it, but back them off over time. Most veggies go best with just a bit of salt a pepper.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
Avatar
mb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
Sigafoos wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:
So, why don't they just mess with taste buds to make healthy food taste delicious?

I mean, seriously, we put a freaking man on the moon, I can get laser eye surgery, we can make deaf people hear, but you can't fix my tastebuds to like broccli?



Liberal application of ranch dressing and/or cheese. Then gradually ease off the unhealthy part.

(I can't stand ranch now, but it used to be a staple of my diet. But as far as bitter things go, I also like black coffee and IPAs, and hot sauce may have burned off some of my tastebuds.)


Yeah, the biggest problem with veggies is that they are usually poorly prepared. I hated veggies too, but my mom always boiled them to oblivion. Now, I need veggies to be crisp. Maybe slightly steamed or lightly fried in a bit of olive oil.

Start with green beans (fresh, not canned or frozen--in fact don't eat any canned or frozen veggies if you can afford avoid it). Then roast everything--root vegetables, brussels sprouts. If you must do sweet or heavy sauces, go for it, but back them off over time. Most veggies go best with just a bit of salt a pepper.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea that forcing your kids to eat healthy when young will make them like certain foods then they grow up is fallacious.

As a baby, I enjoyed peas and carrots and all that baby food. When I grew older, I assume my taste buds finally came to fruition and I hated the taste of most vegetables. My parents always forced me (I mean forced) me to eat vegetables at the dinner table, and we had salad with every meal. However, being forced to eat broccli and peas didn't make me like them more. I still hate them just as much as I always did, because I can't control my taste buds.

So I eat a lot of salad. And tomatoes.

Don't like broccoli, peas, celery, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, etc. Basically any green vegetable. I don't know why.

Don't really like peppers either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And I hate cooked carrots. I dislike raw carrots, but since it was one of the few vegetables I could choke down my mother forced me to eat a bunch of those every dinner. But any steamed/cooked vegetables were worse than raw.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
The idea that forcing your kids to eat healthy when young will make them like certain foods then they grow up is fallacious.

As a baby, I enjoyed peas and carrots and all that baby food. When I grew older, I assume my taste buds finally came to fruition and I hated the taste of most vegetables. My parents always forced me (I mean forced) me to eat vegetables at the dinner table, and we had salad with every meal. However, being forced to eat broccli and peas didn't make me like them more. I still hate them just as much as I always did, because I can't control my taste buds.

So I eat a lot of salad. And tomatoes.

Don't like broccoli, peas, celery, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, etc. Basically any green vegetable. I don't know why.

Don't really like peppers either.


Yeah, and on the flip side, I've always liked vegetables but I was hardly ever given any when growing up.

I really think whether you like them or not is mostly innate. Though obviously how they're prepared will make a big difference too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
in fact don't eat any canned or frozen veggies if you can afford avoid it).


Are you suggesting that canned and frozen vegetables are bad for you, or just that they're not as good for you as fresh vegetables?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
The idea that forcing your kids to eat healthy when young will make them like certain foods then they grow up is fallacious.

As a baby, I enjoyed peas and carrots and all that baby food. When I grew older, I assume my taste buds finally came to fruition and I hated the taste of most vegetables. My parents always forced me (I mean forced) me to eat vegetables at the dinner table, and we had salad with every meal. However, being forced to eat broccli and peas didn't make me like them more. I still hate them just as much as I always did, because I can't control my taste buds.

So I eat a lot of salad. And tomatoes.

Don't like broccoli, peas, celery, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, etc. Basically any green vegetable. I don't know why.

Don't really like peppers either.


Cauliflower is a punishment in some cultures.

My problem has never been sweet. I like fatty foods too much, but I enjoy lots of healthy food, so my overal eating habits are usually pretty good.

My kids are an example of what was suggested. When they were very young I made a strong effort to expose them to less sweet/carb foods and more savory vegetables and whole grains. I never had an issue with thier diet or eating habits. Then my marriage when sour. I can't get them to eat anything like that now, because my ex is lazy about food and feeds them garbage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
My wife even bought the Jessica Seinfeld cookbook so she could sneak veggies into my food.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one thing that annoys me to no end. I see it everywhere, with strangers, with friends, and with family. I imagine this happens a lot in the States as well.

People giving kids cookies/sweets/potato chips, not as a treat, not to be kind, but simply to get them to shut up.


Seriously, junk food has become the parents' weapon of choice to stop their kids from nagging. But oddly enough, those kids nag more than other kids, cause they know they get a treat as a reward. We have gigantic babies and toddlers over here, who just open their mouth to have another cookie be stuffed in, just to avoid them bothering the adults too much.

shake
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ChickenSedan wrote:
My wife even bought the Jessica Seinfeld cookbook so she could sneak veggies into my food.


My wife is trying that. I have keen taste, however.

Me: Why do these chicken nuggets taste like broccoli?

Her: whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
Avatar
mb
funkadillo wrote:
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
in fact don't eat any canned or frozen veggies if you can afford avoid it).


Are you suggesting that canned and frozen vegetables are bad for you, or just that they're not as good for you as fresh vegetables?


I think they usually just don't taste good. I think they retain the nutrition just fine.

For example, I grew up thinking spinach was the most disgusting thing on the planet. My mom would serve us canned spinach every so often. The first time, you're like, Awesome Popeye! Then you taste it.

Now fresh spinach is great. I put it in all kinds of things. But canned or frozen, blech.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davidenkinderen wrote:
There is one thing that annoys me to no end. I see it everywhere, with strangers, with friends, and with family. I imagine this happens a lot in the States as well.

People giving kids cookies/sweets/potato chips, not as a treat, not to be kind, but simply to get them to shut up.


Seriously, junk food has become the parents' weapon of choice to stop their kids from nagging. But oddly enough, those kids nag more than other kids, cause they know they get a treat as a reward. We have gigantic babies and toddlers over here, who just open their mouth to have another cookie be stuffed in, just to avoid them bothering the adults too much.

shake


Well, my parents never really gave me a ton of sweets/candy, and I don't really like it that much now, so I don't know if that's connected.

My mom always had candy all over the house, but it was for "guests". If I had friends over, she'd offer them candy. And I'd be like "I'll have some" and she would say "No, you don't need it"

laugh

We used to have to throw away Halloween candy from the previous year every Halloween, because we were never allowed to eat more than like a piece a week.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
jageroxorz wrote:
ChickenSedan wrote:
My wife even bought the Jessica Seinfeld cookbook so she could sneak veggies into my food.


My wife is trying that. I have keen taste, however.

Me: Why do these chicken nuggets taste like broccoli?

Her: whistle


We both agreed that the black bean brownies were horrible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Snaak wrote:
I liked Alias a lot regardless of all of it's faults. It was just so quirky and endearing and it had very interesting characters.

It's not a "good" show, but it was plenty fun to watch.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
funkadillo wrote:
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
in fact don't eat any canned or frozen veggies if you can afford avoid it).


Are you suggesting that canned and frozen vegetables are bad for you, or just that they're not as good for you as fresh vegetables?


I think they usually just don't taste good. I think they retain the nutrition just fine.

For example, I grew up thinking spinach was the most disgusting thing on the planet. My mom would serve us canned spinach every so often. The first time, you're like, Awesome Popeye! Then you taste it.

Now fresh spinach is great. I put it in all kinds of things. But canned or frozen, blech.


I don't particularly like spinach, it's bitter and weird-tasting IMO, but I can handle some in my salad with the lettuce. But only fresh spinach.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
funkadillo wrote:
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
in fact don't eat any canned or frozen veggies if you can afford avoid it).


Are you suggesting that canned and frozen vegetables are bad for you, or just that they're not as good for you as fresh vegetables?


I think they usually just don't taste good. I think they retain the nutrition just fine.

For example, I grew up thinking spinach was the most disgusting thing on the planet. My mom would serve us canned spinach every so often. The first time, you're like, Awesome Popeye! Then you taste it.

Now fresh spinach is great. I put it in all kinds of things. But canned or frozen, blech.


I'd kill for fresh okra, but it's not culturally relevant to Minnesota, so I get stuck with frozen in my cooking.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
funkadillo wrote:
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
in fact don't eat any canned or frozen veggies if you can afford avoid it).


Are you suggesting that canned and frozen vegetables are bad for you, or just that they're not as good for you as fresh vegetables?


I think they usually just don't taste good. I think they retain the nutrition just fine.

For example, I grew up thinking spinach was the most disgusting thing on the planet. My mom would serve us canned spinach every so often. The first time, you're like, Awesome Popeye! Then you taste it.

Now fresh spinach is great. I put it in all kinds of things. But canned or frozen, blech.


Ah, okay. I can see your point with spinach. But peas, corn, bell peppers, and all that kind of stuff has always tasted really good to me.

Even fresh broccoli is good, but I usually don't care for cooked broccoli that much.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tangentially related to immature tastes: I really dislike the taste of both coffee and beer. I enjoy most vegetables, though.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
My kids are an example of what was suggested. When they were very young I made a strong effort to expose them to less sweet/carb foods and more savory vegetables and whole grains. I never had an issue with thier diet or eating habits. Then my marriage when sour. I can't get them to eat anything like that now, because my ex is lazy about food and feeds them garbage.


Oh wow. This sounds all too familiar. My ex was spoiled rotten by her parents, and the only vegetable she will eat are carrots. And she will only eat processed meat. She hates any adult food, including any kind of fish.

After always loving fish (and eating plenty of it at my place and at school), one summer out of school was enough for Colin to decide he doesn't like fish anymore. I still serve him camouflaged 'white meat' and he will ask me if its fish after a couple of bites (and nevertheless finish it). But he has been brainwashed to believe fish is disgusting. soblue

Co-parenting sucks for so many reasons.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
clockworkd wrote:
Tangentially related to immature tastes: I really dislike the taste of both coffee and beer. I enjoy most vegetables, though.


Everyone dislikes coffee and beer at first. You just have to develop a taste for them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triumphant
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
So, why don't they just mess with taste buds to make healthy food taste delicious?

I mean, seriously, we put a freaking man on the moon, I can get laser eye surgery, we can make deaf people hear, but you can't fix my tastebuds to like broccli?



Ever heard of flavor tripping?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I've never been that into sweets. For me the biggest treat I could get growing up was one of those vegetable platter things.

Though I did love the ranch dip, so that took away some of the nutritional value.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  365 , 366 , 367 , 368 , 369  Next »  [970] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.