United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks pretty interesting, but the counters have me baffled.

I'm trying to set up the Learning Scenario as described on page 24 of the Scenario Book. I'm supposed to use the "III Alae Legion," which I presume is the blue-trimmed tan counters. Do I use them all? What comprises a legion? I don't see any cavalry pieces in this color. Why are the Carthaginians the same color?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you use the ones labeled "AS/III". The cavalry units do not have a trim to them, they are solid tan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
engdy wrote:
This game looks pretty interesting, but the counters have me baffled.

I'm trying to set up the Learning Scenario as described on page 24 of the Scenario Book. I'm supposed to use the "III Alae Legion," which I presume is the blue-trimmed tan counters. Do I use them all? What comprises a legion? I don't see any cavalry pieces in this color. Why are the Carthaginians the same color?

While I think this is explained somewhere in the first few sections, each Legion - think Brigade - contains 10 infantry cohorts (or units) - made up of 4 types of legionary infantry in these days, based on what their job was (e,g., velites) - all the ones with that legions "name" on them. An "Alae" Legion is the companion of the actual Roman legion, or "allied" legion, made up of non-citizens (mostly). Each legion also has attached cavalry, the Alae usually having more cavalry than their Roman counterparts.

Hope that helps . . .

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the quick reply!

I think my confusion peaked in the missing Roman cavalry. I didn't think to look through the tan counters.

So if I've sussed this correctly, I should be using the following pieces for the Learning Scenario.

Roman:
9 AS/III CO LG's (blue-trimmed tan)
2 AS/III TR HI's (blue-trimmed tan)
2 AS/III VE LI's (blue-trimmed tan)
1 AS/III CE LG (blue-trimmed tan)
3 AS/III BC's (tan)
Flam'nus (white)
Tribune (white)
2 Pfct Eqt (white)

Carth:
2 African rectangular PH's (blue)
2 Bal'ric SK's (lt blue)
4 Iberia LI's (lt blue)
Hannibal (lt blue)
2 Nmdia LC's (dark green)
2 Celts LN's (med green)
2 Africa EL's (gray)
Tychaeus (lt green)
Mago (lt green)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.