Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much stuff are you allowed to put on the Pawnbroker's (S040)? The text on the card is just
Pawnbroker's wrote:
Pile different goods from your supply on the Pawnbroker's and take 2F for each good
Does it mean that I can put 1 of each different good I have on the card and receive the money, or can I take everything I've got and pile on there?

And the follow up question: Do I have to buy back my goods before the end of the game?

If the answer is 'Put everything on there and don't buy it back', then it becomes quite powerful in the mid-to-end game.
If the answer is (as we ruled on the spot last night) 'Put 1 of each on there and don't buy it back' then it's a good card for dumping a few things at the end if you have a lot of different goods but not that many of any 1 kind.
If the answer is 'Put 1 of each on the card and you have to buy it back' then the card becomes useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
I read "put different goods" as one of each different good (although I assume upgraded are different to basic)

The second question is answered on the card: It says "you need not buy back your goods", so you are not forced to get them back.

So ... It is quite a useful card near the end of the game, as you can now sell a limited number of goods for 2 each.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils Miehe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can assure you that "one of each different" good is the correct way as I was part of a test-play where this card appeared and where we had played it incorrectly. I can definitely not recommend playing it like we did .

Also it is true that you don't have to buy your goods back so it's an attractive building for the last action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's attractive throughout the game, especially if it comes early. With the money I get there I could buy a ship instead of losing an action and build it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils Miehe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
I'd say it's attractive throughout the game, especially if it comes early. With the money I get there I could buy a ship instead of losing an action and build it.

I agree. It's especially attractive for all goods that are cheaper than 2 when shipped. Unfortunately I also see a disadvantage in selling goods early to the Pawnbroker: Beside the obvious disadvantage of no longer having the goods available for other actions I'll no longer be able to sell this kind of goods at the end of the game when I want "to get rid of them".
So once again I have to estimate if the advantage of having more money available early on is bigger than the advantage to sell many spare goods at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Threepy wrote:
Ponton wrote:

I agree. It's especially attractive for all goods that are cheaper than 2 when shipped. Unfortunately I also see a disadvantage in selling goods early to the Pawnbroker: Beside the obvious disadvantage of no longer having the goods available for other actions I'll no longer be able to sell this kind of goods at the end of the game when I want "to get rid of them".
So once again I have to estimate if the advantage of having more money available early on is bigger than the advantage to sell many spare goods at the end of the game.
I was thinking the same thing: Do you really have that many goods to spare in the early game, even if it would buy you a ship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Early money is worth more in Le Havre than late money. Especially if you use this money to buy crucial buildings or a ship. The earlier the better. I also would never use any such building with my last action. The shipping line is way too good to not be used at the end. However, if you have way too many goods, the Seine bridge might be a better alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
Early money is worth more in Le Havre than late money. Especially if you use this money to buy crucial buildings or a ship. The earlier the better. I also would never use any such building with my last action. The shipping line is way too good to not be used at the end. However, if you have way too many goods, the Seine bridge might be a better alternative.
Which was not in play yesterday as we were playing 2player only...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
hakko504 wrote:
I was thinking the same thing: Do you really have that many goods to spare in the early game, even if it would buy you a ship?

With the marketplace you can get enough different goods. And you're independent from the wharf to be built and not blocked at once. Also, think of the expression in everyone's face when you're buying the wooden ship worth "6" any other player could build via the wharf...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Which was not in play yesterday as we were playing 2player only...

In 2p I always use the shipping line. I'd never use anything else. In 2p you're able to get 3-5 ships and sell loads of goods via those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does each person have their own pile of goods sold to the Pawnbroker? Or is there a common pile of goods? Either way, can I sell a wood there if someone else has already sold a wood there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Casadonte wrote:
Does each person have their own pile of goods sold to the Pawnbroker? Or is there a common pile of goods? Either way, can I sell a wood there if someone else has already sold a wood there?

Each player has its own pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Casadonte wrote:
Either way, can I sell a wood there if someone else has already sold a wood there?

You are not 'selling' anything to a Pawnbroker. You 'pawn' it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
The second question is answered on the card: It says "you need not buy back your goods", so you are not forced to get them back.

But that's not what it says. It says "you need not visit to redeem". IE, when you wish to redeem, you don't have to place your guy on the card, you can just do it on any turn when you're doing something else.

I do agree with you that it's almost surely your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.