Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael
Germany
around Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellows.

I'm wondering which of the two games is more fun - Imperial or A Game of Thrones (First Edition)?
I'm looking for a game which offers some combat between the players. I know, that this is more in an indirect way in Imperial, but which one is for the better?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Now THIS is a great question! They're both so good, and the compare the two is a very interesting notion!

From my plays, A Game of Thrones has a lot more interpersonal subterfuge . . . but not really by design. Imperial *should* have at least the same amount of subterfuge, but everybody is keeping so many variables and factors in their head at one time spinning and flipping in Imperial that trying to contemplate anyone else's moves but your own is a compounding issue . . . much less ALL other's moves.

I'd say AGoT is an easier system to master, allowing you to concentrate more on psychology and diplomacy in a deep manner quickly . . . whereas Imperial has another magnitude of strategy that is quite a bit more cerebral.

Is your group more cerebral or more psychological?

KJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
My avatar is from the chilren's game Monster Mash
mbmbmbmbmb
And more importantly, how many players do you intend to play with?

Cause as I see it, Imperial is better with 3 or 4 players, 5 is a bit too much, and from what I heard, A Game of Thrones is really good with a least 5 players (but I never played this one so this just what I recollected!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that number of players is the deciding factor here (ignoring my huge personal preference for Imperial).

Imperial plays perfectly with anywhere from 3-6 players.

Game of Thrones is essentially only for 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
around Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we mostly are 4 or 5 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-Although many people like it, I have never seen why people call AGoT a diplomatic game; it just boils down to a relatively dull war-ish game with my group (and we are not opposed to diplomacy in any game).
-As mentioned, Imperial scales much better. 3-6 is great, AGoT needs 5. It also needs the first expansion.
-Imperial is mega-awesome fabu. AGoT is okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AGOT is a wargame in Euro-looking clothing.
Imperial is a Euro stock-investment game in wargame clothing.

My tastes run more to AGOT since I am still at heart a wargamer. However, Imperial is an enjoyable game as well. If you are more bloody minded, go with AGOT. If you are looking for a Euro-type game with a degree of direct conflict, then Imperial is your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
These are two of my favorite games, so I tend toward the dreaded "get them both."

But based on your criteria, I'd say go with AGoT. The conflict in that game is exciting. There's conflict in Imperial, but it's very mechanical and has no element of chance, so you can predict exactly what's going to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexei Gartinski
Jordan
Amman
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely AGOT! In particular if you are for combat. Very simple rules and highly replayable. I honestly tried to get into Imperial, but never managed to like it: it is simply too cerebral and mechanical to my liking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer Imperial, which I consider one of the best games ever made!

AGoT it's just an OK game. And AGoT *needs* the first expansion, or else it will be severely unbalanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gallardo
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brauerle wrote:
Well, we mostly are 4 or 5 people.

Imperial

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompcat wrote:
A Game of Thrones has a lot more interpersonal subterfuge . . . but not really by design.

I think that it's absolutely by design, for a few reasons.

* Neighbors are forced to choose their fronts very early in the game.
* There is almost always a back door that you have to worry about.
* Cross-house military support is built into the game.
* The rule stating that you may never show someone an order that you are placing means that there is always some level of doubt about your honesty.

I find AGoT to be an improved version of Diplomacy, which isn't to say that Diplomacy is a bad game, rather that AGoT is that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
AGOT is a wargame in Euro-looking clothing.
Imperial is a Euro stock-investment game in wargame clothing.

This is a good description of the two. Personally, Imperial is my #1 game so I'd recomend it. I enjoy AGoT also, but Imperial is amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial. Not even a close call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Erickson
United States
Winona
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Imperial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
AGoT is a mediocre game made EXCELLENT by the theme and source material. If your group are Ice and Fire fans, it is for you. If not, there is nothing it does that other games don't do better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.