Subject: Disappointed by the robotic voice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else disappointed by the robotic computer voice in this game? Before playing the game I imagined it would be a human sounding voice. My first choice would have been a female voice followed by the HAL 9000 voice. This one is jarringly 1950s. It could be, that was what the designers were aiming for but I still don't like it. Aside from that minor gripe though, the games is great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Linnanen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I thought too that for sure it would be a nice calm female voice. There is something about that voice telling you that "self destruction is activated, time for destruction: one minute"

Now that I have played a couple of times, it doesn't bother me that much, but I am still secretly hoping that some fan will produce an alternative for us. I at least would be willing to offer some GG for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
BOOM
badge
BOOM
pillar wrote:
Yes. I thought too that for sure it would be a nice calm female voice. There is something about that voice telling you that "self destruction is activated, time for destruction: one minute"

Do you know the computer game "Homeworld"?
They had the perfect "nice calm female voice". Chaos all around you, you lost ships by the dozen, and suddenly there was this voice: "Warning: Mothership damaged!". cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't disappointed by it. I think it's fine. Is it the same voice in German as in English?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heise
Germany
Wiesbaden
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm.. I thought it would be a classic robotic voice, not a cool metallic sounding female one. I thinks it fits very well to a starship whose shields, reactors and lasers are controlled by large, coloured buttons with letters on it. laugh

The english version sounds nice and futuristic, but the german tracks are a little bit loveless. You hear a voice that isn't postprocessed enough to disguise the unprofessional speaker, who even speaks with some kind of dialect. *gg*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kröhnert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope for a Dark Star inspired calm female voice:

"Good for you, you've decided to clean the elevator!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kröhnert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chobe wrote:
...a voice that isn't postprocessed enough to disguise the unprofessional speaker, who even speaks with some kind of dialect. *gg*
In fact the speaker does a good job here - but his Austrian accent distracts most German listeners (only for a moment, as one is much too busy planning his moves).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heise
Germany
Wiesbaden
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michel wrote:
chobe wrote:
...a voice that isn't postprocessed enough to disguise the unprofessional speaker, who even speaks with some kind of dialect. *gg*
In fact the speaker does a good job here - but his Austrian accent distracts most German listeners (only for a moment, as one is much too busy planning his moves).

Hehe.. you're right. I realized it while listening to it without playing the game.. We came across an english track an had to compare.

Perhaps one day I will be able to take a holiday and reproduce the soundtracks.. *gg*
*gathers prices for Susi Müller or Gabriele Libbach* laugh ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
stinger_6 wrote:
pillar wrote:

Do you know the computer game "Homeworld"?
They had the perfect "nice calm female voice". Chaos all around you, you lost ships by the dozen, and suddenly there was this voice: "Warning: Mothership damaged!". cool

That's the voice I was imagining before I played the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbarree wrote:
...My first choice would have been a female voice followed by the HAL 9000 voice. This one is jarringly 1950s.

I figured that the computer voice would be one of the above three but I am quite happy with the deliberately slightly cheesy, 50's-y voice that they choose (for the English edition anyway).

I suppose that there is nothing stopping CGE from using different voices in future supplements. It might even be a fun way to distinguish game effects or similar.

(On a similar but slightly unrelated note, I always figured that Iron Mans onboard computer would have a sexy womans voice but when the movie rolled around it turned out to be a "BBC tones" guys voice. That didnt really bother me either in the end, they both fit.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused because it is so much like the voice in my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping, or at least would like, I voice somewhat similar to GLaDOS. It would be hilarious, I wouldn't notice how badly I'd be losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the first training game tonight. We set it up late just after my friend's kids went to bed. We had it abit loud since the stereo was in the other room. It freaked the kids out when the voice started up! Everyone was wondering what all the strange sounds were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
It reminds me of the original TV cylons. Not that I remember that very well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the Geek Con, my friends and I found the voice so annoying as we played games close by that we refused to even try Space Alert.

Our loss perhaps.

I also don't let my son watch Barney, Dora, or Diego... (annoying voices peeve me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the voice quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it a bunch at BGG.CON. It was wierd playing with multiple copies in the room.

"Alert! Threat zone ..." Oh, wait that is the other table.

Oh, and then I went into the ballroom and played Agricola, only to vaguely hear "Woop Woop. Threat, zone ..."

No, I could not hear the Essen room. It was not there at all. It was just replaying in my mind . . . Alll through the Agricola game . . . Arrrgh!

Oh, wait, I hear it now. Boy! I am in trouble!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbarree wrote:
Anyone else disappointed by the robotic computer voice in this game? Before playing the game I imagined it would be a human sounding voice. My first choice would have been a female voice followed by the HAL 9000 voice. This one is jarringly 1950s.

Absolutely, said the exact same thing in another thread. My wife hates the voice so much that I'm sure she won't even try it with the soundtrack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.