Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Johnston
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have looked at the requirements for protecting my games. I have CC-E and CC-M is on the way. I understand using trays and deck holders for organization, but is it really worth it to sanitize everything by using sleeves and all of that? If you spend $50 to protect everything, why not spend another $10-20 and get another complete copy of the game?

Please know that I am not criticizing here. I am merely asking the question. I see new copies going for $55 or so on Ebay. I bought my copy at a local game shop for GMT list price, but I am OK with that if that keeps them in business.

So tell me, what should I spend my money on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My insight on this issue is that if you don't already own a reserve copy...protecting your investment is the way to go. The first benefit is a game that will last a lifetime so you can passit down to children later on. The second and most important reason for me is that you never know when these game will be OOP forever! Take Up Front, I used clear card sleeves when I purchased the game and boy am I glad i did!!!! I have a game that looks as it did wen I purchased it with no decline in game quality.

Especially in these crappy economic times, companies may have to close doors....look at Operational Studies Group, a great company wth great products and all of a sudden last month....POOF...they are closing thier doors. Glad I have the products I do of thiers because findng the good ones developed by OCS will cost a mint!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilian de Jager
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you play the game often, i'd strongly recommend to buy protective decks. If you play the game a lot, the cards will be worn(?) soon. And without cards, ...

And if you don't want to spend too much money for all your games, just buy enough to protect two or three decks and replace the sleeves if you play want to play with another army.

I was so lucky that I didn't have to buy new sleeves since I've played a lot of Star Wars Customizable Card Game at the time (one of the best customizable card games I've ever seen) and I bought myself plenty of protectors to keep my rare and the more expensive uncommon cards in good condition while playing.

(edit: added link, corrected some text and removed a stupid remark of being not Dutch )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't view board games as either investments or heirlooms, and I usually don't worry about sleeving. However, with CC I did buy some cheap sleeves for the cards to provide some minimal protection since the decks are used so much. You could buy better ones to help ensure the cards don't get bent, etc., but I'd rather just replace any damaged sleeves and take my chances that the cards won't get mashed up. My slightly bigger problem is that once I put the counters in trays and the cards in sleeves, I had trouble packing the thing back up. Adding Med fixed that, although I don't know what I'll do when Pacific comes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with "protect" as I don't see games as "use them and throw them away" items.
One question though: how do you come to your 50$ figure to protect the games? I think I payed something like 15-20$ for 1500 cardsleeves and countertrays are also not so expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Johnston
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sancherib wrote:
I'd go with "protect" as I don't see games as "use them and throw them away" items.
One question though: how do you come to your 50$ figure to protect the games? I think I payed something like 15-20$ for 1500 cardsleeves and countertrays are also not so expensive.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/351183
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/339640

My figure did include shipping, so that may not have been accurate.

I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression. I just spent $125 to overhaul my clothes dryer because the new computerized ones are too expensive to fix myself. I have a 10 yr old Camry with 169K miles. I am not a "use it and throw it away" type, but I am also not against having a "trophy copy" and a "player's copy". Just looking for feedback and wondering what too much protection may do to the game experience. The speed that this game can move is part of what intrigues me. I don't want to slow that down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CBRMichael wrote:
I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression. I just spent $125 to overhaul my clothes dryer because the new computerized ones are too expensive to fix myself. I have a 10 yr old Camry with 169K miles. I am not a "use it and throw it away" type, but I am also not against have a "trophy copy" and a "player's copy". Just looking for feedback and wondering what too much protection may do to the game experience. The speed that this game can move is part of what intrigues me. I don't want to slow that down.

BTW; I didn't want to sound judgemental or so, really: just chose the wrong words, I'm afraid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Johnston
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense at all. I'm new to the game and just back into wargames after about 18 years, so I am really looking for opinions. I asked, so I am glad you answered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the replacement decks are still available from GMT I would recommend buying them, great value. Here's hoping they offer replacement decks for CC:M as well.

With the replacement decks in hand, I don't feel like I need to use sleeves, and therefore can shuffle MUCH more easily. My dad likes the mechanical shuffler machine, which is a little hard on cards, but great fun, and will not work with sleeves.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Grossman
United States
Grand Junction
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
If the replacement decks are still available from GMT I would recommend buying them, great value. Here's hoping they offer replacement decks for CC:M as well.
Chick

I couldn't agree more. I love the feel of cards in my hand and shuffling the deck. I recently purchased two additional decks and would do the same if they are offered for CC:M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff, check GMT's website. I believe the CC:M cards have been available for a few months, at least. They are probably listed under something vague like "game accessories" or "extra bits" or something like that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Extra cards are available. I bought replacement decks. Unfortunately CC:M decks are not available at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CBRMichael wrote:
If you spend $50 to protect everything, why not spend another $10-20 and get another complete copy of the game?

I think you have it backwards. It may cost $10-$20 to "sanitize"/protect a game (and that would be an extreme case), but another $50 to get a second copy/replacement.

Most protective measures are simple and cheap:

Protective sleeves for cards.
Resealable snack and sandwich baggies for counters and components.
...Or counter trays if baggies are your thing.
Hair bands (not rubber bands) to keep decks together. If ONLY to keep the cards together!

For some time, effort, or a little added cost, some even:

Use or create tuck boxes to store decks
Use aerosol acrylic sealers to help preserve counters
Laminate the player-aid charts

At the extreme end of money, time, and effort, a few even replace some of the original components with:

Miniatures
"Living" rules (The latest and greatest rules form the publisher, designer, or long-standing fans of a game)
Customized and re-designed player-aids and materials found here on the 'Geek.

I used to not be so fussy about my games. But I protect them not because I want a pristine set to resell later, but to keep games I play a fair amount better preserved against the wear and tear of casual play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
wwscrispin wrote:
Extra cards are available. I bought replacement decks. Unfortunately CC:M decks are not available at this time.

Did you ask someone at GMT? Because while they don't show up in the accessories list, you can usually still buy parts a la carte. Just call or chat with them online and they'll set the order up for you. I bought a Commands & Colors deck that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
wwscrispin wrote:

Did you ask someone at GMT? Because while they don't show up in the accessories list, you can usually still buy parts a la carte. Just call or chat with them online and they'll set the order up for you. I bought a Commands & Colors deck that way.

Yes, I emailed but apparently they did not print any extra beyond what they need to put together games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
wwscrispin wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
wwscrispin wrote:

Yes, I emailed but apparently they did not print any extra beyond what they need to put together games.

Bummer.

You might still try calling or chatting. I was chatting and asked about the C&C:A deck. She didn't know so handed me off to a supervisor or something and she was able to sell me the deck.

Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I emailed but apparently they did not print any extra beyond what they need to put together games.

Check with them again, because when I was at the warehouse last month I personally saw hundreds of extra decks for CC:M. Whomever you spoke with didn't know where to look, apparently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll check again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilian de Jager
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you surf to http://www.gmtgames.com/c-13-parts-accessories.aspx you'll find replacement decks for CC:E. 'the second item in the list.

edit: but not for CC:M apparently. once again too quickly with a responseblush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Grossman
United States
Grand Junction
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I talked to GMT yesterday and today. I was able to buy extra copies of the French and British decks, but apparently they are short of Italian decks.

However, I did snag an extra copy of CC:M on ebay, so I should be in good shape for a while!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Johnston
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geebob wrote:
However, I did snag an extra copy of CC:M on ebay, so I should be in good shape for a while! :)

My point exactly!! Thanks for all of the discussion about my inquiry. I appreciate all of the opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.