United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
So what does everyone think about Epics?

I've played a couple of games with an Epic on the board, and I'm still not sure about my reaction to them. Yes, typically they are a little more badass than your normal unit, but they come at a huge price of being THE target of choice.

Nothing focuses enemy fire like fielding a big fat 8-Victory-Point unit on the battleground.

What are your experiences and thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda agree with you. I played twice with Thrall, and while he is a BAMF, the bullseye painted firmly on his ass is huge. Plus, you've got to do some SERIOUS damage and killing to make it worthwhile.

I'm not saying I won't use him again, but I think were I in a tournament, I don't know the EPICS, Thrall in particular in my case, would be viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
Canada
East York
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with this, while they're a bit better then normal units, they're worth too many points to the opposing team to really stay alive.

If you're doing 20 point teams, 3v3, You pick Thrall and some average units, the opposing team just has to slaughter Thrall to win.

Even with a higher points-per-army it will still make a large dent in their score.

In my opinion, from the Epics I've seen, they're not worth double. It's too big a risk for little payout.

Perhaps in a raid setting, but not in the versus skirmish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I beat a 24 point Warchief Thrall army the other day with a 13 honor alliance army.
Warchief Thrall never made even one successful attack and his army lost 13 to 2.
Epics are overrated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see tournament winners using low-cost figures with optimized action cards, rather than Epics.

For example, don't underestimate the effectiveness of a Blindlight Murloc with Blink and Swiftness Potion. He's only 4 honor points, and he's a speedy 3-range 6-attack-dice cannon who exhausts an enemy action card on crits (which happens quite often with 6 attack dice). He also maintains LOS through enemy units, so there's no hiding a damaged enemy from him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see tournament winners using low-cost figures with optimized action cards, rather than Epics.

For example, don't underestimate the effectiveness of a Blindlight Murloc with Blink and Swiftness Potion. He's only 4 honor points, and he's a speedy 3-range 6-attack-dice cannon who exhausts an enemy action card on crits (which happens quite often with 6 attack dice). He also maintains LOS through enemy units, so there's no hiding a damaged enemy from him.

Morganis Blackvein
5 honor and a 3 for 7 attack. Morganis in combo with Thangal literally allowed me to win the initial sponsored tournament undefeated. Morganis never died in any of the games either despite his puny 1/1/5 stats.
He's my favorite guy now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
Morganis Blackvein
5 honor and a 3 for 7 attack. Morganis in combo with Thangal literally allowed me to win the initial sponsored tournament undefeated. Morganis never died in any of the games either despite his puny 1/1/5 stats.

Nice!
What action cards to you usually use with him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Rokkr wrote:
Morganis Blackvein

Nice!
What action cards to you usually use with him?

The initial tournament was a sealed booster so I used the cards he came with, Swiftness Potion and Polymorph. I used the potion a couple times to back him out of harms way or to step up and deliver a hearty smack unexpectedly.
I only used Polymorh once, to lock Fillet in place while I dealt with his healer.
Mostly I used the cards for his special ability in combo with his crit bonus. He can tap one of his action bar cards to soak one damage. If he crits on his attack, he untaps an action bar card. Pretty sweet.
He also had Thangal with him. When Morganis wasdue to take a whupping, I'd Bear Form Thangal, giving him taunt and keep the attacks focused on Thangal instead. Bear form gives him 3 armor as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kowalczyk
United States
Somonauk
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do the rules say that destroying an Epic unit is worth 8 points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
Canada
East York
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Destroying an epic unit is worth DOUBLE the honor value. It says it right on the card IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
ted_k27 wrote:

First, you should know that the basic rules distributed with the basic starter are not the full rules. An updated version will ship with the Deluxe Starter on Dec 9th, and will also be available in PDF form online. For now, the most complete version of the rules is available here:
http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/COMMUNITY/files/1522530/d...

In the comprehensive rulebook, there is this rule:

Also, on every Epic card, there is the following:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kowalczyk
United States
Somonauk
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
ted_k27 wrote:

First, you should know that the basic rules distributed with the basic starter are not the full rules. An updated version will ship with the Deluxe Starter on Dec 9th, and will also be available in PDF form online. For now, the most complete version of the rules is available here:
http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/COMMUNITY/files/1522530/d...

In the comprehensive rulebook, there is this rule:

Also, on every Epic card, there is the following:

Thanks!
I looked in that document and couldn't find that. I think they need a section titled "scoring" or "victory points". I looked hard in the section "winning and losing" and couldn't find any info on how to score victory points. And unfortunately at this time I have no epic card to look at

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's hoping that the new rulebook with the Deluxe Starter will be a bit more user-friendly than the current Comprehensive rulebook so we don't have to say things like, "according to section 403, paragraph 2, subsection c ..."
shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
Canada
East York
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Here's hoping that the new rulebook with the Deluxe Starter will be a bit more user-friendly than the current Comprehensive rulebook so we don't have to say things like, "according to section 403, paragraph 2, subsection c ..."
shake

The first rule of Comprehensive Rule club, is that we do not talk about section 403, paragraph 2, subsection c. as seen in section 403, paragraph 3, subsection a.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ted_k27 wrote:

Take note, it's legendary characters that provide double VP's.
And not all legendary characters are epics. Chen in this set is legendary, but not epic, but IS worth 8 VP's when killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
Take note, it's legendary characters that provide double VP's. And not all legendary characters are epics. Chen in this set is legendary, but not epic, but IS worth 8 VP's when killed.

Interesing. I didn't know that. It makes sense though ... as "epic" is a measurement of rarity, and "legendary" is an attribute of a figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Loftus
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is exactly correct.

In a game I played at lunch today, Tyrande did INCREDIBLY well, you have to keep her out of harms way and constantly moving.

I find it depends on the epic, but I'll know more after trying out Highlord Bolvar my next game.

In general, The Legendaries represent well-known characters from the MMO. It always made sense to me that they would be way more powerful than the average guy, but the victory of taking them out should be that much sweeter.

Whether you like playing with them or not is going to be a personal taste choice, but I'm happy that everyone isn't average, the heroes make the game very interesting and fun.

ALSO... remember that sealed games usually are open a booster and play with 2 out of 3. This usually means that Epics are the best choice... but not always, depends on the epic you pull.

As usual, it comes down to rolling in the end; and to a lesser extent making good tactical choices.

For example, in the game I played today, I did not score 1 VP off the VP itself, getting into the middle against my enemy would have been fatal.

I won 24 to 12. I was playing to 24 and my opponent to 20, so the honor costs of the characters was fairly similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrande seems to be the best value Legendary, off the top of my head she has a 2 tick, unlimited ranged attack that ignores LOS, and readies on a crit is pretty impressive.

I havent got Ras Frostwhisper or Bolvar yet to compare, Arugal is pretty decent though.

Thrall hits hard and is pretty nasty, but is very vulnerable to magic damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.