Recommend
35 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Compact Disc way too expensive for what you get rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd been hearing a lot about Coldplay's album Viva la Vida, and it was ranked really highly on newalbumgeek.com, and sounded like the kind of album I'd like, so I bought it.

Man, am I disappointed.

I opened up the jewel case and what was in there? Air. A lot of it. Oh, and this shiny plastic disc thing.

What kind of scam do they think they're pulling? If I wanted shiny plastic disc things, I could go into Staples and get a stack of 50 of them for $20.

A friend tried to tell me, "Hey, but you're paying for the music on it, not the disc," but even if that's the case, a shop downtown has a big bin of hundreds of discs with music on them for $5 apiece (brand new even), so that means music-discs should only cost $5.

So $20? For air and a disc with music on it? What gives?

devil
52 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, get an MP3 player.

That way, when you want new music, you pay and get nothing.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So you would have been happy if you would have paid that much for one 2 minute song on the CD, even if it was a really good song and you could listen to it over and over again? Particularly if other good bands were putting out similarly priced CDs that had 10 really good songs on them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Coldplay is never good news
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Dude, get an MP3 player.

That way, when you want new music, you pay and get nothing.


that's not true! you get stacks of 1's and 0's - that's brilliant value!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the old day, you used to get what you paid for! Dang these newfangled music companies who gouge the consumer with those tiny little disks.

How come some companies still make Vinyl! Yes, when companies cared about their consumers, they came with not only vinyl disks, but album liners with unique art, and sometimes the lyrics to the music. Vinyl is in all ways better - just because I say so! Your opinion does not matter, because what I say is more important. If you dare to disagree, you are just a fanboy and should go soak your head in your non-vinyl loving, non-customer service loving little petty world.

In the 70's, it seems like ALL the companies put Vinyl in their product! How dare new comapanies try to shave a buck or two off their cost at the expense of a superior product. If Apple records could make a profit printing high quality vinyl, why can't these new companies? It is a consipiracy to gouge!!!! Bad BAD companies!!!!!!

I declare that all old school RECORD labels are hereby superior customer service, and all these newfangled CD producers are just ripping off the customer...

For Pete's sake it is Vinyl that makes the difference!!!!

(Where have I heard this argument before?)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
mussels wrote:


So $20? For air and a disc with music on it? What gives?





It's like complaining that board games shouldn't cost 60$ because it's just a bunch of paper in the box. I can buy a pad of paper for .79.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
mussels wrote:
So $20? For air and a disc with music on it? What gives?

It's like complaining that board games shouldn't cost 60$ because it's just a bunch of paper in the box. I can buy a pad of paper for .79.


That was precisely my point.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no way I could ever get my money's worth if I spent $5 on a Coldplay CD.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mussels wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:
mussels wrote:
So $20? For air and a disc with music on it? What gives?

It's like complaining that board games shouldn't cost 60$ because it's just a bunch of paper in the box. I can buy a pad of paper for .79.


That was precisely my point.


Oh dear, you needed to use an "irony" flag on this one, just in case
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
There's no way I could ever get my money's worth if I spent $5 on a Coldplay CD.

I'm actually not that big a Coldplay fan myself, so I kind of agree, but I figured it served as a better example than some of the more obscure artists I really like, because at least Coldplay are award-winning, heavily-hyped, etc etc etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously.

It's like food. You pay for it, and when you're done there's nothing left but a piece of crap!

21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehibbert wrote:

Oh dear, you needed to use an "irony" flag on this one, just in case


I thought the little devil at the bottom and the fact that it was on a game forum was a dead giveaway. If Jonathan Swift posted something on BGG he'd start all manner of irrelevant flamewars. You're probably right, though, better safe than sorry these days. shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gmonk wrote:
mikehibbert wrote:

Oh dear, you needed to use an "irony" flag on this one, just in case


I thought the little devil at the bottom and the fact that it was on a game forum was a dead giveaway. If Jonathan Swift posted something on BGG he'd start all manner of irrelevant flamewars. You're probably right, though, better safe than sorry these days. shake


Hey, the flamewars usually only had to the hilarity of the initial post.

I mean, can you imagine?

SwifterJdog wrote:
I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled ...


Are you sick!?!?! WTF!!! You should be shot! What kind of human being are you???

I have a little sister, you SICK BASTARD!!! FOR SHAME!!!@
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gmonk wrote:
mikehibbert wrote:

Oh dear, you needed to use an "irony" flag on this one, just in case


I thought the little devil at the bottom and the fact that it was on a game forum was a dead giveaway. If Jonathan Swift posted something on BGG he'd start all manner of irrelevant flamewars. You're probably right, though, better safe than sorry these days. shake


No doubt. Except, for the music industry, it appears that around the world, many people would take the OP seriously. Hence the rise of Napster and related sharing programs, and more recently torrents.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LEHaskell wrote:
Why is this in General Gaming?




Because we are all pawns of the big music companies!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Miller
United States
Glasgow
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MadBrad wrote:

In the 70's, it seems like ALL the companies put Vinyl in their product! How dare new comapanies try to shave a buck or two off their cost at the expense of a superior product. If Apple records could make a profit printing high quality vinyl, why can't these new companies? It is a consipiracy to gouge!!!! Bad BAD companies!!!!!!

I declare that all old school RECORD labels are hereby superior customer service, and all these newfangled CD producers are just ripping off the customer...

For Pete's sake it is Vinyl that makes the difference!!!!

(Where have I heard this argument before?)


I second the vinyl comment...go get yourself a good Stanton or Technics turntable and hear how the music is really supposed to sound, not all 128k and lossy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have nothing to contribute except for this not so recent strip:

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
I have nothing to contribute except for this not so recent strip:



Lol, this is so true..

About 5 years ago, McDonalds had a promotion. a Free MP3 with a big mac. So I got my ticket off the bigmac packaging with it's code. Downloaded a song (i forget the site now, wasn't itunes, some other site).

Ok. so I had my song. About 2 months later I went to play it, and before I could, I had to log back into their site, and re-register it or something. It was so frustrating, I trashed the mp3, went onto emule and downloaded it for free. Never had an issue with pirated versions, besides the idiots that record them in mono at a terrible bit rate, and then cut off the last 2 seconds of the song.

Ah the good ole napster days.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why pay $20 for Coldplay when you could buy this CD for half the price?
Guided meditation for restful sleep - Sound therapy sleep CD for deep sleep.
It will put you to sleep almost as fast as Coldplay will!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.
Avatar
mb
Remember when the plastic CDs cases came in a cardboard package twice its size? It was part for security (harder to stuff in your pants) and partly to make you feel like you are getting something substantial.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Godspeed the Punchline
United States
San Joser
California
flag msg tools
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
Remember when the plastic CDs cases came in a cardboard package twice its size? It was part for security (harder to stuff in your pants) and partly to make you feel like you are getting something substantial.


They're called 'longboxes'-- they were also for record stores making the switch to CDs, so they wouldn't have to change out their bins. You still see them from time to time in places like Costco.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
No doubt. Except, for the music industry, it appears that around the world, many people would take the OP seriously. Hence the rise of Napster and related sharing programs, and more recently torrents.


. . . And the boardgame/cardgame industry at least to some degree, judging from the number of "X game was too expensive, so I downloaded all the artwork and printed my own version" threads that pop up around here. . . .

I think that's part of what contributes to some people's perception that a game should only cost $N, because they can create a homemade version only costs $N, plus their own labour, which they perceive as free (I don't), and the intellectual property of the rules and general structure of the game, which they also inherited for free.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What's all this crap about vinyl? I treasured my old bakelite collection until I dropped it. And cylinders? At least they were 3-D.

Now, don't press the irony button because I am not kidding.


Jim
Est. 1949

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.