Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Gardunia
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a hero or a monster is in a pit, can it make melee attacks vs adjacent figures (and vice-versa)? Additionally, will adjacent effect powers like aura hit monster than move past a hero in a pit (that has with aura). I assume so because it's implied with the Grapple/pit rule change that grapple works against someone in an adjacent pit space.

For large monsters and pits, I assume they can freely move over them as long as they don't move fully into them. Was there something about the front half of the monster 'falling in'? I couldn't find the reference in the rules/FAQ.

Assuming a large monster can move over a pit freely, can it -stop- on pit space (ie. a spider on a single pit space)? I assume so as it says they are not affected unless they are fully in.

The pit assumptions above make (visual) sense with a 4-base monster, but do the same assumptions also apply to hellhounds?

There are instances where the OL can roll more than 5 dice (ie. Giant + DOOM! Power). Is this legal or is the OL also limited to 5 dice per attack?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skythian wrote:
If a hero or a monster is in a pit, can it make melee attacks vs adjacent figures (and vice-versa)? Additionally, will adjacent effect powers like aura hit monster than move past a hero in a pit (that has with aura). I assume so because it's implied with the Grapple/pit rule change that grapple works against someone in an adjacent pit space.

Figures in a pit can actually be attacked by figures outside the pit from any distance--Manticores and Dragons and whatever can snipe heroes in pits from across the room. Pits specifically provide an asymmetrical advantage to the guy who is not stuck in them.

As far as I know, there is no rule preventing any effects extending out of a pit other than line-of-sight. So, with the errata that says you can see adjacent spaces outside the pit, yes, you can attack out of the pit (either melee or with a ranged weapon), but not more than 1 space away. And I see no reason that Aura wouldn't hurt foes outside the pit.

Skythian wrote:
For large monsters and pits, I assume they can freely move over them as long as they don't move fully into them. Was there something about the front half of the monster 'falling in'? I couldn't find the reference in the rules/FAQ.

You only fall into a pit if every space you occupy is a pit space (p. 16 of original rules).

The "front half" thing only applied to hazards that hurt you if any part of you overlaps them, such as lava or scything blades (there are no hazards that work this way in the base game). It's also hopelessly poorly worded.

Skythian wrote:
Assuming a large monster can move over a pit freely, can it -stop- on pit space (ie. a spider on a single pit space)? I assume so as it says they are not affected unless they are fully in.

Yes, it can. For example, a Bane Spider can end its turn overlapping 3 pit spaces and 1 normal space and not fall in.

Skythian wrote:
The pit assumptions above make (visual) sense with a 4-base monster, but do the same assumptions also apply to hellhounds?

Yes, they do. Hellhounds don't fall in unless they're entirely over a pit, even if half of them is over a pit.

Skythian wrote:
There are instances where the OL can roll more than 5 dice (ie. Giant + DOOM! Power). Is this legal or is the OL also limited to 5 dice per attack?

The restriction is about rolling more than five power dice (the black ones), not five dice total. It is entirely legal to roll a red die, two green dice, two yellow dice, and five black dice all in the same attack.

However, if you do find a way for a monster to roll more than five black dice (possible in expansions), the Overlord is limited to five, just like the heroes. (Though if you're playing Road to Legend, you can upgrade the black dice to silver/gold dice and effectively get fifteen.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Gardunia
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That helps a LOT!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.