Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: geekmod [+] someone_is_being_a_tool [+] [View All]
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I recall Grognads being fairly grumpy and bitchy a few months ago about the GeekMod weirdness. What was it? He was carping about obviously useful images being repeatedly declined?

Now I understand. My practice on BGG has never been to copiously upload image after image after image in order to get GG. No... instead I have always viewed uploading information or images as an obligation if I had something to share or offer that enriched other fans of a particular game, or made them aware of a game they didn't know existed.

So now I have been declined by a pack of petty modder-nazis who I suppose get more tenths of a GG for declining than they do approving. I simply wanted to add some of the out of production specialty cars that had been made for Formula De because various people have asked about them over the years I've been here. The reasons they were declined?

* wrong catagory
* blurry
* not relevant

Here are the images:

Well, what catagory would they be in? People? Nope. Creative? Nope. How about "game"? Yes, that is the one I put them in.

The rear duplicate cars are blurry you mooks. That's because the front ones are IN FOCUS!

How is an add-on accessory product to a hugely popular game system that is now being released in an all-new format not relevant?

Frankly... I don't need the GG... but if you pissants don't want other gamers to see this stuff then so be it.

Grogs... you were right man. Give a weak mind a miniscule bit of power and it'll they'll use it wrong every time.
  • [+] Dice rolls
lonnie kim
United States
milpitas
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
from what i have noticed, when most people complain about this, their images ARE terrible.

these seem fine though. weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooky
United States
Canton
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the problem with paying users more to decline than to approve. I fully understand that the geek doesn't need 10 million crappy blurry poorly cropped pictures of monopoly boxes, but there needs to be some better guidelines in place as to what should be accepted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Where the images captioned? Without a caption they could be mistaken for a random garage sale find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
Where the images captioned? Without a caption they could be mistaken for a random garage sale find.

They were indeed. The captions went so far as to identify each set of cars... Mini Cooper and Vintage NASCAR racers.

*edit*

In fact, I have two other sets... Sports Cars, as in endurance style cars and Modern Stock Cars. I happened to be snapping some eBay pics today and just grabbed these two for BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make a slight change to the image and resubmit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These "pictures" had no cats.

Don't know what you were thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klarkinhistrep wrote:

Or boobs. Add some boobs & resubmit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
subhan wrote:
klarkinhistrep wrote:

Boobs with glitter. That'll distract the image mods even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely feel this way from time to time, so I get where you're coming from. I always felt the .10 gg for declining was far too enticing an incentive for many moronic modders to pass up. Most times, the modding is just fine, but every now and then a perfect storm of GG hoarders/simpletons band together to reject everything decent in sight.

As a side note, I'll take that 1970 Plymouth Superbird in the first photo, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Quote:
The only thing I can think of here is that people may not be in the know that there is an add-on accessory product for the game in question

Then they have no business modding submissions for that game.
The modding system is broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the pictures ended up exactly where they belong: in your personal gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooky
United States
Canton
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
It looks like the pictures ended up exactly where they belong: in your personal gallery.

Why would images of expansion pieces to a fairly popular game belong only in his gallery? Why wouldn't these belong with the game in question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
shake nope! MINE was more about "content" being DENIED its 'rightful place' HERE!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/341432

And yet this ONE of ALL for that were FINALLY "accepted"?!?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/341413

Talk about your "double-dealing standards" eh?
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jooky wrote:
dcorban wrote:

Why would images of expansion pieces to a fairly popular game belong only in his gallery? Why wouldn't these belong with the game in question?

I will go out on a limb and guess that 99.999~% of people looking at pics of Formula De couldn't give a rat's ass about some obscure unpainted add-on cars. It's just clutter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Jooky wrote:
dcorban wrote:

I will go out on a limb and guess that 99.999~% of people looking at pics of Formula De couldn't give a rat's ass about some obscure unpainted add-on cars. It's just clutter.

You'd be wrong. Nothing new there, eh Dan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Zehner
United States
Saint Cloud
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
subhan wrote:
klarkinhistrep wrote:

The "boobs" are the modders. I just don't bother submitting pictures anymore. I do have a proposal though.

I decided to do some modding myself to see what the muss and fuss was all about. I was horrified to see what was declined in the picture category. Perfectly relevant, viewable, useful pictures marked as irrelevant, blurred, glare, wrong category, pictures for new games, better, more descriptive pictures for old games, etc. The exact same review (but with an additional word in the title) accepted twice. And my list goes on and on. All this to the detriment of BGG.

So, what to do. I suggest that ALL declined submissions go to a review board of three or more elected/selected volunteers for final disposition. Shoot, I'll volunteer my time for three months right here and now without any strings attached. Maybe ask other experienced photo and review submitters to take some time (and it only takes a moment to see if the submission is valid or not).

Take Care,

Gene Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
So, what to do. I suggest that ALL declined submissions go to a review board of three or more elected/selected volunteers for final disposition. Shoot, I'll volunteer my time for three months right here and now without any strings attached. Maybe ask other experienced photo and review submitters to take some time (and it only takes a moment to see if the submission is valid or not).

Just getting people to follow through and stick with it might be a problem Gene. I recall, in the "old" days, numerous threads where people were upset that they weren't getting their pics approved fast enough.... which led to this semi-broken system.

I also agree with Boojwah... you shouldn't be requred to know the ins-n-outs of a game to mod a picture. I don't mod because it's close to impossible for me to spend the time I feel each submission deserves. So I think it's just an assembly line for many folks looking to buy microbadges. Can't blame 'em for wanting the perks, but somehow the added percentage for denying a submission seems to have backfired.

I spend a fair amount of time looking at the images of the games I'm interested in. Mostly, the ones of cards on a table or the 20 or 30 similar shots of the board and pieces are a waste... for me. But I suppose they provide some value. Don't they? What I look for are close-ups of components, counters and charts. That and my favorites... the ones with actual people playing.

Perhaps Aldie ought to consider some sort of "mod count" system where GG or microbadges are earned after X amount of images have been modded, without skewing the modding by paying more for a turn-down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Jooky wrote:
dcorban wrote:

Do you know the image moderation guides?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lindblom
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
Co-Owner of a video game development company
badge
I worked on Earthbound
mbmbmbmbmb
I quit submitting images since it was more frustrating than worth trying to contribute.

Kind of sad, really.

It would never even occur to me to reject your pictures, though I'm not a Formula De player (played once)...the logic defies explanation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Well, what catagory would they be in? People? Nope. Creative? Nope. How about "game"? Yes, that is the one I put them in.
Sorry, I don't agree with you here: The cars on the picture is NOT something included in the base game, thus they should NOT be in the GAME category, and if you uploaded them there, I would have declined them. You'd have much more success in the Creative category because that's where they belong. Oh yes, and if you want something approved in the GAME category, the WHOLE picture needs to be in focus. Again, more leniency is (usually) allowed in the CREATIVE category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:

Must be pretty cool running web content management for this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I appreciate them. Would love to see the endurance cars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
How about this? TAKE some smaller 'rulers' in every "measurements" and place those nearby these for a SCALE 'reference' with NEW photos to "submit". Even 'coins' if that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maksimov wrote:
hakko504 wrote:
You'd have much more success in the Creative category because that's where they belong. Oh yes, and if you want something approved in the GAME category, the WHOLE picture needs to be in focus. Again, more leniency is (usually) allowed in the CREATIVE category.

Will people not be able to handle creative photography unless it was categorized as such?

Besides, I think the creative part in these photos is quite subtle. You can clearly see the miniatures in front and the ones at the back that are out of focus(and are meant to be so) are just duplicates, right? You get the necessary information, but you get to see it in a more interesting way. Well at least more interesting to me anyway.

Honestly, this sounds a bit like when close ups were introduced into commercial film-making and people were complaining that they paid to see the stars and therefore wanted to see them completely from head to toe. Someone just wanted to do something nice and enhance viewing pleasure...a bit like here.
In the original post for splitting the galleries into 3 parts the following guidelines were given by Octavian:
Matthew M. Monin (Octavian) wrote:

Game - Images where the focus is on the game, the box, and/or unaltered components.

People - Images where people are prominently featured with the game

Creative - Images of the game that contain creative elements such as modified components or fun situations.

I will add this info to the GeekMod wiki page for further reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.