Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Preamble

The room is low lit. A toxic haze fills the room, enough to make eyes water for those less hardened to this seedy environment. Dim lighting barely illuminates a blue-green playing surface. Two players lean in from the shadows to eye each other warily across the gaming table between them, which is dotted with the three objects of their attention. While relatively new to the rules of this particular game, they are no longer complete novices. And they have a long history of rivalry. Each hopes to out-style the other, possibly with an astonishing long curve shot to sink the ... duck.

Yes, well... once we changed our daugher's nappy, cleared the air, and turned up the lights so we could see the table a little better we got down to actually playing...

The Setup

Spread out between us we had the "Advanced Board for 2-6 Players", from the top right of page 18. This layout has each bouy sticking out on it's own little peninsula, and we were interested to see how hard it would be to get in, u-turn, and get out. Also whether the likely delay would up the usefulness of bird-dog control in a two player game.

At the outset I placed my duck first, and my wife placed her duck heading for the same first bouy, judging (correctly) that her cards would allow her to move unhindered but interfere with me. She claimed the first bouy, I claimed the bird dog and sent it off toward the bouy I would go for second.

My first bonus action was the "swap with the bird dog" action, and by a cunning misinterpretation of the rules AND forgetting that I read the correct explanation only two days ago, I reached the bouy then swapped with the bird dog AND played a second movement card on that turn. (Having swapped off the bouy with my bonus action, I shouldna played another card.)

As I hit the second bouy, my wife sued for custody of the dog and ran it right up to my nose while she headed off for the other bouy (her second). But the special action chit I got for my second bouy was the one that lets my duck bonk like a doggy... so my duck (acting like a doggy) bonked the doggy (which looks like a duck) and sent it off the board, while I ploughed straight on through for a four-step rush taking me almost half way toward my third bouy.

My wife got into a little trouble with her second bouy... even though she used her "replace all cards" special action at this point she still ended up with cards that left her facing "sideways" in the "neck" of the peninsula. Fortunately her next draw saved her with a "step sideways" card. Even so, the couple of turns taking short steps and not entirely in the right direction was the couple of turns lead I needed to get the third bouy.

As we exited the peninsula almost side by side, she yet to make for her third bouy and me heading for the gurgler, she made one final and supremely well considered effort to cut me off. She would have had me bonk her and thus turn back toward the bird dog, meaning I'd be a strong contender for more doggy bonking under her stern control, but alas for her I pulled out a trick shot... my last special action disk was "take one step and face (almost) any direction" and combined with the card I'd played gave me a choice of two distinct paths to reach the drain.

Splosh!

So, yes, the "Advanced Board for 2-6 Players" with the peninsula setup does indeed appear to offer more leverage out of the bird dog, and more challenges trying to navigate getting in and back out.

Bonking Your Own Dog

One thing... we do find that in the setups we've played so far if a player has reached zero or one bouy then there's rarely any material benefit in hunting them down with the bird dog. It seems almost always more useful to coordinate yourself to bonk your own dog just after reaching a bouy so that you can benefit by (a) sending yourself to a start space near your next target and (b) avoid having to turn around to get away from the bouy you just got. You can often save about three turns bonking your own dog, while you're lucky if you can penalise another player by even one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
You can often save about three turns bonking your own dog

Sadly it's illegal in all Australian states except Tasmania (where it's compulsory).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
game_boy wrote:
jgrundy wrote:
You can often save about three turns bonking your own dog
Sadly it's illegal in all Australian states except Tasmania (where it's compulsory).
Sadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.