Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The rules says, "A room can only be revealed (turned face-up) if one of your characters has direct access to it before it is revealed." Does this mean you have to be right next to it, or only that you have line-of-sight to it and it's within reach of your char's later movement?

2) Is it assumed if you share the same space with one of your wounded characters that you must be carrying him? Or can you state at the end of your turn that you're just occupying the same space? (I'm guessing it's assumed that you're carrying him.)

3) The rules say, "To place a Rope over a Pit Trap, you need to have at least two valid squares adjacent to the Pit Trap at the moment you place the Rope. A valid square, is a square on which a character can stand."

I'm not sure I understand the logic to this, but I want to make sure I understand it. Suppose I have a different chars on opposite sides of a pit (with those two squares being the only "entrance squares" to the pit). If one of them has the rope, he can move over the pit but cannot leave the rope on the pit. However, as he moves past the other char, he can hand him the rope. Assuming you have another AP, that char can now walk over pit and leave it, simply because there are now 2 valid squares adjacent to the pit, after which he can either continue in the same direction or go back to where he came from. (Also, the 1st char could have left the rope if a 3rd open square had been adjacent to the pit.) All that seems to be a goofy subrule that can too easily be forgotten, but is my understanding correct?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A Few Questions
JYoder wrote:

1) The rules says, "A room can only be revealed (turned face-up) if one of your characters has direct access to it before it is revealed." Does this mean you have to be right next to it, or only that you have line-of-sight to it and it's within reach of your char's later movement?

2) Is it assumed if you share the same space with one of your wounded characters that you must be carrying him? Or can you state at the end of your turn that you're just occupying the same space? (I'm guessing it's assumed that you're carrying him.)

3) The rules say, "To place a Rope over a Pit Trap, you need to have at least two valid squares adjacent to the Pit Trap at the moment you place the Rope. A valid square, is a square on which a character can stand."

I'm not sure I understand the logic to this, but I want to make sure I understand it. Suppose I have a different chars on opposite sides of a pit (with those two squares being the only "entrance squares" to the pit). If one of them has the rope, he can move over the pit but cannot leave the rope on the pit. However, as he moves past the other char, he can hand him the rope. Assuming you have another AP, that char can now walk over pit and leave it, simply because there are now 2 valid squares adjacent to the pit, after which he can either continue in the same direction or go back to where he came from. (Also, the 1st char could have left the rope if a 3rd open square had been adjacent to the pit.) All that seems to be a goofy subrule that can too easily be forgotten, but is my understanding correct?

Thanks in advance.

1. You have to be on a space adjacent to the unrevealed room. Note that after the room is revealed, a wall might be between your character and the room!

2. Being in the same space as one of your own wounded characters and carrying him are the same thing ruleswise. There's no such thing in the game as being in the space but not carrying him.

3. What they mean is that you can't place the rope if the pit has no other side. Suppose that circumstances have caused a pit to have walls on three of the sides. If you come from the fourth side, you can't place the rope on the pit. Or, suppose that the sides of a pit are all more pits. Here again, you couldn't place the rope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As to #2, it can't really make much of a difference, as Douglas suggests, since there can't be three tokens in a space at the end of the turn anyway.

There are a lot of rope-related questions, but, IIRC, Douglas has it right. It's not meant to be very prohibitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
A good rule of thumb with the rope is that you can't cross from one obstacle square to another obstacle square using the rope.

It's not perfect, but it's pretty accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

dbuel wrote:
3. What they mean is that you can't place the rope if the pit has no other side. Suppose that circumstances have caused a pit to have walls on three of the sides. If you come from the fourth side, you can't place the rope on the pit. Or, suppose that the sides of a pit are all more pits. Here again, you couldn't place the rope.

Interesting. So what's the logic to that? Why shouldn't I be able to put a rope on a pit if there's only one entrance to it? Strategically, I don't see why it should matter, but good to know that in my example the first char could leave the rope.

jpat wrote:
As to #2, it can't really make much of a difference, as Douglas suggests, since there can't be three tokens in a space at the end of the turn anyway.

Not sure what you mean by this. Why would there be 3 tokens? It's just your char and your wounded char, for two tokens.

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

dbuel wrote:

Interesting. So what's the logic to that?

I guess they don't want the rope to be the same as flying. By the way, along these lines, in Paladins and Dragons they issued a clarification: A character with a rope may move onto a trap or rift, but cannot move directly from that square to either a trap or a rift square.

In other words, a rope never lets you move over two consecutive trap spaces. Or two rift spaces. Or a trap and then a rift. Or a trap and then lava ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbuel wrote:
JYoder wrote:

dbuel wrote:

Interesting. So what's the logic to that?

I guess they don't want the rope to be the same as flying.

I havent asked Chris about this, but from my own personal observations I can say that the rope, if you could move from obstacle to obstacle, would be way too powerful - as it stands, I rarely see a tournament force without a rope.

It also differentiates the rope from the Thief and flying characters.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

Interesting. So what's the logic to that? Why shouldn't I be able to put a rope on a pit if there's only one entrance to it? Strategically, I don't see why it should matter, but good to know that in my example the first char could leave the rope.

Thematically you need two clear squares to tie the rope to & leave it stretched across the pit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Ivanov
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many action points must spent a wall-walker to go through double wall?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
igorigorevich wrote:
How many action points must spent a wall-walker to go through double wall?

One. Her power is from center of square to center of square, whether there are one or two walls in the way.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Ivanov
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric, thanks a lot. Another question: Can one character to attack twice in one turn (different enemy characters)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
U.S. 95th Infantry Division - The Iron Men of Metz
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a character can attack more than once per turn, but they need to spend an Action Point each time.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
igorigorevich wrote:
Eric, thanks a lot. Another question: Can one character to attack twice in one turn (different enemy characters)?

As Geoff said: Yes.

As long as you didn't wound them, you can even attack the same character multiple times (at a cost of 1AP per attack).

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.