Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have actually found that this game in deeper than Ingenious. There are more choices in how you can play with this game. There is room for cut-throat maneuvers as well as friendly almost cooperative play. Although that in just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen that among older people Qwirkle is viral, especially among the Scrabble crowd.

My mom-in-law bought it and now all of her friends have it. They're all Scrabble-philes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Qwirkle once. As far as weight, I thought that it was on par with Ingenious.

The play really does feel like a game of scrabble (sans triple word square). If your mom likes Scrabble I could see her really taking to qwirkle.

But, for me, after playing it, I thought I didn't need to get it since we have Ingenious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Drew1365 wrote:
And I have no option to try before I buy.

A print & play version would be extremely easy to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
It's a good light game that appeals to non-gamers. I think it's lighter than Ingenious, but there's still enough there to make it a good family game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's interesting, I've played it twice; once with a group of gamers and then once with my family. It played VERY differently. With the gamers it was sort of boring. Nobody was willing to set anybody up and played very defensively which made it hard to "qwirkle" unless you saved up tiles. With my family it was wild and wooly. Qwirkles all over teh place...so many places to qwirkle that you lost track sometimes. I found that more fun. Not sure if that is representative, but thats' been my experience so far. Frankly, if you already have Blokus and Ingenious, I'm not sure you really need Qwirkly unless folks are getting tired of the others. I'd try to get them out of the abstract area into some slightly more involved games (the theme exists mainly to give you teh ability to pile on a few more layers of rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my one play of Qwirkle, it sounds like its the perfect game for your scrabble-fiend family to jump into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle is a great game for the casual or non-gamers. It works well with older folks as well as children. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't enjoy many abstracts, but Ingenious and Quirkle are two of the few that I do. Simple rules, fast play, and interesting choices to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fun game Drew. I can't recall how old your kids are but I've played with Z (5yo) and he does pretty good with it. I would say it is a really good family game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Humphreys
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules of Qwirkle and was unconvinced. It really does seem that there isn't a real game in there.

Then I played a demo copy at the local FLGS with my wife. It was a really good game; I think it is better than Ingenious. The components are top notch as well. My wife, not really a gamer, liked it so much that she asked for it for Christmas. The only other game she ever requested for herself was Blokus.

I didn't hesitate to buy it for her, and it is wrapped in the corner at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhonda Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
I don't enjoy many abstracts, but Ingenious and Quirkle are two of the few that I do. Simple rules, fast play, and interesting choices to make.

Ditto to this comment.

I prefer Ingenious to Qwirkle, and I think it has a bit more strategy. You can block in Qwirkle, but the opportunities don't come up as often as in Ingenious. (The other strategy approach is the don't set people up, which as someone else mentioned can get tedious if you're too focused on that.)

That said, I like Qwirkle too. It has a nice tactile appeal, is a fun quick game to play, and definitely goes over well with the non/casual gamers while still being fun for most gamers. I think the scoring is definitely easier to grasp for non-gamers. The only reason our copy doesn't get more plays is outside of game night a lot of our gaming takes place over dinner and the amount of table a game of Qwirkle will take up is too unpredictable when you need space for plates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
...The play really does feel like a game of scrabble (sans triple word square)...

Actually it does have a 'bonus score' ... complete a set of 6 and you get extra points (can't remember how many at the moment).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I don't really care for Qwirkle, although almost everyone else in our game group likes it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
dwrigley wrote:
Jatoha wrote:
...The play really does feel like a game of scrabble (sans triple word square)...

Actually it does have a 'bonus score' ... complete a set of 6 and you get extra points (can't remember how many at the moment).

6 bonus points. And a double Qwirkle earns 12 bonus points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hubbard
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading this with interest, agreeing with everybody here who posted positively about Qwirkle...then I realized that I have never played QWIRKLE, but a different game called QUIDDLER, which is basically SCRABBLE on cards. The older-gen Scrabble players at my house are thrilled by Quiddler, FWIW.

Sorry for my error, but I thought I'd throw in one more game to mess you up for you to peruse.

Happy decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hubbard
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I just picked up a copy of Quiddler at a thrift store for a $1.49. Not sure I'll like it. Gin Rummy with words.

True dat. One point it does have in its favor is that it is extremely portable. Mom and I played it on a plane flight back from TX, and you KNOW how tiny those back-of-the-seat trays are... so, I guess if there's nothing else to do, it's a good starter/filler game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does well with my family. I like it but I can get maxed out if asked to play over and over. There are ocassions for strategy but mostly a good tactical game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
For abstract placement games, I really like Quads, Pylos, and Through the Desert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
With the holidays coming up, and plenty of gaming opportunities, I think it's a good bet. And relatively speaking, it's CHEAP!

You'll be glad you got yourself copies before I snapped 'em all up. I'm buying copies for my kids (5 and 3) both sets of nephews and maybe even my classroom since it seems hefty enough component-wise for getting abused by the hooligans!

The thing I can't believe is that I didn't tumble to this game earlier. It took one of Amazon's famous, "If you love this, you just HAVE to buy THIS" ads for me to find it!

MJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to re-visit my decision to not get this. My daughter (the non-gamer one) saw this in the mindware catalog and said, "I LOVE that game." She played with me the one time I played it.

To hear her say she loves a game is very unusual, she does not like Ingenious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Brown
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught it to a friend a couple months ago that plays at best card games and things slightly less mainstream than monopoly, and he and his girlfriend asked to play it twice more before the weekend was out. I ended up selling him my copy and getting another, they liked it so much. I've also played it with kids, and they are usually ruthlessly good at it. My friend's 8 yr old absolutely crushed us, he caught on so fast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.