Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered the game and was wondering how easy it is to learn. Are there any good video tutorials or anything? Any good teaching articles or players' aids? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
scottandkimr wrote:
I just ordered the game and was wondering how easy it is to learn. Are there any good video tutorials or anything? Any good teaching articles or players' aids? Thanks!

I learned this game from someone who only played once before we played.

The rulebook for this game (which can be found here) is rather an easy read.

I'd suggest you sit down with whomever you will be playing against and just read through the rules with possible examples out.

The difficult part to learn - I think - is the debate phase. I had to reread that two or three times before I got the hang of it.

Good Luck.

Great Game.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few possibilities:

On Boardgames podcast (audio only), episode 17, from 29:20 (29 min 20 sec) to about 36:30
http://www.onboardgames.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=302566
This is a nice, shorter summary of the game.

Into the Gamescape podcast (audio only), episode 26, from 1:02:00 to 1:26:00
http://www.thegamescape.co.uk/?p=152
This is a longer 2-person discussion of the game, including some comments from regular listeners to the podcast.

And the player aid that comes with the game is really helpful, too; it's on the last page of this PDF:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/27085

A significant part of the game is getting accustomed to the main deck of cards. If you like to be surprised, then don't check it out at all. If you want to be more prepared, go through the cards and see what's out there.

Good luck!

P.S. There's a new silent video on YouTube about the game, labeled "bestdanggames". It provides an overview, but I wonder if it glosses over too much (and may have some inaccuracies), so I don't think I would recommend it.

Edit: added "(audio only)" to the podcast descriptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this - I just got this in a Math Trade and can't wait to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second that the debate round is the trickiest part -- both in execution and preparation. Otherwise, the complete summary on the back of the rulebook is pretty darn inclusive.

In any case, it's the sort of game that essentially requires stumbling blindly through the first time -- and that's MUCH better to do with someone else in the same boat, rather than learning with an experienced player.

Fortunately, it's engaging enough that you'll prolly be glad you did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1960 isn't difficult to learn. I'd say that Agricola or Race to the Galaxy might be tougher (not that they're difficult either).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it is not too difficult to learn from the book. I read it through twice and had about 95 percent down. I had to look a couple of things up and missed one rule (discard excess cards at the end of the campaing phase).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning to do a video tutorial/review of 1960 at some point, hopefully soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.