Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which one should I get? not really sure. I'm reading about them now, but thought I would ask for peoples thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Europe is considered the best game of the lot.

The original (U.S.) game would be best for American audiences who are either non-gamers or unfamiliar with world geography.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For introducing new players, the USA version is the best. I've had problems of rainbow hoarding in Europe. If I know for sure I'm only going to play with 2-3 people, I'd go with Nordic Countries. I like the production values on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
disclaimer: I haven't played with the 1910 expansion.

I knew after one game of TTR:Europe that I'd never play the original map again. Adding the medium-range (green) tickets only improved a great game.

edited to add: I've also downloaded the fan-made TTR: Netherlands, and am eager to print and play it when I can finally afford to. I'm sure there are other great 'slash' maps out there one could play with pieces from any of the base games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian was asking the same thing earlier in the week.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/357031/page/1

I like the original best (even better with the 1910 expansion). But Europe is also pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin S
Poland
Warszawa
EU
flag msg tools
M s b S
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would suggest that you get Ticket to Ride: Märklin. I know that many people say it's fiddly, and that they are rather unfamiliar with the map, and that it's unnecessarily complicated. But I personally think it's great.
I love the art (each card is different, and each features a model train that Marklin Trains company is selling). And I love the additional choices that the passengers give you. The endgame is particularly fun and tense. You have many connections built, so you may risk drawing additional ticket cards (maybe you've already got the line in place), or you might aim for extra points by building even more connections, or try to score by sending your passenger to grab some bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo M. Corrêa
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for the USA. I have both Usa end Europe. But I can tell you that USA hits the table 3 times more than Europe, for 3 reasons: it is a more friendly map(you are american, so that fits for you), it has more long routes(wich are very satisfy to complete) and it is more competitive with a lot of optinons to block your oponnent if you want to!

And another thing: you can expand it later with USA 1910 or Switzerland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'll add to the confusion and say U.S.A. is a much superior game. Out of the things that TTR:Europe added, the only ones I REALLY like are ferries (routes that REQUIRE a locomotive) and splitting up the routes into short and long ones.

I don't have a strong opinion of stations but, to me, TTR is all about being an intensely simple, elegant game that anybody can get into so, adding more rules for something that doesn't really make the game better seems pointless.

Tunnels I abhor. Stupid, stupid mechanism that should have never been implemented (plus it adds another thing to explain... which when dealing with non-gamers IS a big deal)

Finally, I've heard people say that the Europe map is a lot more balanced than the USA one. I strongly disagree. I don't think I've ever seen a game of TTR Europe that was won by someone who focused on Western Europe. The Eastern side of the board is way, way, WAY more lucrative and unbalanced (moreso than the north in TTR:USA) and the single 8 train route is an enormous difference maker.

I haven't played the 1910 expansion but have heard good things about it so, you might want to consider leaving that possibility open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely U.S.A. map

IMHO:

U.S.A.: wonderful!

Europe: it adds some rules, but blocking strategy doesn't work. Quite boring!

Swiss: gulp horrible map not only for gameplay..

I didnt try Germany and NC yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a European wargamer and I had thesame question way back. In the end I choose the original and here is why:
I don't care for tunnels / stations and rail lines in the sea put me off of TTR Europe.
TTR Märklin has nice twists but I did not care for transporting ugly passenger pieces nor the pale Board of Germany. I personally don't like the cards at all either.
In my opinion the original TTR captures the best atmosphere and flavor of the train game, straight forward loads of color and no fuss. If you want more afterwards, you can always consider Europe or Märklin.
Anyhow, that is just my opinion and I am glad with the original to play with family and friends. Never felt the need for the other versions evr after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly prefer the Nordic map. If the ferries and/or tunnels strike you as annoying, simply remove those rules and treat them as normal tracks.

If you do that, you also need to change the rules for the wild cards - when teaching the game to my partner, I just told her that there was a limit of one wild per route. It works well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
USA with 1910 is the best. However, if you dont want to buy the 1910 expanison on top of the base game -- go with Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to say go with Ticket to Ride: Europe. It's a better game with more to do than the original without being too complicated. I also think Europe is the most flexible based on the number of players, working well from 2-5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Depends on the number of players.

Nordic Countries is by far the best, imho, for 2 or 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you cover up Norway then you can chortle about how Sweden and Finland look a bit like a willy.

It's all-round entertainment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Dunning
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not get them all?

Seriously, I'll echo the majority and say that for more than 3 players, Europe is best. But if you are more likely to play with juts 2-3, go Nordic. If you can get both, you should because none of the larger ones play quite as well with less than 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tavenner
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I recently had to make this decision myself, and for me it came down to how confrontational of a game you want. I personally did not want games that encourage a player to harm another in order to win because while some of the guys in group would embrace that - for that very reason it would turn off the rest.

I got Ticket to Ride: Europe, and it has turned out to be a big hit. So much so that I am considering now getting the original, although the girls in my group have suggested that we play the original while using the stations from europe. It seems the other differences between the original and europe as much more minor to the gaming experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For gamers: Marklin

For non-gamers: USA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up some settlers roads (to use as trains) and some cones to use as stations, as part of a plan to expand TTR Nordic for four players. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure that with a little tweaking, it should work okay.

Adding a station or three per player to Nordic would probably go a long way towards eliminating any unwanted aggression, if that's a concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
james_bond wrote:

Europe: it adds some rules, but blocking strategy doesn't work. Quite boring!

I wouldn't be trying to play TTR blocking strategies with non-gamers or newbies. No better way to turn OFF people from gaming...

Let them learn the game and enjoy the mechanics before drawing the long knives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original + 1910 expansion, with that combination you cannot go wrong. It is the only TTR game that still hits our table on a somewhat regular basis. I would steer clear from the Nordic edition gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.