Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading many threads on this topic, and being a victim, myself, of what I consider some rather myopic evaluations of submitted material, I offer the following suggestion for an alternative method, and welcome any and all critique of it.

1) Enable thumbs down for images.
2) Offer small amount of gg for modding - approval or disapproval makes no difference to amount.
3) If any image, after being approved, collects 5 thumbs down (or any other number agreed upon), it's removed from BGG.

In other words, there is no incentive for a modder to shoot down an image, and if it does get approved (which will thus be more likely), it can still end up being disapproved by viewers of the content for a particular game (i.e., those who possibly have more of a vested interest in, or better understanding of, that game), given adequate consensus.

Maybe this isn't feasible, but I do know I don't care for how the system currently works (or fails, if you prefer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the myopic geekmodders call your images blurry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they simply ignored the context of the pictures, that precluded them from being "too similar" and such. In short, they didn't see the big picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BLAMMO!
mb
I like the idea of thumbs down. The number of thumbs down needed to remove the image may need to be based on the total number of votes and not just a flat number. Otherwise, images with several ratings are bound to get 5 (or whatever number) thumbs down and removed even though most people like the image.

There have been a few images recently that were just horrid and should not have been approved. (The looked like someone set up the board or some pieces and then snapped a picture with their camera phone as they did a somersault over the items.) I rejected the images, but the submitters were persistent and after multiple tries they finally got approved. Even though the guidelines are pretty straightforward, I think some people focus on only certain parts of them and approve pictures that may have good content, but were not photographed well (or vice versa).

I've also experienced the opposite of this when images are rejected and I don't see anything wrong with them. For this, it may be helpful to show the modders why other modders rejected the image. The person submitting the image is given this info so it shouldn't be difficult to provide it to the modders as well. I think this would eliminate some confusion and it would be helpful to know what I am overlooking when everyone else rejects and image that looks ok to me.

Thanks for bringing this up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
No, they simply ignored the context of the pictures, that precluded them from being "too similar" and such. In short, they didn't see the big picture.

Perhaps you can explain in a little more detail?

I'm not sure how two similar images become "not too similar" with any sort of context. It's an image submission, not a session report.

But, I'm interested in hearing other opinions & interpretations.

There are a lot of pictures, especially ones submitted in "Creative" or "People" that I think are great, but end up getting declined, while others get accepted.

Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
I'm not sure how two similar images become "not too similar" with any sort of context. Ian

I can't speak for the original poster, but I had images rejected for the same reason, although they were not like anything else I could find.

I created custom "do not enter" markers for Powergrid to delineate areas of the map that were not being used that session. All they saw were photos of the board. They never bothered to look beyond that. Photos of the markers themselves have gotten several thumbs up, but I haven't been able to show them in context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terrible, terrible idea. A thumb is a thumb - you can give it because you like the content, because you can use the content, because you're just in the mood to thumb or just because you like the submitter of the content. Thumbs down to vote content out would most likely work just work the same way. I don't like X so I vote down to help get rid of his content. Hey, today I'm in such a destructive mood, lets give out some thumbs down...
How would you ever want to prevent the abuse of such a system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
G M K wrote:

How would you ever want to prevent the abuse of such a system?

Not that difficult, I would think - make it necessary to have enough thumbs down to be a certain percentage of the number of times viewed.

Unless, of course, you justifiably have a very pessimistic outlook about the average person on BGG, that should work pretty well.

The pictures that were accused of being too similar were:

1) Pictures of a game of War Without Mercy in progress (German invasion of Soviet Union, WWII). These pictures showed the entire Russian front from the German perspective (west looking east), which had not been done in any other pictures. They also showed what was turning out to be a conflict following pretty historical lines (also something definitely not previously captured in images). These are the specifics of the context within which the images were certainly not similar to previous ones. But I wouldn't expect a modder who is not a wargamer to grasp that, which leads to why in the hell they volunteered to mod wargame images in the first place, when they either aren't interested, or simply not qualified.

2) A picture of a full-colour 3-Dimensional contour map I built for Trainsport Austria. The map has 5 levels of elevation, which makes playing the game somewhat more intuitive, something of a geography lesson on Austria, and just more pleasant to look at. The only thing I can figure is that a 3D contour map of Austria is "too similar" to a flat, primarily white map of Austria. Again, I suspect the modder(s) who called it "too similar" did not even compare the map with the one that came with the game, and so ignorace of context again kills the submission.

In short, some of those who want to collect some GG mod images, and turn submissions down without even being knowledgeable about the specific game or the components included - cannot, apparently, even be bothered to look at images of the original components, or look at the other images at all, before making any sort of decision.

The ones who can be counted on to take such issues of context into consideration are those who are actually interested in the game, and are viewing the images after they have been approved. As it is, they often never get the chance, because a disinterested party has already precluded the possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.