Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I just bought the game a few weeks ago and had it sent to my house in the United States. I'm currently in Beijing, China and won't be able to play it until I get home on December 19th, 2008. I was hoping someone could show me the ropes on vassal before I got to the actual game.

Anyone interested, send me a geekmail.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm up for it! But learning Vassal and the CC:E system at the same time sounds like a daunting task. Also, what part of the East Coast are you from? I'm from Massachusetts and will be back there soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Urban
United States
Merrimack
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Where are you guys located? I'm in southern new hampshire and we have been playing CC:E lately. Fantastic game. The only problem I see with Vassal is the op fire and interrupts. Not a big problem if both people are playing real time with headphones and talking but over email it can go like this:

Bob: Plays move order on this leader and these 4 units. Move 1 unit 1 hex. Emails Fred to ask "Any op fire?"

Fred: Emails back and says "nope"

Bob: Moves the same unit one more hex and emails Fred to ask "Any op fire?"

Etc, etc...

That's just one unit out of possibly say 6 units moving 4 or 5 hexes each with 6 possible orders a turn! It can get silly.

Just my 2 cents!

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
will_urban wrote:
Where are you guys located? I'm in southern new hampshire and we have been playing CC:E lately. Fantastic game. The only problem I see with Vassal is the op fire and interrupts. Not a big problem if both people are playing real time with headphones and talking but over email it can go like this:

Bob: Plays move order on this leader and these 4 units. Move 1 unit 1 hex. Emails Fred to ask "Any op fire?"

Fred: Emails back and says "nope"

Bob: Moves the same unit one more hex and emails Fred to ask "Any op fire?"

Etc, etc...

That's just one unit out of possibly say 6 units moving 4 or 5 hexes each with 6 possible orders a turn! It can get silly.

Just my 2 cents!

-Will

I assume by email you mean sends a chat message in the in game window? I didn't think Vassal could do PBEM?

Anyway, if my assumption is true, there is actually a button on the toolbar (top right for me) called "stop." The purpose of this button is for exactly the situation you describe. Player X moves his units one space at a time and pauses for one second at each hex. If player Y wants to play op fire he pushes the "stop" button and the game announces "Suspend play: Player Y wishes to play an action/reaction card" (there's also the sound effect of a machine gun to make it noticeable).

I can teach via Vassal - i have a ventrilo server (www.ventrilo.com) as well as skype for voice comms. If any are interested in playing sometime between 9am and 1pm EST (-5 GMT) either tomorrow or friday (Dec 4th and 5th).

I could even spectate as you guys play and help teach as you go

Send me an email to bridger15@gmail.com if anybody is interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan McDermott
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are there people actively PBEMing CC? I'd get in on some of that action if people generally find it fun.

I'm sure it's not as good as F2F or live over VASSAL but I just don't have time for a long sitting like that.

So impressions of PBEM anyone?

cheers,
morgan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still around today if anybody is interested. Find me on the vassal server (if it is up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Young
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:

I assume by email you mean sends a chat message in the in game window? I didn't think Vassal could do PBEM?

I thought you could save the game in progress and e-mail that saved file to your opponent... or is this something only for some games (mods,) and not others???

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, i recently found out you can in fact play it PBEM. It seems very inconvenient though, as you'd have to stop after every move and send them the game file. Like, every single hex you move. Much better to play live with skype IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei Jen Seah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with Adam, live Vassal is THE way to play CC:E...especially if you play with Adam

(Hint: dont be afraid of his Soviet flamethrowers!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan McDermott
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well I think (not that I've ever played a PBEM game) that you can play out your entire move and then send the game file. Your oppenent then steps thru each of your moves stopping if and when they want to play an action. This action is recorded and sent back to you. So in theory your opponent never sees your moves past the point that they interrupted.

Certainly not the best way to play but I'd still like to try it if only to be able to play a couple of turns of CC:E everyday. So if anyone wants to try it drop me an PM.

Bridger wrote:
No, i recently found out you can in fact play it PBEM. It seems very inconvenient though, as you'd have to stop after every move and send them the game file. Like, every single hex you move. Much better to play live with skype IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah, a good point morgan, i hadn't thought of that. I supose it's a passable way. Though i wish i found more people online on vassal! I was online all day hoping for a game but nobody showed up

Put yourself on the mailing list on vassalengine.org. I usually send out emails the night before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.